scan at 21 weeks: multicystic dysplastic kidney

susanna

Reaction score
hi girls,
do any of you hav experience of this? at my 21 week scan, they found an abnormality on the baby's right kidney- it is enlarged and appears to have several cysts in it. The doctor suspects it is a multicystic dysplastic kidney- which usually is non-functioning... meaning that baby only has one functioning kidney. There is nothing one can do, but they will scan me again in six weeks and then when baby is born.
The other kidney looks fine and bladder etc functions look good as well. So fingers crossed all will be fine... they said that you can be completely healthy with just one kidney. I was just wondering if any of you have come across this/have experience of this, as I am a little worried.

Thanx for reading!

at my 20 week scan they found an enlarged kidney, but didnt mention any cysts?
they said i have to go for a 32 week scan and if there is no change they will scan baby when its born. they said it should be totally fine though as we only need one kidney.
but they could find something different at 32 week scan and it be totally normal and fine...

good luck xxxx

They were quite reassuring to me as well that the worst case is that only one kidney is functioning but that lots of people only have one... and many don't even know!
So I guess we just stay positive and hopefully it's nothing to worry about :hugs:

My friend in works son had this and he has no problems. She definately mentioned cyst/s on the non-functioning one. He's about 5 now and has to have checks at the hospital to check his functioning kidney is growing correctly. I've only started chatting to her recently - but I know he's just been for his routine check (not sure how often they are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->