Scan at 5.5 weeks ..

Lisa2701

Reaction score
I am being sent for a scan tomorrow at 5+5 weeks as I've had bleeding. The nurse at the early pregnancy unit said that she didn't know what they'd be able to see so early though. For those who have been for a very early scan can you tell me rough what to expect to be able to see if everything is ok?

I had a reassurance scan at 6+6 and it was just a blob but we did see the heartbeat. Not sure at 5+5 you may see a yolk sac etc but may or may not see a heart beat but everyone is different hope everything goes well

At 5 weeks exactly I saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac x

I agree mostly just the yolk sac will be visible. Depending on your HCG levels there may be nothing visible yet. Usually until your HCG is over 1,000 you can't see anything (just connection of that level with growth).

Yeah I thought that. I just don't want to go in expecting a heartbeat and not seeing it so wanted to know if others had had a scan this early. Even though I know it's early and not to expect a HB i suspect I'll still be disappointed if that's the case.

smoore- my HGC levels last night were 8500. Is there a link between hcg levels and what can be seen in a scan?

From what I've read/been told they can't see anything at all in a scan until you are at least past 1000. I would think you could def see a sack at the very least at that level. :)

I had a scan at what I thought was 6+3 but I measured at 5+6, sonographer said she could see heartbeat was present xx

Also seen gestation sac, yolk sac and foetal pole.

I had a scan and 5+3 with lo we seen gestational sac and yolk sack.

I had a previous scan at 4+3 and seen gest scan so it was lovely to watch watch the progress.

At 5w2 days I had a scan for bleeding as well. They saw a gestational sac and yolk sac forming.

I bled light light pink/peach and mostly brown. It never hit the toilet or panties and was only there when I wiped. That was weeks 5-7.

What prompted my early scan was one wipe of bright red blood.

Also, at 5w2 days my hcg was 3300+

I had a scan at 5, 6 & 7 weeks because of health problems. At 5 weeks they could see i was pregnant but there was no heartbeat. By the 6th week there was a tiny little flicker of a heartbeat ♡ it was amazing xx

Hi, I have been bleeding on and off for the last 2 weeks, I had a scan when I was 5 weeks (could have been 1 or 2 days behind) and all she could see was a sac, my hcg was 1117 that day, they were trying to work out what's going on and whether the sac is a genuine gestational one, she said it was too early to really see anything conclusive, but when they rang me that afternoon to give me my hcg results they said you can't really see anything until hcg is 2000 or more so you should be able to see something with your levels the way they are, I have my second follow up scan tomorrow morning and I'm terrified because I'm still bleeding a bit now, it's all so stressful!

Sending you lots of luck for your scan tomorrow, let us know how you get on :hugs:

I had a scan when I was 6weeks from lmp, they said I was 3 days behind so 5weeks and 4 days and they saw the heartbeat, BUT it can be completely normal to not see a heartbeat at that stage and everything still be ok. Hope it goes well for you! X

Hi ladies. Thank you so much for all your replies. I've had my scan today. It was inconclusive :cry: the yolk sac could be seen but she queried the fetal pole and there was no heartbeat. We have to wait ten days and go back for another scan which should be more conclusive - going to be a LONG wait :cry:

:hugs: That is a really long wait.

Can't they do some blood work to see if your HCG levels are still rising?

^ what she said xx

Because of the discharge I've had I bet I'm offered a scan soon but I'm going to wait it out for this reason. I couldn't wait that long. Done it before.

With my daughter I had a scan very early on and all the saw was thick womb lining. X

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that :( are they going to do a couple of days measuring hcg levels in your blood? If they haven't said about it then it would be worth asking them to, that would then give you and idea as to whether your levels are progressing normally, sending you lots of best wishes :hugs:

Thanks ladies. They did not repeat my hcg or offer to do so :nope:

On a positive note my bleeding has stopped and my nipple are still KILLING me so those are good signs.

Those are good signs, and on my first scan 2 weeks ago I was 5 weeks 2 days and all they could see was an empty sac so don't lose hope, anything can happen in these early stages :flower:

Those are good signs, and on my first scan 2 weeks ago I was 5 weeks 2 days and all they could see was an empty sac so don't lose hope, anything can happen in these early stages :flower:

Yeah I was prepared for not seeing a heartbeat but I wasn't prepared for them questioning weather she was able to see a fetal pole or not. The midwife did say that the person who scanned me had measured the potential fetus so she didn't know why she was questioning weather it was a fetus or not so I am taking that as maybe she didn't want to say for sure the pregnancy was viable without a heartbeat or something :shrug: I'm not sure but I've stopped bleeding and I didn't bleed heavy at any point so I'm hanging onto hope. My previous miscarriages I have been doubled in two with pain and pouring with blood (sorry tmi :blush:) so unless that happens I am going to continue to believe this pregnancy will continue as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->