RELACTATING- Gave up BF @3wks, she latched herself on this morning!

I was wondering about this and am going to give it a try - baby is 8 wks old and I stopped expressing at 3 weeks - he has a tongue tie but now he;s stronger it's worth a try right.

My LO also had tongue tie, but our GP checked it the other day and said it looks like she's growing out of it. That a few wks can make a world of difference. I'd have it re-checked if I were you. For me tongue tie was the perfect excuse to give up at the time. I really needed to recover from the birth and developing ecclampsia. I was drained and on the brink of developing pnd. I stand by my decision to give up when we did for my own mental health. But I'm so glad we've gone back to Breastfeeding.

It's exhausting-i won't lie. But here we are 10days later and were doing GREAT! I say go for it!!

Well done, you're doing so well! Is she taking the 5oz in one feed or is that spread over the whole day? If it is I'd be tempted to try going the whole day without it tomorrow and just let her suck on you instead of her paci. No matter how it feels, your boobs will never be empty. The milk is produced constantly, so even if she keeps sucking after a big feed she'll still get a fair bit of milk over time. Imagine that you're drinking a glass of water through a straw while someone constantly trickles water into it. At first the glass is full, so you have a big drink and empty it. Because water is always trickling into the glass, eventually it will become full again, but it doesn't happen all at once. You could wait an hour and have another full glass of water to drink in one go, or you could spend that hour sipping the water as it trickles in. Either way, you're drinking the same amount of water overall, but you'd probably feel more thirsty if you've had to wait an hour for a drink so even the full glass might not quench your thirst. If you'd sipped at the water you'll never have got thirsty in the first place. So if she grazes all day she'll probably be satisfied enough to skip the formula altogether because she'll never be getting an empty tummy - just be prepared to sit on the sofa all day! The constant suckling will boost your supply too. My LO has a bad cold at the moment so he's just been sucking constantly today and hasn't had any big feeds at all, my boobs feel like empty water balloons but LO is satisfied and definitely not hungry x

Well done you, and it's fantastic to see others wanting to try again after seeing your journey. You've done fantastic almost getting to ebf after 10 days, keep up the great work. Xx

You are doing amazing! And I have to say, your daughter is a total champ!

Well done, you're doing so well! Is she taking the 5oz in one feed or is that spread over the whole day? If it is I'd be tempted to try going the whole day without it tomorrow and just let her suck on you instead of her paci. No matter how it feels, your boobs will never be empty. The milk is produced constantly, so even if she keeps sucking after a big feed she'll still get a fair bit of milk over time. Imagine that you're drinking a glass of water through a straw while someone constantly trickles water into it. At first the glass is full, so you have a big drink and empty it. Because water is always trickling into the glass, eventually it will become full again, but it doesn't happen all at once. You could wait an hour and have another full glass of water to drink in one go, or you could spend that hour sipping the water as it trickles in. Either way, you're drinking the same amount of water overall, but you'd probably feel more thirsty if you've had to wait an hour for a drink so even the full glass might not quench your thirst. If you'd sipped at the water you'll never have got thirsty in the first place. So if she grazes all day she'll probably be satisfied enough to skip the formula altogether because she'll never be getting an empty tummy - just be prepared to sit on the sofa all day! The constant suckling will boost your supply too. My LO has a bad cold at the moment so he's just been sucking constantly today and hasn't had any big feeds at all, my boobs feel like empty water balloons but LO is satisfied and definitely not hungry x

Thank you for that info, I honestly thought when they were empty the we're just empty!!

We did need to be out and about yesterday, and I haven't plucked up the courage to NIP just yet... I am getting there!! But there's a nursing room in the local shopping centre and we were there for 90 mins, the
Place was about to close and we still had no groceries. So I gave her the paci and ran around like super woman and as soon as we got home she was back stuck on boob!! We have nowhere to go for the next few days so she can feed all day long if she likes...

Hubby is feeling a little left out as she seems to just want to suckle all the time. He understands and is all for BF but he was enjoying being able to FF her. Hopefully when I'm back to a decent supply I'll b able to pump& let him take her for a feed in the evenings to give him some
Baby-time and I can get some me time!

I'm still amazed at how well she is doing!!!

This thread is an inspiration to me! My baby had TT also and had a frenulotomy at 7 weeks but still couldn't get a good latch for a further 5 weeks. I have kept my supply semi going with pumping but have found it all desperately hard and suffering with depression. My LO is great at bf now - BUT the kicker is he has developed silent reflux in the last few weeks and it is really getting quite bad in the daytime so I'm finding that I can't switch to full-time nursing yet as he won't take full feeds and still isn't able to fully stimulate my supply. So I'm still at the pump grrrr.

Still, this thread inspires me to keep things going in spite of my hatred of pumping! You go girl!

This thread is an inspiration to me! My baby had TT also and had a frenulotomy at 7 weeks but still couldn't get a good latch for a further 5 weeks. I have kept my supply semi going with pumping but have found it all desperately hard and suffering with depression. My LO is great at bf now - BUT the kicker is he has developed silent reflux in the last few weeks and it is really getting quite bad in the daytime so I'm finding that I can't switch to full-time nursing yet as he won't take full feeds and still isn't able to fully stimulate my supply. So I'm still at the pump grrrr.

Still, this thread inspires me to keep things going in spite of my hatred of pumping! You go girl!

Would you consider baby wearing for the day time? That way he can slEep but in an upright position? It would be worth a try?

Would you consider baby wearing for the day time? That way he can slEep but in an upright position? It would be worth a try?

I have been doing this :) We tend to have problems during feeds though more than anything.

Day 3 and no poops.
She hasn't has a wet nappie yet today either...

She isn't crying though just very sleepy... Maybe she's starving and has no energy to cry? She only had 3oz today of formula. Thinking of just giving her a bottle to keep her hydrated?! I'm scared now!

With breast feeding babies can go days without pooing, then they explode everywhere lol. Have you got a baby clinic available to you this week? Or even today, as in our book were able to attend 4 different clinics in the area meaning 4 days are covered. Just to get her weighed so you know where she's at, or if you have kitchen scales maybe try devise your own, my friend did that by putting a clean roasting tin on her scales with a towel in it.

Wee wise Freya seems to be quite dry on an afternoon, and hardly does anything over night but saves it all for the morning! If your worried though get her checked over to put your mind at rest. Although im sure if shes hungry she'll defo let you know about it. Hugs. XxXxxxx

Ok so, I opened her nappy and it was moist, not wet. It was also dark yellow/orange, she's dehydrated right?! I've given her a formula feed and I'll pump this session. She'll get 3oz of formula and hopefulkybthat'll help rehydrate her and I'll just drink a LOT more water....

I feel so guilty.

I've breast fed both mine so I don't know what formula poo is like but that's sounding in consistence of a bm poo, I've just done Freya's and it's a orangey dark sandy colour. Seen as she's taking on more bm that formula I'd of thought her poo will be more like a breast milk one these days.

But yeh yellow/orange totally normal. Xxxx

Oh wait you ment wee not poo lol, ignore me!! Yeh just keep drinking plenty and offer her formula or even water between to boost it up. Also look at her soft spot as it will sink in if dehydrated. Don't feel guilty though, your doing a fab job. Xxx

This is truly amazing! I really want to cry. I was in your position. I had to stop bf @ 3wks and started combo feeding and still am. I still have milk but obviously, it has slowed down a lot. When I try to hand express, only a small trickle comes out - but at least that's still some. Having read your thread gives me sooooo much hope. Like many women, I want to bf my baby. I hope I can by doing what you're doing.

This is truly amazing! I really want to cry. I was in your position. I had to stop bf @ 3wks and started combo feeding and still am. I still have milk but obviously, it has slowed down a lot. When I try to hand express, only a small trickle comes out - but at least that's still some. Having read your thread gives me sooooo much hope. Like many women, I want to bf my baby. I hope I can by doing what you're doing.

Aw Yeay!!! Please keep me updated on how your getting on! :)

Ok so this is going to take longer than i thought. Yes LO was mildly dehydrated. She wasn't bad enough for them to keep her in, but the midwife said that I tried too much to soon. :/ well she suggested I keep LO on 10oz per day. Given at an ounce or 2 at a time after BF. she said to do this for 2days, reduce by an ounce and again for 2 days, and so on... It will allow my body to catch up but still ensure she's not hungry. :)

Yes slowly reducing over time is the way to go. When I first breastfed and had supply issues and lo was losing weight she told me when I did decrease to go down half an ounce each week but I was topping up 2 ounces after each feed and had no supply as I was so sick. I used to then weigh her at the end of each week to make sure she wasn't losing weight again. Sounds like a perfect plan to me hope it works well!

You're doing really well, just keep up the good work and you'll be EBF in no time xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->