Santa... Real or Not?

For some weird reason I felt terrible finally telling my parents I knew the truth. I can still vividly remember me telling them I knew Santa wasn't real. They weren't bothered but I felt like they would be really disappointed I didn't believe anymore. I was one strange child.

There is a real person behind the Santa stories, he may not be alive but he was a good man and done many good deeds, when my son learns the truth it will be explained to him that though he isn't bringing presents every year his name lives on to remind everyone that helping others in times of need is a good thing, that sometimes people just help others because they can, they want to, kind people where about then and are still about now, Its not a lie, its a message of goodwill and kindness!

( or maybe thats just my way of making myself feel better for the fib lol )

Definitely agree with sleepybaby! For me.when I was young santa made christmas, I still love it now but there's something so magical when you believe in Santa and that's the beauty of children they believe wonderful magical stories and it shows their innocence. I will definitely pretend there is a Santa for ds I can't wait to see how amazed his is by him! I also can't remember holding any grudges or anything when I found out he wasn't real kids get over it, it doesn't really send bad messages or scar them for life for finding out he's not real lol

X

We don't do Santa- we are Christian, and I would prefer the day to be about more than just what presents the kids are going to get.

So are we, and my folks never did Santa growing up. I wish they had, Christmas would have been more magical. We are doing both - teaching Lane Jesus' birth is why we celebrate Christmas, and that Santa is the one who brings the gifts! :winkwink:

This is what we're doing.
I agree with the others that telling your kids that Santa isn't real takes the magic and imagination out of things, isn't that what kids are about?
We'll also be telling her about the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny. I don't want her to grow up too fast so will probably be drawing all of this out until she leaves home. :haha:

My husband and I were both brought up like this.. Mom and dad never told us about santa but we learned about him from other kids, tv, ect. we we asked we were told the story behind him. It was up to us if we wanted to play along and if we did our parents were willing to keep the surprise. So we didn't believe in him but we still put out the cookies and had the "from Santa gifts". It was still magical to us but our parents didn't have to "lie" to us. -- They did this for everything Easter bunny tooth fairy... It didn't harm me and I still found the holidays magical and fun. Same for hubby.

There is a real person behind the Santa stories, he may not be alive but he was a good man and done many good deeds, when my son learns the truth it will be explained to him that though he isn't bringing presents every year his name lives on to remind everyone that helping others in times of need is a good thing, that sometimes people just help others because they can, they want to, kind people where about then and are still about now, Its not a lie, its a message of goodwill and kindness!

This is how our parents explained it actually!

I am 31 and my sister is 26. We had the most amazing and magical time believing in Santa. Our parents didn't have a lot back then so it was by no means a time for material goods but it was the magic and wonder of it all.

We were told that Santa would tickle your feet to make sure you were sleeping and like a pp said i can still remember the butterflies i got trying to drift off on Christmas eve.

I left home 6 years ago. Up until then we had our traditional Christmas morning where Santa left us presents. We just couldn't let it go and why should we, it was fun. This year will be different as there is now a grandchild and im a mother myself but every year since i left home i drive to my family home in the wee hours, run straight to my sisters room and we all go down stairs together to see what Santa has left.

It is entirely up to you what you decide to do. From what you have said you are following what your parents did with you. Your OH maybe had a different experience and therefore would like to do it differently.

It is easier to believe and find out the truth later than to know the truth and try to convince yourself otherwise.

Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy all exist in our household!! We love it, Xmas was always magical when it was Santa after that I just felt guilty that it was mum and dad buying the presents lol, my DD1 is 6 and still believes in it all, at Easter my mil comes to the house early and leaves a basket of goodies for her on the door set and a cuddly toy from the bunny lol Santa gets the cookie and milk and she has not once questioned any of it she has a great imagination which I'm hoping she keeps for a good few years yet!! And DD2 is only 6 months so we have another 8+ years yet to carry the imagination on I'm loving it!!! But each to there own x

This is how our parents explained it actually!

The whole story of Santa started with St. Nicholas who put money in three sister's stockings (that were left to dry on the fireplace) so their Dad could afford their doweries and so they could get married and not have to go into slavery....thats how we get stockings full of presents, chocolate coins and strangely oranges in our stockings (balls of gold!) :)

Santa house here :) Eamon isn't quite bright enough to "get it" yet but next year he will be and we can't wait!

the way i look at it is that i up to the age of 10 thought santa was real and yes i was disappointed when i found out he wasn't, but do I resent my mum for lying to me? hell no- its one of the greatest acts of love she has done. it hasn't scarred me and I thank her for making christmas magical.

I'm the happy middle type of gal. I couldn't stand the thought of lying to my so-precious babies for exactly the same reason as you. While I understand that parents inevitably lie to their children I didn't see the need for it to be such a big one (about what is a very real relationship to some children, so then the discovery of the lie much like them experiencing a death of sorts). I get that all kids don't have that same emotional break up, but some do and I didn't want to risk it.

That said, Christmas doesn't have to be without santa, and it certainly doesn't have to be thought of as sad or lacking just because you don't work so hard to lie your butt off at every turn leading up to the day. When my daughter was old enough to pick up that santa was everywhere, I read her the story and explained it to her as a lovely story that we take much joy out of. She's as excited about santa as the next kid, she just doesn't happen to believe that he'll come sneaking into the house with her gifts.

She's very well aware that we get her presents, and I even came up with a tradition that we all so very much love now... every year at a certain time (generally when we put up the tree, although I've been shopping long before that) Daddy pulls up a chair and my daughter climbs into his lap in her pajamas. Sometimes she's written a list or letter, sometimes not. He snuggles her and talks to her about how good she's been this year, and asks what she'd like for Christmas. :)

Every year she's a little older and naturally wants to be more involved with selecting and wrapping gifts. She was like that even at age four, so we'd all have missed out on that experience if we were hiding behind santa. It is delightful for all of us for her to participate and put presents slowly under the tree as the time approaches - and even more delightful to surprise her with extra gifts on Christmas morning. :) All from us, the people who love her. :)

She'll never miss santa b/c she's had him in her life in a different context. She'll also never lose him b/c we never have to change the context of that relationship. He's a great story, and great fun. We also have other traditions we love - such as making cookies together and giving them out to people we love or who need cheer, making up cinnamon rolls to rise and be eaten on Christmas, reading the Christmas Story out of the Bible with the house lit by candles on Christmas Eve while sipping hot cocoa in the new pajamas bought and unwrapped as the 'one gift before Christmas'.... it goes on and on.

Christmas is magical if you make it that way. Santa or no, it is a miraculous and joyful time all the way around. :)

Reading through now that I posted what we do, and didn't realize stockings were just a santa thing. We grew up doing them, and I do them for our home too. Had no clue that stockings could up and go away with the santa myth. lol

Also, regarding other kids who believe - my daughter does know that if a kid talks about santa coming it is 100% not okay to tell them he's not real. That's an individual person/family thing, so she's careful not to 'ruin' it for her cousin. (There is only one out of 18 cousins she has who has the whole santa thing going. No danger she'll 'spoil' anything for the other 17. lol)

I do disagree that the magic is gone w/out santa. We grew up without him yet had the same surging excitement and butterflies, finding it nearly impossible to sleep Christmas Eve. That comes from the presents you're getting, not only from santa. lol Kids find everything special and it isn't robbery to provide the magic in different ways. :)

I don't see what is wrong about allowing a child to have some magic in their lives before they have reality to contend with one day. I loved Christmas growing up and we absolutely believed in Santa and I want the same for my little girl. It seems sad to me that someone would view a wonderful tradition as "lying". Really, it isn't about you...it's about your LO and allowing her to believe in something even if for only a short time. For me, it really is about what will make my daughter's childhood as fun, memorable and magical as possible and if that means I have to "lie" to accomplish that goal then so be it.

If some decide to see talking about Santa as a lie, maybe you could show then that some lies are meant to make people feel good and are not necessarily bad. Akin to the wife asking a husband if she looks fat in those pants and the husband saying no. :winkwink:

Reading through now that I posted what we do, and didn't realize stockings were just a santa thing. We grew up doing them, and I do them for our home too. Had no clue that stockings could up and go away with the santa myth. lol

Also, regarding other kids who believe - my daughter does know that if a kid talks about santa coming it is 100% not okay to tell them he's not real. That's an individual person/family thing, so she's careful not to 'ruin' it for her cousin. (There is only one out of 18 cousins she has who has the whole santa thing going. No danger she'll 'spoil' anything for the other 17. lol)

I do disagree that the magic is gone w/out santa. We grew up without him yet had the same surging excitement and butterflies, finding it nearly impossible to sleep Christmas Eve. That comes from the presents you're getting, not only from santa. lol Kids find everything special and it isn't robbery to provide the magic in different ways. :)

Exactly this. People are saying that without the Santa lie then kids will have no magic in their lives - thats ridiculous! If the only magic/imagination/belief in a child's life is Santa then I feel sorry for that child. Christmas was very magical and exciting for me without Santa, and my imagination allowed for so much other magic in my childhood (that actually came from my own imagination instead of being a story told to me by my parents)

We tell the legend of st Nicholas and how that evolved into the story of Santa BUT we tell them it's make believe. They still write letter to Santa and leave carrots for the reindeer but they know we are playing a game. Hasn't taken the magic out one but and I'm not lying to them. My humble opinion is that a lie is a lie even if the intent is to make someone feel good. It's also not the point of the season for us. We also talk about Jesus and the good deeds he did for others and make the season about volunteering and helping others. I want them to remember that more than anything. That to me is the true magic of christmas.

My husband and I were both brought up like this.. Mom and dad never told us about santa but we learned about him from other kids, tv, ect. we we asked we were told the story behind him. It was up to us if we wanted to play along and if we did our parents were willing to keep the surprise. So we didn't believe in him but we still put out the cookies and had the "from Santa gifts". It was still magical to us but our parents didn't have to "lie" to us. -- They did this for everything Easter bunny tooth fairy... It didn't harm me and I still found the holidays magical and fun. Same for hubby.

Exactly this.
I dont think not being the one to tell her that hes real will make it any less magical for her. And I honestly dont beleive that you need Santa to make it magical for them.
There are so many special things you can do at Christmas time that can help make it a special time. I actually remember that one of the things I did at xmas for a few years as a child was the shoebox gift made for charity with school. We all put in one of our own toys, sweets and an item of clothing, and I felt so good about myself those years... I think that would be much more magical than pretending Santa is real.

Like ive said in a PP, im not going to ruin it for her and tell her he isnt real, and if she chooses to beleive, ill let her put out cookies/mince pies and write letters and whatever else she wants to do.. And im sure we'll have alot of fun and that christmas will be just as magical as it is for those whose parents tell the lie.

When I remember back to my childhood now, I never really believed in Santa. And if I did it wasn't an obsession. I couldn't care less about Santa, all I cared about was my presents. I also remember one Christmas Eve when I was about 4 or 5, seeing my dad dressed up as Santa putting presents under our tree and just instinctively knowing it was dad. Didn't take away from the 'magic' of Christmas. I guess I must have been a really cynical, materialistic child lmao.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with my boy, I think I'll just be really relaxed about it and not push the Santa myth like it is the be all and end all. In fact I'm more leaning towards telling him about Santa like it is a story and just playing it out like a game or a tradition and not like he's a real person. Nothing wrong with that in my view. And going by what I loved about Christmas as a child (the toys... Barbies... decorating the tree, seeing Christmas lights on peoples homes and the music etc) the other aspects of the season are more exciting than the idea of Santa anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->