Reusable nappies: Be honest now....

redpoppy

Reaction score
When you pack them up in the bucket, is it too smelly to keep in the bedroom?

I will be buying my reusables soon and was just wondering if a high quality bucket might be needed as I want to keep one in the bedroom for nighttime changes....

I'm sure I can come downstairs to the loo but it will be a pain. Rather be a pain than have a smelly bedroom though!

Thank in advance for your replies ladies!!!!

:hugs:

Not at all, I can't even smell Imis bucket (which is in her nursery) when i bend down next to it to get her washing from the basket!! It def needs to have a lid tho :D I also put a few drops of lavendar oil in occasionally but this is only for when the lid is taken off to add more nappies or empty for washing :D

i dont think its too bad, so long as u keep them in the bucket and not on the floor like my OH likes to do :dohh:

Yeah, I reckon it would be fine! You can't smell mine at all! In fact, it smells MUCH nicer than one of them horrible disposable nappy wrapper things :sick: I put a few drops of tea tree or lavender oil on a muslin and put that on top of the last nappy, but under the lid if that makes sense! People actually comment about how nice the bathroom smells! :flower:

I made some diaper pail pucks out of baking soda and lavander oil. Just water it down to a thick paste and stick it in muffin tins to dry for a few days. No smell issues in his room whatsoever!

I keep mine (Adam's) in the bathroom as it's right next to our bedroom, but it doesn't smell at all. the only time I catch a whiff of it is when putting the nappies in the washing machine, when I get down to the ones that have been in a few days. just make sure you have a well-fitting lid. I do put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the bucket after I wash it out, and also have a panty liner with a few drops of tt oil stuck in the inside of the lid. I'd have no problem keeping the bucket in the bedroom if I had to.

We keep Halens in the kitchen next to the washing machine and it doesn't smell and mine doesn't even have a lid as it's just a normal bucket from wilko's

We keep ours in DD's room, next to the changing table and it doesn't smell at all. I only get a whiff when I open it. I ask DH when he comes home if he thinks the room smells & he can't smell anything either. I'm just worried I'm too used to the smell!

The nappy bucket we use is just a normal/standard one with a fitted lid. Nothing special.

i keep ours in Daisys room and i never smell it unless its totally full and i take the lid off !!!! my mum always comments if she smells something and she has never said anything!! i just use tea tree oil but i am gonna have a bash at making some little puk thingies to pop in it :)

So um: where do you put the tea tree/lavendar oil?

And also, Why doesn't it smell? As in, considering the lids are not sealed shut, is there a scientific reason that disposables stink to high heaven and reusables don't?

Thanks in advance aain for your replies!
:thumbup:

Mine smells fine, spesh if its just for night time you're going to empty it everyday into the one downstairs...i cant smell mine. But you could try putting lavander drops or something into it.

I kept mine in Tabs room until i stopped changing her in there...

We keep our bucket in the bathroom as we still wash our hands after a nappy change even at night, so have to go to the bathroom anyway. I put a couple of drops of lavender oil in the bottom of the bucket after washing it out each day.

Cloth nappies don't smell too bad because they aren't pumped full of chemicals, that the wee and poo react to, like disposables are. But poo is poo, so there is still a whiff when you take the lid off, but it doesn't fill the room lol, you just smell it if you lean too close! The lavender oil pretty much eliminates all smells though.

Yep, its all the nasty chemicals that make sposies so stinky! Imis nappies NEVER smell if she just wees :D

I have a mesh sack in my bucket so i just add my oil onto that (only a couple of drops needed every now and again) :)

So um: where do you put the tea tree/lavendar oil?

I stick a pantyliner on the inside of the bucket lid and put a few drops of tea tree oil on it. then when I clean the bucket, I swill it out with boiling water and another few drops.

The only time I ever smell anything is right when I empty the bucket. So once every 3 days for about 3 seconds. :rofl:

I don't put mine in a bucket. I spray mine with diaper spray and then toss them in the washer, and then when I have a nice load (usually in about a day or 2) I wash them. My laundry room doesn't smell and neither does my washer.

No smell, unless I open the lid after diapers have been in there a couple of days - but we have an HE washer that only uses 2 cups of water a load, so I tend to wash them almost every day ;)

A

I don't put mine in a bucket. I spray mine with diaper spray and then toss them in the washer, and then when I have a nice load (usually in about a day or 2) I wash them. My laundry room doesn't smell and neither does my washer.

How do you do your other laundry?!

What is diaper spray? Never heard of spraying them with something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->