RELACTATING- Gave up BF @3wks, she latched herself on this morning!

Awesome journey, so pleased for you :D I can't believe that was 9 months ago for you and this thread is still going strong, go you!
I'm just starting on my journey and for many reasons I was unable to bf my last son and he had ebm for as long as poss instead so it's quite an emotional thing for me to bf this son - your laid back approach (it seems from the thread anyway) has made me realise how I'm worrying about every little thing and should chill a bit more from now on! LO has turned a corner after losing 9% birthweight and being readmitted to hospital for jaundice - it seems he's putting weight on now and after MW visit on Monday coming hopefully will be discharged :)

This time last year I wasn't breastfeeding......
I'm now feeding a 13month olf BOOBIE MONSTER!!!!

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Wow wow wow.

I stopped early with my first and there were so many times I wanted to put him on the breast but felt I couldn't. Either too muxh pressure to make bf happen again (dh) or to stick with formula (family). Wish I had :(

I felt the same at the start too. I had to lie and say DD was allergic to the formula because everyone coudlnt understand why I would but us both throught all that.... They just didnt get it.

You and your daughter are inspirational!

I felt the same at the start too. I had to lie and say DD was allergic to the formula because everyone coudlnt understand why I would but us both throught all that.... They just didnt get it.

I was really interested to read this story as I also relactated.
I stopped breastfeeding at 7 weeks - even taking sudafed and sage to dry up my milk.
6 whole weeks later, after my milk had been totally dried up and my baby hadn't latched on at all, I decided to relactate. It was a very long and difficult journey for us, first to get my milk back and then to convince the baby to latch on. It was nightmarish to be honest, but I was so desperate to feed. By the time he was 6 months we were feeding normally and exclusively.
I don't have time to read through the journey here although I am so curious how you did it.
I had to pump around the clock and take a very high dose of domperidone.
My baby is now 9 months old and we are still going strong. I appreciate and enjoy every feed.
But I am still on domperidone... I can't come off it or I lose supply.

I was really interested to read this story as I also relactated.
I stopped breastfeeding at 7 weeks - even taking sudafed and sage to dry up my milk.
6 whole weeks later, after my milk had been totally dried up and my baby hadn't latched on at all, I decided to relactate. It was a very long and difficult journey for us, first to get my milk back and then to convince the baby to latch on. It was nightmarish to be honest, but I was so desperate to feed. By the time he was 6 months we were feeding normally and exclusively.
I don't have time to read through the journey here although I am so curious how you did it.
I had to pump around the clock and take a very high dose of domperidone.
My baby is now 9 months old and we are still going strong. I appreciate and enjoy every feed.
But I am still on domperidone... I can't come off it or I lose supply.

I weaned off Domp. I reduced by 1 pill every 5 days. If I just stopped my supply would drop too. But weaning gently means your body relies on supply and demand. Like taking any drugs, it is dangerous to just stop. I googled "weaning from galagogauges" and all this info popped up. Hope that helps!

I'm thinking about relactating. I stopped at 4 weeks bc of rly overactive letdown that baby just couldn't handle and he was miserable with gas and reflux from it..my supply was also taking a very long time to increase to his needs..he is now almost 8 weeks old. He will still latch and feed then fall asleep cuz he gets bored lol. But my milk never totally dried up I can still squeeze some out. So if I do decide to go all in and do it does that mean it'll be easier?

I'm thinking about relactating. I stopped at 4 weeks bc of rly overactive letdown that baby just couldn't handle and he was miserable with gas and reflux from it..my supply was also taking a very long time to increase to his needs..he is now almost 8 weeks old. He will still latch and feed then fall asleep cuz he gets bored lol. But my milk never totally dried up I can still squeeze some out. So if I do decide to go all in and do it does that mean it'll be easier?

You know, it really depends on the person. It should be a good bit easier if you still have milk yes! It would certainly be worth giving it a good shot! I don't see why it wouldnt work. Do you have a pump?

just to update you all, i'm currently feeding DS who is 12 weeks, after our relactaion last time i was adiment he was going to bf

it's been tough he latched and fed fine for two weeks then couldn't cope with my violently fast flow and explosive let done, so i'm now exclusivly expressing using a medela pump in styled advanced that is an amazing pump

he's doing reallr well on my milk

BUT

the best news, Inver is now on mummy's milk

just to update you all, i'm currently feeding DS who is 12 weeks, after our relactaion last time i was adiment he was going to bf

it's been tough he latched and fed fine for two weeks then couldn't cope with my violently fast flow and explosive let done, so i'm now exclusivly expressing using a medela pump in styled advanced that is an amazing pump

he's doing reallr well on my milk

BUT

the best news, Inver is now on mummy's milk

Whooohooo! Well Done Mama! :happydance::flower::hugs:

I just have to say that I love this thread, and I especially love this site! :) When I nursed my first I thought I'd be the natural that my sisters were. I didn't know that I was struggling, so I was unable to ask for help. My milk dried up at nine months, and I never looked back. It took over seven years to have baby #2 and I was determined this time to go as long as humanly possible (I'm hoping years here, not just months). Thanks to a friend turning me on to this site, I have a million times more support than I ever knew I needed. I approached this nursing experience with a little fear still, but have blossomed in confidence. :) By a year old, my LO was still mostly BF, no sippy cups with other juices or milk, only sips of water when we'd go out sometimes. She tried some purees, but in general skipped over all of that! :) "Food is for fun before age one" really worked for us! She eats through the day now, of course, but still nurses a lot through the morning, before and after her mid day nap, and a lot up to bed. She is even nursing off and on through the night again, which I adore. :) Maybe it would seem like too much if I hadn't been so desperate to have her and have this bonding experience with her, but it works for us, and is perfect. We NIP when we have to. I don't make some huge statement about it and pull out the whole breast (no need to), but if she's hungry, I provide. I've never been so happy, fulfilled, and content in my entire life. I'm so grateful that threads like yours exist to help ladies who had to stop for one reason or another but are willing to do the work to try again. I'll be honest, even if my milk ran out I'd still let her comfort suck. I'm that addicted to being her mom. They grow so very fast, don't they?

They do grow FAR too fast! She's 17 months now and her little brother or sister is on the way!

Lovely thread, just read it from start to finish (even though I should be in bed by now!). What an inspiration!

Thanks Mamas! Must take a wee read through it all again myself soon. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"