Safe to fly while miscarrying?

Discussion in 'Miscarriage Support' started by Dontknow, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Dontknow

Dontknow New Member

Hi,

I'm new to this webpage, but I've seen a few threads about flying after a MC and was wondering if anyone here can help me.

I am in MT currently, but have been set to be moving down to FL this friday (11th) I'm wondering if it's safe for me to fly? My body has already expelled the embryo, but is still working on expelling the last bit of material. My OB said that the biggest risk would be hemorrhaging mid-flight, but my bleeding has slowed down so I'm a bit confused.. any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't have the option to stay in MT.

Thanks

2. jessmke

jessmke Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're going through this. I flew while having a miscarriage a few years ago. I was only about 6 weeks along so it was pretty early but I had to get on a plane to fly home from vacation the day after I started bleeding. Other than being emotional I had no complications from the 4.5 hr flight.

3. Dontknow

Dontknow New Member

Thank you so much, I figured I would be fine.. I was roughly 7 weeks along when I experienced the beginning signs of my miscarriage. I'm so sorry for your loss, and let's hope for better building blocks in the future

4. Yellowmoon

Yellowmoon Active Member

Hiya-

Firstly, I am very sorry for your loss :(.

Secondly, this same thing happened to me in November. I was due to go on a 10 hour flight and I had some ‘residule’ products still showing in the scan to pass. I was still bleeding brown at this point so it came as no surprise. The sac had already gone.

They signed me off and were happy for me to fly and I had no follow up appointment. I did contact the travel insurance company and they said that I didn’t need to pay anything extra because I had no medical intervention. The flight went well and the bleeding stopped whilst I was on holiday.

Hope that helps.