School friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensonsmummy

Reaction score
My son has just started primary school and not sure what is the done thing with buying friends presents. To be honest I would prefere not to, as christmas is expensive enough without adding more to list.

My son came home with a party bag style present yesterday from a wee boy in his class who isn't one of his good friends, in it was a colouring page, 3 colouring pencils and a chocolate Santa lolly. Do I buy back? Which then means I will feel bad and have to buy ll the boys in the class or do I not?

i wouldn't start doing it tbh i'd maybe send a bag of the little packets of haribos or similar in for all the kids.

I wouldn't buy back. As you say, it would just get out of hand with30 presents! Just say thanks.

I wouldn't either, my friend does it for her sons class on Valentine's, Christmas, Halloween etc. I dread to think how much it costs her but she loves doing it lol :wacko: I'm sticking with Xmas cards :thumbup:

That's what I was thinking. I'm not even sure who the child is but il get LO to thank him. It's their christmas party on Monday so will maybe send sweets for them all x

I agree, don't start it or it'll become expected.

I'm a teacher (and if it'd relovant, in quite an affluent area) and honestly, not many kids buy presents for each other (and when they do it's usually just 3 or 4 close friends, and mainly selection box type presents). What a lot of the kids do that I think is a nice idea, is pop a chocolate coin or something similar in a Christmas card. Plus that way the teachers aren't inundated with tons of pacfets of sweets yo hand out!!!

None of the children I teach exchange presents at christmas (though it might be worth mentioning that few of them celebrate Christmas outside of school. I don't remember any of them buying each other Eid presents either). They just swap cards instead. If you'd like to send something for everyone, perhaps some fairy cakes, or chocolate coins. Or send something particularly nice for the class Christmas party? Homemade savouries always go down well with the children!

I always send in a little something for the whole class so no one feels left out. Last year I made reindeer cookies and this year I'm making reindeer bags with a bit of candy in it.

My daughter has just started school too, she wanted to give her best friend a little craft activity, so we've done that and a little choc for him in a gift bag for him to do as soon as they break up.

When DD was in preschool she handed out candy canes to her class. I would never buy presents for the whole class though. It would just get too expensive for me. Cards or a small piece of candy I think are good ideas if you want to do something.

Thanks, I decided to get Santa and snowman marshmallow lollies from home bargains so worked out at £10 and that's one for everyone. It's his party tomorrow so will send them in then

I wouldn't buy gifts for everyone, that's just way too expensive on top of all the other people to buy for. I agree with the others, if you want to do something, a small snack or something similar for the class would be easier/cheaper.

I was wondering this too as DD came home with a card and inside was a mini candy cane to hang on the Christmas tree. I don't really want to start but might if she receives any more gifts this week as we can take them in on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"