Reusable nappies. Need help urgent :)

Wombat

Married mum of 2:)
Reaction score
Hi girls.

We have been using disposable nappies with my first, but I sort of started to think maybe it will be a good idea to go with reusable this time.

I found this nappy pack online. Do you think this is going to be enough and is this a good offer.

I quite like the idea of nappies which "grow" with your child (wouldn't want ones which you would have to buy a new nappy set every 3-5 months)

https://www.soorganic.com/motherease-one-size-reusable-nappy-full-time-kit-c-193-p-1-pr-1652.html

What do you think?
Thanks

Hello and welcome!!! Rather than committing to any particular type of nappy straight away, it might be best for you to try a few different types (fitted/pocket/prefold) first, to see what you like/what types your LO fits into best. I have heard some good things about the motherease nappies, but never tried them myself.

Hope that helps! xxx

Thanks for reply hun:hugs:

Well, then I have other questions, lol.

First of all I want a no-fuss nappy. What I mean the one which is easy to put on/take off. (Not the old style ones where you had to use pins...)

Second - absorbecy. Should be as much leak proof as possible.

Third - I would need a pack which would grow with the baby. Basically hte same nappy should fit all the way to potty traininig...

Also, how many nappies would I need? And basically what else do I need apart from nappies?

What would experienced cloth mummies reccomend?

Hi. Have a look at the ask a mum thread at the top of the page. :)

I would say 20 one size nappies (from your link) is quite a lot, and you may not need that many. Although it depends on how often you want to do a nappy wash. I have about 12/14 nappies for day time use and wash every other day.

If you want no fuss nappies, try an All In One style. Those motherease are fitted, so need a wrap. Very easy to use, but not as no fuss as you can get.

Bear in mind you may need a different kind of nappy for night time. Absorbancy is the major night time issue, and you may find you need a very bulky nappy, which may not be suitable for day time use because of fitting uder clothes etc.

It depends what kind of nappies you choose as to what else you need. I have AIOs and apart from them I just use fleece liners. If you use pocket nappies you need inserts and if you use fitteds you need wraps.

Also a nappy bucket and reusable wipes if you choose to use them.

Leak proof-ness is down to the fit of the nappy on your baby. What is leak proof on one baby may not be on another.

I wouldn't like to recommend anything too strongly, as it depends on you and your baby, but some good reliable brands are Bum Genius, Fuzzi Bunz, Little Lamb, Blueberry, Pop In, there are sooo many, hundreds!

:)

Thanks for reply hun:hugs:

Well, then I have other questions, lol.

First of all I want a no-fuss nappy. What I mean the one which is easy to put on/take off. (Not the old style ones where you had to use pins...)

Second - absorbecy. Should be as much leak proof as possible.

Third - I would need a pack which would grow with the baby. Basically hte same nappy should fit all the way to potty traininig...

Also, how many nappies would I need? And basically what else do I need apart from nappies?

What would experienced cloth mummies reccomend?

To be honest hun, most of the nappies are no fuss these days...but the prefolds (like terrys, bambino mio etc) are probably the most tricky. and tend to be sized so probably not best for you.

Fitted nappies (like the motherease ones you posted, tots bots etc) are simple because they go on like a disposable, but need a waterproof wrap. The motherease is a birth to potty (BTP) and has that advantage, but the wraps would have to be sized to avoid leaks.

All in ones (AIO's) are just that....all in one. The nappy consists of everything you need all attached together (there are a few brands...Bumgenius (BG) do one, and theres the tots bots easy fit, theres is also a pop-in where you snap together all the parts before you use it). These tend to take a while to dry, but they are usually BTP.

Pockets are my personal fave, and I find them super easy. you get a nappy 'shell' with a pocket in it, and 'stuff' the pocket with an insert. Once these are stuffed (which takes seconds) they are as easy as a disposable. There are tonnes of different brands (Bumgenius, Blueberry, fuzzi buns are just a few). They are also more often than not BTP too, so would grow with your baby.

I would recommend you got through the first few weeks of icky, regular poos with disposables, but then after that you could manage with about 15ish nappies if you washed every 2 days.

You would also need a nappy pail (bin), a mesh bag to line it with so you don't have to touch the wet/dirty nappies when putting them in the wash. You will probably need a wet bag if you are going out and changiing cloth (you don't want wet/dirty nappies getting on your changing bag!

Other optional extras are liners...either fleece reusable ones or paper flushable ones to protect your nappies from poos.

Hope this maks sense!!

If you wanted to try them, I would recommend this pack for starting with all in ones (the easiert nappies). Like Kirsten said, you need a night time nappy too and the pop in(included in this pack) does a fab job for us! https://www.fill-your-pants.com/product/208/11/all-in-one-nappy-starter-pack

Thanks girls!! You both are stars:hugs:

I have a clearer idea of what I would need now :) I wanted to clear it up before baby comes (anyday now :) )

Thank you so much:hugs::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower:

Everyone here has some great advice!

We started with a nappy service, and the nappies that they gave us were like Motherease - two piecers. I found that they held a lot, but it became a pain to get wraps that fit perfectly. Now we've moved on to pocket diapers. it really is all about the fit with your LO, so I recommend going to a consignment store and getting a couple of the ones they are selling, or even some of the online stores have "sample rental packs" so that you can find what you like. It's a huge investment! I ended up going onto ebay and getting a couple of cheaper pocket diapers (called Kawaii diapers) to see if I liked them, then got some more bumgenius (very similar). One thing that I look for now is a microfleece inner - it wicks away the moisture and keeps my LO's bum relatively dry - even in the heat wave we had this summer, she had no diaper rash. I also like microfibre liners for their absorbency - they hold a lot, and you can double up on the liners for night time (though we use disposables for night, and g-diapers when we go out) Some people who are doing Elimination Communication prefer diapers that feel wet to the baby - Oh, there are so many to choose from!!!

Good luck, and happy shopping (I warn you, it's addictive!)

Oh! And a good laundry soap that contains no oils (which could coat the diaper fabric and make it less absorbent)

:)
A

Oh, and also Wombat, which area in the UK are you? Some councils offer an incentive to start trying cloth nappies such as a voucher, free trial pack or trial of a nappy laundering service. xxx

If you wanted to try them, I would recommend this pack for starting with all in ones (the easiert nappies). Like Kirsten said, you need a night time nappy too and the pop in(included in this pack) does a fab job for us! https://www.fill-your-pants.com/product/208/11/all-in-one-nappy-starter-pack

That pack looks really good! The BG AIO Organics are my all time fave, closely followed by the Pop In. :thumbup:

I'm currently using the motherease btp and can't fault them (BUT I haven't had experience of any others!!)

I have found that they hold loads of really squishy poo without leaking and are good on absorbancy. The only thing that I find is they are quite bulky on a newborn - but this kind of helps with the absorbancy! He does look like his bottom is massive, even though it's tiny!!

I have 24 nappies, and I change at every feed (sometimes more when he poos just after changing!!) but this means that I wash every 1 1/2 days at the moment.

My Motherease came with inserts, and at the moment I haven't used them, although as he is sleeping longer he is getting wetter at night, and I am tempted to start using the insert to avoid changing at his middle of the night feed. I also use disposible liners at the moment whilst his poo is so squishy, but plan on using fleece ones later once his poos are more regular!

Thanks girls:hugs::hugs::hugs:

I live in Northamptonshire :)

https://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/councilservices/environ/waste/pages/nappycashback.aspx

If you pay your council tax to northamptomshire council, you are entitled to £25 back free when you spend £60 or more on real nappies! You just need to send them reciepts or invoices from the internet suppliers!! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->