• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rolling onto tummy at night!

ChocolateC

Reaction score
Hello,
My 7-month-old has been rolling onto his tummy at night and does NOT like it! It's been happening for a month and I keep thinking it'll stop, or he'll get used to it, or start sleeping comfortably on his tummy. But he hasn't. It wakes him up, then he wakes ME up. I can't just turn him and go away: he wants the full soothing treatment of pick up, nurse, settle down. It gets tiring. I'm not quite ready for a full cry-it-out session because I feel so sorry for him being trapped in a weird position, but I don't know what to do to prevent this.

I know babies often start tummy-sleeping at a certain stage but since it wakes him up and he's unhappy, I guess it's too early. I think my DD started it around 9-10 months. DS is 7 months.

What should I do? Have you guys seen this before?

Thanks! :flower:

Look into cot wedges (or can use a pillow tightly under a sheet) They are normally used to help babies stay on their side and stop them rolling but would work to stop your lo going on to his tummy. Will mean if he rolls he will only get to his side rather than right over and will probably roll back on to his back x

Our ds did this from the moment he could roll. It was hard work. Went on for about 6weeks i think and then he started tummy sleeping (was about 6months i think) and he has been a tummy sleeper ever since and hes 3 in two weeks. Sorry i have no real advice as I just carried on putting him back untill he just stopped. I think it was once he learnt to roll back again that helped as it was a choice not a "whoops stuck again" feeling.

Hope ur lo settles soon :hugs:

We had the opposite problem, she liked to sleep on her tummy so she would roll onto her tummy at night, but then in her sleep she would roll onto her back and wake up crying. It was so irritating because she COULD just roll herself back onto her tummy but she was unable to figure this out in the night. It took a few weeks but she finally figured it out.

I wonder if something about waking up at night makes them less capable of doing things they could easily do during the day. He can roll like crazy during the day, in every direction, and even lift up in various funny ways, but night seems to be different.

My lo started doing this about two weeks ago. Ugh. Just when I thought sleep was going good. I still swaddle her so she gets over then has a hard time getting back over because her legs are swaddled. For me I guess it's time to unswaddle.

Maybe like the other ladies said, a wedge. And overtime he'll figure out how to roll back in his sleep.

DD2 has just started doing this too and she hates it and can't turn back. Ive rolled up cellular blankets and put them under the sheet at each side of her so she can't roll right over, I remembered this from doing it with DD1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->