Rice Cakes Question.....!

Saxogirl

Mum to 2 beautiful boys!
Reaction score
Hi have just started weaning Alex who's 5 months in a few days, and was hoping some of you could help me with a few questions!

Firtsly I was wondering if anyone know's why rice cakes are from 6 months? Is it because of choking?

and my other Q is how many spoonfuls etc of baby rice did you give and how quickly did you build up that amount?
Alex has just had his first taste and absolutely loved it - wanted more and more but I only let him have 2-3 spoonfuls as it was his first time I didn't want to risk his tummy being upset, but if he's ok then how much could I let him have tomorrow?
(obviously gave half a normal milk feed before and half after the baby rice!)

Thanks for your help!
:thumbup:

Yeah, I think rice cakes are from 6 months (ones sold for babies tend to be marked 7m+) plus due to a risk of choking, plus babies younger are unlikely to be able to chew them anyway.

I don't know about quantities of baby rice cos I've never given it, but I think at 5 months you are supposed to give it after a full milk feed so that they fill up on the milk most, then have rice in addition to it if they are still hungry.

Maybe the girls in the Early weaning support thread may be able to help you with the quantity of baby rice to give? :)

I made up how much it said on the box and gave it after a feed, greedy baby took most of it!

thanks for your help - will give him a full feed tomorrow followed by more rice and see how it goes!!

I would just let him lead you really with the food, slowly increase the amount every couple days or so. Bearing in mind that its totally new to his belly.

I wouldnt give him rice cakes until he has learnt to chew so thats a fair few months yet. If you want to encourage finger food i would recommend something that goes mushy for example i buy the organix carrot puff snacks. They are brilliant, look like huge wotsits and taste like carrot, my baby loves them and they dissolve so not really a choking issue there.

Also, toast, dry of course :) and rusks are brilliant finger foods. x

thanks guys!

Gave him a full feed today followed by baby rice 15-20 mins later (made the amount as packet described) and let him have as much as he wanted - greedy boy took most of it!

Will give it a bit longer and then give the finger foods a go! - thanks Nikki and Kayleigh for your suggestions :D

hi. my little one has been sucking on rice cakes from about 5 months... he had his bottom teeth coming through and it seemed to help him through it. he goes through alot of rice cakes.
my little one never took to baby rice so he went quickly onto baby brekfasts. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->