safe to bf when mom got cold/fever/flu ?

meowmeow

lil meow #1 soon!!
Reaction score
Is it safe to breastfeed baby when mom is sick with a cold or something? Does the virus get transferred to bub thru milk?
What other options available? Does pumping milk and hence minimizing contact with mom when she's sick help?

If you're unwell, you can (and should!) still breastfeed. The vast majority of viruses won't get passed on through breast milk and babies have high levels of immunity due to being breastfed in the first place.

Unless you're feeling really, really unwell, I would continue to breast feed directly rather than express - chances are, if you're unwell, your baby will be exposed to the same bug regardless of how you're feeding him/her, simple due to the exposure of being in the same house etc. :)

What Lousielou said really. It's good for the baby as you pass on antibodies. x

its actually great for babies! then they get the antibodies from Mom! Makes them less likely to get sick!

Yes, absolutely keep feeding (unless you feel your going to pass out while holding bub or something of course). Feeding bub will pass on the antibodies your body creates and help he/she fight off the bug if they catch it too. I got sick a bunch of times while breastfeeding and my son never once got sick. He didn't get sick at all until 14 months when I weaned him. Now it feels like he's sick every 2nd week! Breastfeeding is amazing for keeping bub disease free, in my opinion anyway. (absolutely not trying to start a breastfeeding/bottle feeding debate, just my experience.)

Agree with all of the above, there's no greater medicine than breast milk. They build their immunity from your milk which looks after them. Babies are quite resilient to infection believe it or not when being breastfed.

the only way youll pass your cold on is by kissing talking and not washing your hands after sneezing ect. so long as you remember hygiene your baby should be fine. like all mothers its probably unlikely as well wash our hands ext with new babies :)

I remember breastfeeding while having the flu...but yes it's great for them :)

Agree with everyone else.....the baby will get all the great antibodies that your body has produced to fight that flu/cold etc. I think the biggest thing is washing your hands thoroughly before and after feeding the baby and covering your cough. Breastfeeding is almost a sure fire way to keep your baby from getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->