Reins

bungle

Mummy of 2 girls
Reaction score
Hiya ladies,

Looking for a bit of advice from those of you in the know. Baby no 2 is due shortly and my 16 month old has JUST learnt to walk independently. My mum has suggested buying her some reins for Xmas (I know they're probably a bit controversial but I think it's a good idea too) to make my life easier. I was tempted to get one of those little backpacks where the strap comes out of the back but my mum said that the problem with those is that you'd have to take the whole thing off when u got in the car - we live on a very busy road and I have to park my car in an off road car park that isn't directly outside my house so chances are I'll use the reins every time we're going out. Is there any available that could be left on in the car or are there any that you can recommend and think would fit my requirements.

As well intentioned as they are I don't need to hear from anyone who thinks using reins on children is unkind or unnecessary - my child my choice!:thumbup:

IMO they're kinder than letting your child walk in front of a car, which would have happened on more than one occasion without ours! I was in the exact same boat as you - my daughter was 16 months when my son was born and had also just learned to walk. If you are juggling a baby and a toddler who is not that steady on their feet then in my experience reins are a must. They can so easily bolt away from you or break lose from holding your hand when you are trying to get them and baby in and out of the car or buggy. I use ours all the time. We have the ladybird little life ones which are the backpack ones. They are great because you can unclip the actual rein and just have them as a backpack if you want to,and they love being able to carry their own drink or snack. You do have to take them off when you get in and out of the car, but they are very easy to slip on and off. My daughter loves hers and asks to wear them!

I used these with my older girls: https://www.mothercare.com/Traditional-Leather-Winnie-Pooh-Harness/dp/B000NK26P4

And if I can find them, I'll be using them with LO too x

Thank you so much Cattia and fantastic to hear from someone who has already walked the footpath I'm about to step onto! I really do like the little backpack ones and if you say they're not too much of a pain to get on/off then I'll have to see if I can find them somewhere. I just know she's only going to get faster with her walking and I can't afford to risk her running off outside my house. Shes so proud of her new achievement bless her! Xx

I used these with my older girls: https://www.mothercare.com/Traditional-Leather-Winnie-Pooh-Harness/dp/B000NK26P4

Thanks for ur reply hun. Out of interest would you be happy to keep these on your LO while they were in a car seat (for a short journey) or could they be a potential danger?

IMO they're kinder than letting your child walk in front of a car, which would have happened on more than one occasion without ours! I was in the exact same boat as you - my daughter was 16 months when my son was born and had also just learned to walk. If you are juggling a baby and a toddler who is not that steady on their feet then in my experience reins are a must. They can so easily bolt away from you or break lose from holding your hand when you are trying to get them and baby in and out of the car or buggy. I use ours all the time. We have the ladybird little life ones which are the backpack ones. They are great because you can unclip the actual rein and just have them as a backpack if you want to,and they love being able to carry their own drink or snack. You do have to take them off when you get in and out of the car, but they are very easy to slip on and off. My daughter loves hers and asks to wear them!

Just thought, you'd be the perfect person to ask: how did you do the whole getting in the car scenario? Who did you put in first? Xx

We've got a set similar to these for LO. We also live on a really busy road and I thought it would be a lot safer using reigns when walking near the road

We've got a set similar to these for LO. We also live on a really busy road and I thought it would be a lot safer using reigns when walking near the road

And what do you do with the reins once you've reached the car hun?

I lift my daughter into the car seat with her reins on (we have ERF but it would be the same in a FF seat) then I just slip them off her. When we are getting out of the car, I slip them over her shoulders before we get out. The little life ones just slip on and clip at the front, they are super easy, no complicated straps or buckles to struggle with.

Hi my LO has just learnt to walk at 14 months now just gone 15 months and still fairly unsteady at times so found using reins a great help although rather time consuming at times when LO doesn't want to go the right way, hoping that will come as he gets older. My LO isn't one to hold hands and likes to go his own way so the reins are really good. I just got some from Mothercare which were I think 7.99 and you can put the harness on and unclip the actual rein when LO is in the car or buggy.

Thanks for ur reply hun. Out of interest would you be happy to keep these on your LO while they were in a car seat (for a short journey) or could they be a potential danger?

The main bit that you hold onto easily unclips, so it just leaves the harness on and I've never had a problem in cars, although it was a long time ago that I was doing it so can't remember if I took the whole thing off or not. I can't imagine I did with 3 little ones to get in the car!! :D

Thank you ladies you've all been really helpful, good to know I'm not alone in wanting to use them :)

Thank you ladies you've all been really helpful, good to know I'm not alone in wanting to use them :)

I wouldn't have managed without mine..... 2 hands and 3 children (under 2.5) is just not possible!

Good luck, and well done to your LO for her newly found skill! xx

The backpack ones sound great, think I'll have to invest as DS is also just starting to walk on his own and we have a 7 week old!

I wouldn't have managed without mine..... 2 hands and 3 children (under 2.5) is just not possible!

Good luck, and well done to your LO for her newly found skill! xx

Thanks Hun, she's currently at the stage where she's still so proud of herself that she puts herself off-balance through laughing so much! It's very sweet to watch :)

The backpack ones sound great, think I'll have to invest as DS is also just starting to walk on his own and we have a 7 week old!

Hope all is going well Josie. I'm so nervous at the prospect of having 2 LOs, I know it'll be exciting but I think it'll be a steep learning curve too! X

Mine isn't walking properly yet ( so very close) but I've got the little life lady bird back Pack and a set of cheap reins from TK Maxx I think when new baby is here i will walk them both over to the car and pop toddler onto the front seat and shift the door then strap baby in, then pick up toddler and strap them in... This is all good in theory although how it will pan out who knows!! :D

We have the LittleLife little toddler backpacks - they are great!

I generally don't use it so much now (DS is now a lot better at holding my hand and doesn't run off as much), BUT it is great for more challenging enviroments (like by water or traffic etc) for a little "safety back-up".

I would think that it would be an invaluable back-up when you have a new little one to look after too.

Later on, she can use the little backpack as a normal backpack too - win win :)

Hope all is going well Josie. I'm so nervous at the prospect of having 2 LOs, I know it'll be exciting but I think it'll be a steep learning curve too! X

Thanks Bungle, I remember you from third tri! We were also really nervous before Maeve was born but we're coping ok though this week Odhrán has been teething badly and has a cough/cold so has been off nursery, clingy and cranky and it's just not possible to hold him all the time with a tiny baby to take care of, though thankfully he's getting over it now. He's still going to nursery two days to keep him in his routine and to my mum's two days so I'm lucky to have time just with Maeve. When I do have both babies it can be a long day with two of them on my own from 7am until near 6pm. Plus we're moving house in less than two weeks just to add to everything! It's definitely not as scary as you imagine, you'll be just fine! When are you due?

I'm a big fan of reins.
Although I have a little life backpack, I tend to favour the traditional reins. It means I am able to leave the actual harness on when he is in the pushchair (and occasional short journey in the car seat).

I bought them for about £5 or £6 in Asda.

Attachments

• 305222_10150280294826455_646376454_7855150_2017603973_n.jpg
    305222_10150280294826455_646376454_7855150_2017603973_n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 315528_10150281737336455_646376454_7865181_2508965_n.jpg
    315528_10150281737336455_646376454_7865181_2508965_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics