Santa... Real or Not?

Santa has nothing to do with the true meaning of christmas...

I beg to differ. One could compare St Nick giving gifts to children to the wise men bringing gifts to the babe in the manger. This would be a great way to link how special children are in God's eyes.

By the way, Santa = St Nick, who is a religious figure and therefore part of the modern Christmas story.

Santa has nothing to do with the true meaning of christmas, therefore is not a part of our holiday, and tradition.

Not gonna bother me one bit if my son tells his schoolmates that he doesn't exist. It's not his fault those kids parents lied to them. Pretty crappy thing to do imo just for the sake of "christmas magic".

You sound like a real blast to be around this time of year.

Santa has nothing to do with the true meaning of christmas, therefore is not a part of our holiday, and tradition.

Not gonna bother me one bit if my son tells his schoolmates that he doesn't exist. It's not his fault those kids parents lied to them. Pretty crappy thing to do imo just for the sake of "christmas magic".

:dohh:

Okay, admittedly I'm not religious at all, and so the Jesus stuff is not and never was a part of my Christmas.

But my Christmas was never about greed or lots of presents. To ME, it was always about getting together with my whole family and watching Christmas movies with my parents and yes, when I was little, getting excited about Santa.

I respect that a lot of people don't do Santa due to their religious beliefs but why poop on how other people celebrate it? Surely it's an exciting time for most kids...and not just because of the gifts. I always donated gifts around Christmastime as well, did volunteer Chrismas concerts at old folks homes, etc. Lots of really GOOD things that are considered outside the "meaning" of Christmas.

Like I said, you do what you want to do. But there's no need to trash how others choose to do it.

You sound like a real blast to be around this time of year.

:haha::haha::haha:

Wow. As I've said, we won't be doing Santa, unless Alice makes it clear she wants to. I'd be horrified if she bluntly told others he doesn't exist. It's a belief held like any other, and I will raise my child to be respectful of others' beliefs, whether or not she agrees with them.

I am so stunned reading your second paragraph that someone could be so disrespectful and callous. You really should have some respect for others choices and beliefs

I live in Spain and my sister is 9 and still believes in Santa! It´s the norm here. They mostly celebrate 6th Jan though (The 3 kings). And the kids all believe that the 3 kings come and bring your presents. I think it´s lovely and the kids love it! I can´t wait to leave milk and biscuits out for the reindeer!!!! I also remember my brothers and sisters being better behaved so Santa would come that year! :happydance:

I am noticing a pattern of "I wish I was still young and had that magic." Am I wrong to think that each time it is said, it is proof again that Christmas held magic, or at least more magic, when you are young? I'm still a big bunch of pre-Christmas-freak-out happiness every single year. It never had to go away. I love for people to do their own thing, but in reading these to see if we really are missing something, I'm only becoming more certain that I want my girls to have special Christmases that don't lose something with the discovery that Santa is just a story.

No judgment there, by the way. Just an honest expression of what hit me reading all of these. For those who do equate santa to extra happiness, by all means, keep up the ruse as long as you possibly can. <3

This.

It does seem like Christmas isn't as good anymore for people now they're older and know the truth whereas I still get excited as I ever did about Christmas.

I would be very upset if Maria told other children that Santa isn't real. I will teach her that most children believe in him and its cruel to ruin that belief. One of my brothers did tell the other kids in school and the parents were so angry at my mum.

Right. I told My son he wasnt real. And before any one thinks I am a horrible mum or that I think less of peolpe that do believe heres why.

My son was in tears as it was used as a threat by the in laws, its the same all around here. Parents seem to use it as manipulation in to getting kids to do things and behave. Just to ensure they behave, Williams a good kid, naturally kind spirited, never bad. Yet when I asked him what he wanted from santa he would look glum and say santa wasnt coming. Christmas was turning in to something he wasnt enjoying. I tried to help him see that he was getting stuff but he would just come out to any one that asked very with drawl and sad on the subject. So I told him Santa wasnt real and we bought his presents and he was so happy! started planning what he was buying everyone to. He likes santa, he will say santa is coming but he isnt worried or glum about it any more. I think its horrible what they do here, it ruins so many children's Christmases. I dont think I have robbed william of anything other than being sad to being happy. He loves things about santa anyway. I had a few rows in the family when people would do the idle threat on the way out the door "be good or no santa", just for no reason? horrible. Way to turn a good kid bad by making them feel bad about themselves for no reason.

I know people use santa as the way its meant, to create magical christmasses etc thats great! please dont chalk me down as judging any one because of what I had to do I had enough of that of so called friends. Some kids are devastated when santa isnt real to, my brother told me at an early age and ruined my christmasses from there on in, I was screaming my eyes out. If you going to tell them let them work it out in their own time. My parents even had santa call me and all. I wasnt angry at them I was angry at my brother.

True meaning of Christmas is actually taken from Pagans, whole other thread though.

I don't know a single adult that has been scarred for life for bei lied to about Santa! It's just abit of fun, x

Wow I can't believe such an innocent thing as believing in Santa can be such a hot topic
We do Santa in this house I love it I don't see anything wrong with kids believing in abit of magic I can't wait to see DD1 face Christmas morning when she realises Santa has been hell I even say be good or Santa won't come shoot me now lol
We did it as kids I was the youngest and when my sisters stopped believing I remember getting an extra present from Santa because I stilled believed lol
We where also brought up on the church and knew about Jesus etc so we knew both stories we would go to mass Christmas Eve then go home to bed and Santa would come
IMO there is nothing wrong with telling kids a few white lies some things kids don't need to worry about the truth I say just let them be kids for as long as possiable

I wonder if it would be ok for Isabelle to go round telling kids god or Jesus isn't real :shrug:...... Because to me telling kids about that is lying Aswell

I wouldn't let her destroy someone else's fun, magic or beliefs as THAT is a REALLY crappy thing to let her do

I wonder if it would be ok for Isabelle to go round telling kids god or Jesus isn't real :shrug:...... Because to me telling kids about that is lying Aswell

I wouldn't let her destroy someone else's fun, magic or beliefs as THAT is a REALLY crappy thing to let her do
Fair enough about santa but what about kids who are brought up without a belief in God? or even a different belief. My kids dont even know who God is.

Fair enough about santa but what about kids who are brought up without a belief in God? or even a different belief. My kids dont even know who God is.

Tbh I wouldn't let her go around telling any kid that something or someone that they believe in isn't real whatever that belief may be.

Tbh I wouldn't let her go around telling any kid that something or someone that they believe in isn't real whatever that belief may be.

^^^^^ I totally agree! ^^^^^

We are a christian household.... but would be distraught if I found out one day that our boy would tell someone that any of their beliefs or non belief is a lie or a joke or make believe. Call me naive but it just seems so natural and unfair for some to just fling comments around about God not existing like its a fact when noone really KNOWS, they just choose to have faith in it! And shattering someone's hopes or faith in something before they're ready to accept it or find out for themselves is just plain horrible! It can make them question everything about themselves and cause damage.

Back to the topic though. The whole mince pie and brandy on the mantle piece is a lovely tradition to do.... even if for "cosmetic" reasons and everyone knows that Dad took a bite and a slurp out of them! :haha:

Santa made Christmas magical for me as a kid... It was just a huge part of the tradition... And being that Santa is my reason for celebrating Christmas, I'm not gonna give that up. I leave out cookies for Santa and a treat for the reindeer every year, even as an adult before I had a baby. It's so much fun, and I just hope my older nephew doesn't ruin it for me.

Wow. It would be pretty awful if your child went around ruining Christmas for other kids. It surprises me that it wouldn't bother you if your lo made another child sad or cry!

Wow. It would be pretty awful if your child went around ruining Christmas for other kids. It surprises me that it wouldn't bother you if your lo made another child sad or cry!

My brother did, my parents got phone calls from a lot of angry parents, lol

Have to agree with rjm09. Kids aren't responsible for upholding the stories that other parents tell their kids. Kids just talk about what they know to be true or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->