Right! Sippy cup advice much appreciated!!

Boo44

Mummy of 2 boys
Reaction score
We have been through a few different 'cups' for his water alongside his solids before I realised he's supposed to have a free flowing one. So we've settled on this one:

https://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/rshipley20/DEE906C1-0076-4463-82C4-814AA849A1BA-3028-0000029AFE1CAD8B_zps1b9f4770.jpg

...and now I don't want to change again as he'll get confused. He used to drink from this fairly well, like one suck at a time but he did swallow his water and always thought it was a fun game!

Well he's randomly now decided to completely refuse to let me put it near his mouth! :dohh: If I let him pick it up he will and he knows to put it in his mouth and he laughs and chuckles. But he doesn't know how to tip it, so doesn't actually get any. Basically it is now at the point where he is having no water at all with his lunch or during the day

Should I just stick with it and wait for him to get it. Should I put juice in it? An I right in thinking that I shouldn't just fill one of his bottles with water? He'd definitely drink it that way, but I know sucking all his fluids won't help him learn...

Why did nobody tell me that being a mum involves in depth conversations regarding blummin' cups?!?! :haha:

My LO used to drink from her sippy cups fine then reused them around 7 months. Obviously she had to drink and they say not to feed water from a bottle just so they dont get too used to it and its another habit to break. We bought a cup with a straw in it from boots and she manages with that just fine. She sometimes drinks a full cup (8oz) but other days maybe only has 3/4oz in total. She manages great with the straw, so if you cant find a sippy cup he likes maybe give the straw a go x

I have a tommie tippie one that is anti spill but as a result LO cant get water from it ?!?

I was thinking of getting a normal one but then im worried LO will get drenched everytime he gets a drink???

Might try a straw... do they know to suck???

xxx

Yeah those tommee tippee anti spill ones are useless. They look pretty but the baby has to work out a way of sucking the water out which is too much like hard work so if they're anything like my baby they don't bother! And they dont teach them how to sip either! In all honesty his free flow one isn't messy at all. Even when I leave him to play with it (just in case he drinks some!) there isn't much mess

Stacey I hadnt thought of a straw. Maybe I'll have to try that. Because he's getting no water at all each day as it is...

My LO didn't like drinking from sippy cups too much, until we got one with a straw. So far it's the only thing he will drink water from, even though its still a small amount.

Yeah she learned how to suck from a straw straight away. First tried it about 5 weeks ago and she drank right away with me holding the cup, now she picks up the cup and manages to drink herself. Its certainly helped her poos, they were getting too hard because of the lack of fluids xx

Can I ask your advice ladies? (sorry for hijacking)
I bought the avent trainer cup

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u421/sjmidd/3F7CE244-53A6-46A9-9CF3-0FB76EDAF7D1-12824-00000C9E3C7A66CC_zps6cb80b90.jpg

But can't work it out! How stupid?! There's a plastic disk under the teat. Do you remove it to get water out? If they included instructions it would be useful

I would think the plastic disk is a sealing disk to stop it leaking in the change bag or whatever. I'd remove it.

Thanks. When I remove it the water pours out at some rate. Maybe that's right? I haven't a clue :-/

I've go the avent cup for my LO too. The plastic disk is the non-spill valve, but it means they have to suck pretty hard to actually get any water from it. I've removed the valve as I wanted to make it free-flow but it obviously then leaks into the lid when tipped up. I rarely take that one out with me (I take the tommee tippee free-flow out) but just put the valve back in to transport it if I need to.

Thanks. When I remove it the water pours out at some rate. Maybe that's right? I haven't a clue :-/

if its the same as the tommee tippee one which i think it is then if u take the seal bit out its just a free flow sippy cup, put it in and u have to suck on the teat bit to get water out. Tbh i bought one and ended up replacing the sippy teat with a bottle teat. She still likes the handles tho. I thought that water was ok to suck on, just not sugary liquids like juice? My lo doesnt have a dummy so its not like shes sucking all day long. I tried just removing the sealy bit for a free flow cup but she got soaked very fast!

I watched a video of a lady on youtube who tried about 15 different cups after her baby accepted a sippy cup when he was young then they tried to reintroduce about 5 months later and he point blank refused.

I believe she found success with the transition cup which looks like a sippy cup and it has the nipple thats shaped like a sippy cup but the it was squishy like a bottle nipple. Here it is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinkbaby-Spill-Sippy-Orange-Natural/dp/B003LPUPVU

My LO didn't get on will with spy cups, it's either too much hard work, or flows out too fast and chokes him! We got Doidy cup and he took to it right away! So we've had a few major spills, but...he manages it much better! The only other thing he can drink from is the fruit shoot bottles, so i drink them then stick water in them for him! :p

We've having a horrible time with sippy cups. We've bought all different kinds and none seem to work. I think I'll have to get some with the straw to see if he'll take that.

A small update - he was flat out refusing the blue tommee tippee free flow so yesterday I searched in my cupboard for this one (which he can't suck any water out of!)

https://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/rshipley20/73F32B08-BBA4-4445-8BEB-A9310247D21E-1036-0000011716A9E8C3_zpsa263789a.jpg

And removed the no spill disc thing from inside. So now it's a free flow one. And he is drinking well out of it! Tbh I think it's because it looks like something new to him lol. But I plan to switch between the two now to keep him interested x

Can I ask your advice ladies? (sorry for hijacking)
I bought the avent trainer cup

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u421/sjmidd/3F7CE244-53A6-46A9-9CF3-0FB76EDAF7D1-12824-00000C9E3C7A66CC_zps6cb80b90.jpg

But can't work it out! How stupid?! There's a plastic disk under the teat. Do you remove it to get water out? If they included instructions it would be useful

Do you mean a rubber one? If you do you need to keep it in. It's to slow the flow down while they are learning. This was great for our lo. I was told by my mil that he was too young for a beaker, but he got the hang of it around 5.5mths. We have now moved onto a Nuby sippy cup. We did Tommie Tippie Tip It Up Cup inbetween but my son figured out how to pour it down himself my sucking and pulling it out of his mouth at the same time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->