Salmonella

bbbbbbb811

Reaction score
I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum, so I'll try again:blush:
This last week I've been indulging in runny eggs, without remembering they are meant to be off limits:dohh:
What are the risks of salmonella in the UK?
The eggs I have eaten are red lion eggs(I believe it means their pasteurised) and I've eaten 4 eggs this last week.
But am I right in thinking, the risk is the same as when you're not pregnant? And if I don't get food poisoning symptoms, I won't have salmonella? Is the risk only salmonella/food poisoning or is there other risks to the baby?
Thanks for any help ladies:flower:

I'm in the US so I don't know about the risk in the UK.
I read that you kill salmonella if the heat goes over 140°F /60°C for 4 minutes. That's how I made bearnaise sauce at least haha. This is the link I found it at. https://dawnviola.com/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home-2-ways/

Unlike with listeria, I'm quite sure you always get symptoms with salmonella, and those symptoms appear shortly after eating the contaminated food (between 12 and 72 hours).

I work in the food industry and have heard many horror stories about salmonella. Including a guy who was cutting chicken, had a tiny cut on his finger and got salmonella because it entered the wound. (He also was more susceptible to it because of a number of factors, so don't freak out ladies!)

I can tell you that salmonella is not a sly mistress, he's more of a bumbling oaf in the sense that if you had it, you would know it. And you would REALLY know it. Your symptoms would be unmistakable and you would not be feeling well enough to write a post on here. Don't worry! But maybe no more runny eggs for a while :)

They were poached eggs, I didn't time them. But they were in. Boiling water for a short time(5 minutes maybe?) I feel fine, so if the food poisoning is the only thing that affects me and the baby.. I think I'm in the all clear(touch wood). But I think runny eggs are off the menu for the next 6 weeks:blush: thank you ladies!

If u buy ur eggs from tesco there chickens are all vaccinated against salmonella so u can eat them runny without the worry... it even states this on the egg box... iv eaten runny eggs all this pregnancy and im fine I can't bare hard yolk its awful lol xx

As long as the eggs are from hens vaccinated against salmonella then they are quite safe. If you had salmonella you would definitely know about it!

Having eaten runny eggs for 33yrs and not once getting salmonella from them, I'd say chances are pretty low :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->