Regular, frequent braxton hicks contractions--a cautionary tale

gigglebox

My husband only makes y sperm
Reaction score
i just wanted to write a quick post about this because I think (hope) my diligence in the matter may have helped keep me pregnant a bit longer this week.

Two nights ago on 33+6 days pregnant, I was out running errands and was noticing my braxton hicks were hitting a little harder than usual. When I got home I began to time them and they were about 5-6 minutes apart.

Though they were regular, they didn't hurt. They didn't get stronger. They really didn't feel much worse than usual. I timed them for a couple hours and was all over the internet looking for similar experiences. There were many "better safe than sorry, go get checked" posts, some "this happened to me and it was early labor" posts and "this was me but they went away and i had a full term baby later" posts.

Ladies...ALWAYS listen to your gut! If things don't seem right, get looked at! I was pretty annoyed and a bit scared taking myself to l&d at freaking midnight (I was exhausted, and we have 2 kids so hubby had to stay back with them), but I'm glad I did.

They hooked me up to monitors and I was contracting every 4-5 minutes. I was given meds to stop them, antibiotics in case an infection was the culprit, and a steroid injection in case baby was going to come. They checked my cervix and said i was 2cm externally dilated but internally i was closed tight and not effaced. Good!

The meds worked to slow contractions but I was stuck there for observation. The contractions would pick up then fizzle again. I was checked internally early the next afternoon and was terrified to discover I was now 1cm dilated internally and 50% effaced. Not good!

My dr agreed if there was no more change in a few hours and my contractions stayed away, I could leave. They did pick up again then fade, but when I was checked hours later no cervical change! Yay!

I was released that night after a second steroid shot, being put on modified bed rest, and given a script for the contraction slowing meds.

I'm now 34+2 and definitely not out of the woods but if I hadn't gone in to be checked, I may have gone into full blown labor already. In fact another woman there the same night and also 34 weeks ended up with an emergency c section. I pray she and baby are doing well!

Best of luck with all your pregnancies :hugs:

I had this with my daughter but I was only 20 weeks when it happened. They were 2 minutes apart though by time they started monitoring them and had been bothering me all day. I did not dilate or efface but they still had to give me Terbutalin (spelling?) shots that burned through my whole body it felt like two times to stop them. She ended up coming 4 days late past due date. I am glad you are listening to your body! You know what isn't right! Glad everything turned out okay! CAN'T believe you are getting close to full term feels like we were just talking about TTC not to long ago lol.

Try not to worry too much. At 34 weeks baby will be healthy and well especially with the steroids in you. I'm going in on 2nd January at 36 weeks to have my baby. That's if I hold out that long otherwise I'll be getting steroids and induced early. Wish you all the best and merry Christmas xxx

I am glad you went in to get checked out. Hoping baby will stay put for a while :hugs:

I have hEDS and my hip and pelvis are very unstable. Baby is measuring big and they are concerned I won't get much further. I've asked to wait until Christmas has passed as I have 5 other children. I feel like I'm dilating and I've lost some plug every time I've gone to the toilet. So I reckon things are slowly progressing anyhow. My last two came at 37 and 36 weeks. I go in on 2nd January xx

So pleased you went and got checked out. My daughter was born at 35 weeks (no steroids) and ended up spending 2 weeks in special care because her lungs were not ready. It was awful. I really hope to make it to at least 37 weeks and if before will be having steroids. Wishing you a restful merry Christmas x

Whisper that sounds painful :( glad they've allowed you a bit more time though. I was/am very paranoid about not being at home on Christmas morning with my other kids!

Love, oh dear that must have been very scary :hugs: do they know why you went into early labor last time?

I'm ok over here, contractions start getting closer together usually during the day when I'm coming up in a meds dose. Also in the evenings. They seem calmest in the morning, very far apart.

I forgot to mention I had also lost a small bit of plug but that was the day after the hospital. No more since.

Fx we all get as close to term as possible, and if not, strong healthy babies! No nicu stays please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->