rubella immunity test

spicyorange

Reaction score
Websites like nhs and ready steady baby say that before you should get pregnant you should check your rubella immunity. At the gp today and asked about this and he treated me like an idiot saying "they test you when your pregnant" I pointed out this is too late because your can't have rubella vaccine when pregnant because it's a live vaccine and he said the only way to know was for the nurse to go through my records and check if I was vaccinated. Nhs says that even if you were vaccinated you might not be immune so should still get checked. But the gp wasn't interested. Should I push harder for it or just leave it. I probably had my mmr (my mom can't remember) so I'm probably fine but I thought I was being responsible by asking for a test and got treated like an idiot.anyone else had a rubella immunity test?

I had no idea about any of this before I got pregnant. I was tested as a part of my first set of bloods which is when I learnt that despite being fully vaccinated I am not immune to rubella!

So yep, even if you had the shots as a child I would get it checked because finding out when you're already pregnant is a bit on the scary side!

I had no idea about any of this before I got pregnant. I was tested as a part of my first set of bloods which is when I learnt that despite being fully vaccinated I am not immune to rubella!

Exactly this!

Ummm okay no you can get checked for immunity for MMR at any time in your life you can even retake them if your not sure. How do I know this? Because I just went through living hell trying to get my vaccine records from the state (eventually had to go through the school as the state of New York didn't start keeping up with then till 2005) I was told by the college and the lady helping me find my records that a clinic can do a simple blood test to determine immunity or I could take the vaccines again. So yes they don't just do that test when you are pregnant. I would go to a clinic and see if they could have it done

They aren't interested at all I asked the nurse and gp before I got pregnant they dismissed it and the fact i hhadn't had chicken pox either.
Then when I was pregnant the midwife said I shouldve had the chicken pox vaccine but they won't give it on the nhs so I had to pay privately after ds was born.
Xx

Maybe try your practice nurse, see if she'll do the blood test. Or, I don't know when you're TTC, but you could just ask for the MMR vaccine again, though I'm not sure of they're still doing loads of MMR jabs or not.

mine has run out, this post just reminded me to go and get mine before we start to try i might book this in now thank you.

so yes your immunity can run out and you need to get it again, here in nz they test you just when they test your blood i assume if you ask for it not sure why they decided to test mine,and they say it is very important to make sure you have it if you are around children a lot

I would go to another doctor (walk in clinic maybe?) and ask to be tested. When I went to my doctor to tell him I was soon going to be TTC, he said perfect and had my blood levels checked for rubella immunity for the exact reason that you can't receive the vaccine while pregnant, and you are supposed to wait a recommended 3 months after vaccinating before becoming pregnant. Very frustrating that your doctor is being so adamant and not wanting to follow guidelines.

I was immune to rubella (I assume, as I never got the phone call back). I wasn't immune to Hep B after my vaccinations, so I had to get 2 more booster shots.

I was vaccinated as a child, and had a booster at 14 years old, and I'm still not immune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->