reflux?

buttonnose82

Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
Lucas is now 4 weeks old and was discharged on thursday

How possible is it for him too only just be developing reflux?? a couple times in hospital he did show a few signs on reflux but nothing consistent but these last few days it seems too go on all day every day. He is very unsettled, being sick alot, even 2 hours after a feed he is throwing up, I have too sit and hold him upright for over an hour after every feed because if I try lay him down before that he struggles, gulping alot like he is fighting acid, it's too the point now where he won't even take a full feed, instead just taking little snacks here and there and i believe it is because he is getting the reflux while eating also

could he develop reflux at 4 weeks?

Alex only developed reflux at 8 weeks corrected (so 20 1/2 weeks) it's defiantly something that can just develop, and come and go.

Normally *touch wood, and we aren't "normally" here * it calms about 6 months/weaning time/when they are more upright than on their backs. It's super common with preemies.

Has Lucas been prescribed anything yet? It doesn't have to start with strong meds, Infant Gaviscon or a change of formula like SMA Staydown (if you are FF) could help loads! Both are available on prescription.

You can try Staydown, they sell it in Tesco and Boots. If it does work, just tell your GP the pharmacist said you can get it on prescription. Voila!

Alexander only developed reflux after coming home too. We find elevating his cot on one end with books helps and he takes gaviscon in every feed and also takes ranitidine to ease the acid. Hope you get it sorted soon x

Reece had it while in neonatal but they elevated his cot and seemed to help then he got it back when he came home, and now on gaviscon 4 times a day and Ranitidine 2 times a day. Elevating the cot at home we did as well. Contact ur gp or paediatrician and they will be able to prescribe something. It is very common in preemies xx

Niamh was about 6 weeks old so one week corrected when I first noticed it. The GP wouldent give her anything because it wasent causing her to loose weight even though she would wake choking in the night. Keeping her elevated helped, she lived in the wrap.

Just spoken too his special care outreach nurse and the DR, they have prescribed infant gaviscon so need too go pick that up ....... is it just 1 sachet?? (he is 4lb 3.5oz so well under the 10lb for 1 sachet) so does he have 1 sachet or would he have less??

Poor baby was up ALL night last night, we have raised the end of his moses basket heaps but even that didn't help, the only way he could sleep was too be totally upright, it's heartbreaking too watch :(

its just one sachet per feed depending on what dosage they have given you. They come in double sachets and you use 1 per feed. Takes a few days t work but does help, My lo got immune to it i think tho so after it was upped they decided to put him on Ranitidine which is helping loads.xx

My son a 25 developed Reflux @ 38 weeks gestation so it is very possible. Its good that they prescribed medication and the dosage will be calculated according to the baby's weight. My son was on dom peridom and zantac for many months until he outgrew the reflux.

Sounds a lot like how Jamie was - he established sucking feeds very quickly and came out very quick then so it wasn't til he was home that I noticed a problem and even then it was after a couple of weeks at home so it can look like it is delayed onset. I didn't have much success trying to bf him and use gaviscon so we went onto prescription thickened formula called EnfamilAR and that sorted it out loads better without needing ranitidine or anything else.
Jonny amazingly doesn't have reflux. I can't quite believe it, but I'm gobsmacked there exists a preemie who doesn't have reflux. The difference in the 2 of them is incredible.

Sounds a lot like how Jamie was - he established sucking feeds very quickly and came out very quick then so it wasn't til he was home that I noticed a problem and even then it was after a couple of weeks at home so it can look like it is delayed onset. I didn't have much success trying to bf him and use gaviscon so we went onto prescription thickened formula called EnfamilAR and that sorted it out loads better without needing ranitidine or anything else.
Jonny amazingly doesn't have reflux. I can't quite believe it, but I'm gobsmacked there exists a preemie who doesn't have reflux. The difference in the 2 of them is incredible.

Amazingly holly never had reflux and was the least sicky baby I know. Unfortunately starting nursery at 1 corrected has left her constantly congested which makes her a sicky toddler :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->