Rubella Status

BabyN2010

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

Well as part of our baby prep I had a blood test done to check up on my Rubella status (immunity) and today had the jab. I would advise any ladies who are trying to conceive to do the same. Although Rubella (German Measles) is not very common it can have serious effects on an unborn baby especially in the first 3 months. (if you are newly preggers and you were not aware of this - please keep away from children who have rashes and be very cautious when necessary - Your midwife should advise you) Also even though some of you may have been vaccinated as a child or at school - the vaccine can work its way out of your system leaving you without immunity. Its worth checking it out!

But the only down side is you have to wait 4 weeks (was 3 months) after the shot and then you can only start trying again as the vaccine is a live virus! ( just make sure you are not pregnant when you ask for the vaccine!!!!)

:flower:

I've had my rubella checked a while ago and I'm ok (1:512:happydance:) but I've had quite a struggle with it. I made an appointment with my gp, specifically for the rubella blood test plus a smear test which was due. After the smear the nurse was ready to send me home. I reminded her that I was also there for the rubella blood test. She asked why I wanted that done. I said to make sure I'm immune in case of a pregnancy. :blush: And she said to come back when I'm pregnant!!! :wacko: As BabyN2010 pointed out that is TERRIBLE advice, as it's too late to get a jab when you're pregnant because it's a live vaccine. After some gentle persistence on my part she took a blood sample and I got the test done but I've seriously lost faith in their advice. :nope:

Anyway, just wanted to stress that BabyN2010 is right, this is important and if someone tells you otherwise, don't be put off!

i knew that getting rubella when pregnant could be dangerous but i didn't know you could be tested for immunity beforehand. thanks!:thumbup:

i'll ask my doctor about it when i go for my pre pregnancy checkup this month. i'm pretty certain i had rubella as a child (too old for mmr:blush:) actually i think i had every illness going that you can get vaccines for!

do you know if they routinely test for it when they do pregnany blood tests in the uk? cause they might have it on my notes from when i had my first baby if thats the case. i'm guessing they probably don't though cause it was never mentioned to me before.

I don't know if they routinely test it (I'd assume so though) but you should get it checked again anyway, as immunity can decrease over time.

I Just had my MMR booster a couple weeks back, so I'm going to assume I'll be safe... :S

You would get tested to see if you are immune when you get standard pregnancy blood tests done (in the UK) my friend found out she wasnt immune and midwife it made aware and you are advise to get any rashes checked out staight away.

Obviously much better to get your immunity checked before hand!

I got mine checked in December when I went to my GP six months prior to TTC. I had to ask though - doctor would never have mentioned it :growlmad:

I've had my rubella checked a while ago and I'm ok (1:512:happydance:) but I've had quite a struggle with it. I made an appointment with my gp, specifically for the rubella blood test plus a smear test which was due. After the smear the nurse was ready to send me home. I reminded her that I was also there for the rubella blood test. She asked why I wanted that done. I said to make sure I'm immune in case of a pregnancy. :blush: And she said to come back when I'm pregnant!!! :wacko: As BabyN2010 pointed out that is TERRIBLE advice, as it's too late to get a jab when you're pregnant because it's a live vaccine. After some gentle persistence on my part she took a blood sample and I got the test done but I've seriously lost faith in their advice. :nope:

Anyway, just wanted to stress that BabyN2010 is right, this is important and if someone tells you otherwise, don't be put off!

That's terrible!!!!

My doctor asked for it in a general blood test without me even knowing just in case I wanted to TTC. The last time she sneaked a look at my folic acid levels , she seems more determined than me that I get ttcing soon as I didn't ask for any of this

I would also like to recommend you get tested now while you are waiting to TTC. They test for the immunity routinely here as part of the blood work when you're pregnant. I found out that I am no longer immune and so I will have to get the MMR shot as soon as I have my baby.

I had my check end of last year and my immunity was fine. The nurse who took the blood said they hardly ever get women going for an immunity check pre-TTC.

Suppose i better get checked out allthough by the time i TTC i might have to get it checked again

i was no longer ammune got checked with pregnacy bloods had the jab for it the day i left the hospital with Lo

I had my rubella and I am immune :happydance: I saw my GP and rather sheepishly said I was thinking of TTC and she was thrilled I told her as apparently a lot of people don't bother for whatever reason and it means some miss out on the importance of Rubella and Folic acid. :D

So Yea Rubella immune is me :wohoo:

Im a bit of a naughty girl because after having my son over 2 yrs ago now I was told by midwife to have my rubella shot (must be no longer immune) and I didnt!! This has definately given me the kick up the arse to call up and have it done! Are ythere any after effects after apart from the norm?

Effects of the jab itself or the effect it can have if you catch it during pregnancy?

The jab itself isn't too bad, you should try to not conceive for a month after and usually 6-10 days after the jab you may feel a bit run down, achy joints, fever etc but you are likely to feel back to normal soon after.

If you catch Rubella during the first tri- 85% likely for the baby to catch congenital rubella syndrome, and the syndrome might include blindness, hearing impairment, heart problems, mental ******ation, or small head size, and other complications. Pregnancy loss can also occur. :nope:

Its better to have it done and to rather be safe than sorry!

:flower:

I didn't know how bad it could be! I must get myself booked in for a test asap as it's only 5 months until we TTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->