risks of having a breech baby and going into labor?

kayla93

Reaction score
I have heard there are risks, but I'm not quite sure what they are. could you ladies help? I had an ultrasound yesterday and at 35 weeks, my daughter is still breech. The ultrasound tech doesnt think she will turn on her own because she doesnt have a lot of fluid to move around in. I have been having a lot of problems with contractions and I am currently on bedrest until Friday so I dont go into labor. I was just wondering what the risks are of going into labor with a breech baby.
Thanks ladies!

I don't think there's really any risk unless you actually start to deliver. In that case the body can come through, but the head can get stuck and cause suffocation during birth. If you head in at any signs of labor they should be able to do a c-section right away to alleviate the risk.

Depending on the breech position more then likely a breech delivery would be absolutely fine.

If I had a breech babe I'd go for a vaginal delivery anyway but that's just personal preference. If you went into full labour and didn't want to do a breech vaginal delivery you would have a emergency c section.

I think there is also the risk of a prolapsed cord as well. But like the PP said I believe this is only a risk once delivery starts.

My first son was breach, as is this one, and I was told that if you go into labour before your booked c-section at roughly 39 weeks (presuming they cant attempt or you refuse a ECV, which I couldn't have last time or this) then you go straight to the L&D ward and they will do an emergency c-section.

I had heard that it all depends on the breech position. Some positions are OK for you to have a vaginal birth, whilst others are not.

In my case my baby is transverse, so is lying horizontally across me... has been since 13 wks, so in my case if he doesn't move it has to be a c section for me as it is impossible to give birth vaginally with him in that position.

I would check with your Midwife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->