Refreshing talk today with HV's regarding BFing

L I think here they just dont have the time to discuss these sorts of things, we dont have any checks with them at all any more other than if you want your LO to be weighed. There are 408 under 5's per HV in my borough, how can they possibly support in the way they should?

Which is why they should just cover it briefly in ante-natal classes and give out the relevant info before people leave hospital.

Well then I guess it's safe to say that BF moms shouldn't have the support and information available either, being as some of us know how to latch our baby on and properly feed them also. If a problem arises, oh well, guess there's no support available to help.

What if FF was the norm, and you wanted to BF but there was no information available or help?

FF is the norm in the UK hun, statistically I mean.

I

What concerns me, is that if leaflets for both are left in waiting rooms for example, an expectant mum may pick up a B/F leaflet, read that yes, it has benefits, but you may get thrush, may get mastistis, you have to get the latch right, you are the sole feeder etc....and then pick up a FF leaflet and see it as the 'easier' option. It may sway them from B/F to FF. Thats where my problem lies..xx

thats my view as well. BF doesn't look like an attractive proposition on paper like that, especially if the mum has never come across BF IRL.

Well then I guess it's safe to say that BF moms shouldn't have the support and information available either, being as some of us know how to latch our baby on and properly feed them also. If a problem arises, oh well, guess there's no support available to help.

What if FF was the norm, and you wanted to BF but there was no information available or help?

Why is it safe to say that? That is not what people are in the most saying.

Throughout this thread people on both sides of the fence have agreed that there should be some level of information available and lots of examples have been given as to where it is available. For days now (and it has been days. We have been at this for ages) the disagreement has focussed on what information should be available and in what form/ how.

You know what I mean - if all of the information was given on FF and not BF, I'd say there would be a lot of BF moms upset and confused. That's all.

Throughout this thread people on both sides of the fence have agreed that there should be some level of information available and lots of examples have been given as to where it is available. For days now (and it has been days. We have been at this for ages) the disagreement has focussed on what information should be available and in what form/ how.

I'm talking about those who make it sound as if FF should be easy and moms should just know what to do - it isn't always that way.

And it was to those who don't think the information should be available at all.

I'm talking about those who make it sound as if FF should be easy and moms should just know what to do - it isn't always that way.

And it was to those who don't think the information should be available at all.

Even the very passionate BFers have agreed information should be available. Their concerns relate to how and why this should happen.

Oi. All I'm trying to say is that it should be EQUALLY available.

I have read posts on here that it should only be available after the mom asks bc she decides to bf, that moms should be able to research the information on their own, etc.

I'm just trying to say that it should be offered as an equal option to both sides, and that FF moms should not be made to feel like less of a mother no matter the reason they decide to FF.

I have read posts on here that it should only be available after the mom asks bc she decides to bf, that moms should be able to research the information on their own, etc.

I'm just trying to say that it should be offered as an equal option to both sides, and that FF moms should not be made to feel like less of a mother no matter the reason they decide to FF.

I dont think any one has said no information at all should be avaliable, some have said if mum asks, some say at discharge or when mum changes from BF to FF, some have said antenatally and widely avaliable. Just different opinons,thats all.

“Oi” :haha: sorry but had to chuckle at that :haha:

“Oi” :haha: sorry but had to chuckle at that :haha:

Lol sometimes I just want to shake my computer and yell at it because I can't get my point across

I don't think, currently at least, it is possible to give either FF or BF an equal amount of attention. Therefore, I think more attention needs to go BFing.

I work alongside some HVs and their budgets have been cut so drastically that they are not even allowed to do standard birth visits anymore. In a situation where the government is trying to save money, and in so doing, cutting alot of crucial services, I think it is only fair to pay more attention to BFing and its related support given that
a) it is, in my experience, an area that needs alot more support and improvement
b) the DH has it in its agenda to increase BFing figures.

I do know that children's centres that are trying to (or have already) gained Baby Friendly status are NOT allowed to promote FF in any way. They cannot have any displays or paraphernalia that includes bottles or things associated with FFing. Some HVs do work out of children's centres, and they do give advice on FFing, but for the most part, that is the extent of it.

I think it is unfair, because I am sure FFing can be tough as well, and it is unfair that moms seem not to get the same type of support, but in my opinion, in an age where the main aim is to push BFing, and the govt. is spending so much (use the term loosely) on trying to promote it in various ways, it would be counter-productive to then try to allocate an equal amount of resources and support for FF.

From a personal experience point of view, when I gave birth I was the only lady on the ward BFing, and I was "left to it". I didn't mind as it was my 2nd LO, and to be fair, they initially asked if I needed help. Anyway, there was HCAs or something like that, that were supporting the FF moms, how to hold the bottles etc. So from my observation, where I am, FF gets plenty support, and sometimes almost to the detriment of BFing, because the HV teams have recently failed their BF audit, perhaps because they don't get enough exposure to BFing.

I don't think, currently at least, it is possible to give either FF or BF an equal amount of attention. Therefore, I think more attention needs to go BFing.

I work alongside some HVs and their budgets have been cut so drastically that they are not even allowed to do standard birth visits anymore. In a situation where the government is trying to save money, and in so doing, cutting alot of crucial services, I think it is only fair to pay more attention to BFing and its related support given that
a) it is, in my experience, an area that needs alot more support and improvement
b) the DH has it in its agenda to increase BFing figures.

I do know that children's centres that are trying to (or have already) gained Baby Friendly status are NOT allowed to promote FF in any way. They cannot have any displays or paraphernalia that includes bottles or things associated with FFing. Some HVs do work out of children's centres, and they do give advice on FFing, but for the most part, that is the extent of it.

I think it is unfair, because I am sure FFing can be tough as well, and it is unfair that moms seem not to get the same type of support, but in my opinion, in an age where the main aim is to push BFing, and the govt. is spending so much (use the term loosely) on trying to promote it in various ways, it would be counter-productive to then try to allocate an equal amount of resources and support for FF.

From a personal experience point of view, when I gave birth I was the only lady on the ward BFing, and I was "left to it". I didn't mind as it was my 2nd LO, and to be fair, they initially asked if I needed help. Anyway, there was HCAs or something like that, that were supporting the FF moms, how to hold the bottles etc. So from my observation, where I am, FF gets plenty support, and sometimes almost to the detriment of BFing, because the HV teams have recently failed their BF audit, perhaps because they don't get enough exposure to BFing.

I agree it should not be the same amount but there should be some support avaliable.

Do you think the baby friendly thing would be the same for hospitals who are trying to/have gained there baby friendly status?

Why should something thats not so much the healthy option get more attention? Its the national HEALTH service, they want what's best health wise for us, and our children as it saves them money in the long run and they want a nation of healthy people.

You only need to look through the pregnancy and BF boards to see there is still A LOT of misinformation surrounding breastfeeding.

wait a minute you can get thrush from bf'ing? I new about mastitus (sp?) because I got it but thrush thats a whole other ball game you cant have sex while you have thrush can you?

Anyway back on topic.. Equal info for both should be given, Breastfeeding should always be reccomened over formula yes..

My mums told me before about how they used to but baby rice in bottles and use a pin to make the teat hole bigger so it would go though the bottle, now if I did not use the internet I would of proberly done just as my mum did as hey it did me no harm right? But its not safe we need to make sure babies are safe first and foremost!

Yes it is the national health service and it is about promoting good health. Therefore a mother needs to know how to make up a bottle, sterilise etc as if it isn't done properly a babies health will suffer x

wait a minute you can get thrush from bf'ing? I new about mastitus (sp?) because I got it but thrush thats a whole other ball game you cant have sex while you have thrush can you?

Anyway back on topic.. Equal info for both should be given, Breastfeeding should always be reccomened over formula yes..

My mums told me before about how they used to but baby rice in bottles and use a pin to make the teat hole bigger so it would go though the bottle, now if I did not use the internet I would of proberly done just as my mum did as hey it did me no harm right? But its not safe we need to make sure babies are safe first and foremost!

uh, thrush when breastfeeding is in the nipples/breast, not the genital area :shrug:

u can get thrush on ur boobs and also baby can get thrush in their mouths from breastfeeding. when u have thrush down there its best not to have sex as it makes it 10 times worse

uh, thrush when breastfeeding is in the nipples/breast, not the genital area :shrug:

I thought when you had thrush is just became everywhere :shrug: :dohh:

u can get thrush on ur boobs and also baby can get thrush in their mouths from breastfeeding. when u have thrush down there its best not to have sex as it makes it 10 times worse

ahhh ok, makes sence no one ever told me any of that, as I said above I thought once you had thrush is was everywhere :dohh:

How do you get thrush anyway? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->