Schools reopening

Oh yes but by 6pm I am SO ready for them to go to bed LOL

One of our teachers is very on the ball. She marks all the work during the day and if there are mistakes she comments and we have to correct them :roll:. I know it is so they learn but she seems to not understand that when we are all done with the work for the day, it is kinda awful to have to ask him to sit down again and go over one part of the work. Be are all sooo done by then lol I need to monitor more carefully before we hand in stuff.

I don't think they would let work slide with us as they know I am at home and don't work ( as such) but if I couldn't cope I think they would do their best to support me. So far I have been very impressed and grateful with all the support our school seems to offer. But we have now missed the afternoon play PE session twice and it did help with getting on with the work load. I am thinking this lesson might just have to give and I hope they will let us. We shall see.
One of Ds's teachers marks and send back for him to rework anything that isn't correct, I understand why she is asking him to re-look at it but having to re submit then means he's doing something he's already ticked off, its interrupting the thing he's now doing and its pushing back the rest of the stuff on his list to start! He started today by looking at all of his deadlines and working through that way, its definitely giving him an understanding of how to time manage and prioritise things...

Ds is so not interested in the arty stuff so I've said to ignore those 'fun' projects, he'd much rather do a Sumdog challenge.

Well we have no choice, we have to do it all. And today Dom's teacher announced that all work needs to be in by 3. Ugh.

Today we have:

- 2 worksheets for Maths, TT Rockstar for 15 minutes
- 1 paper with answers for a reading comprehension
- 4 papers for writing, which includes listening to 2 chapters of a book (the writing work is always the most time consuming for us)
- 1 paper on counties which involves a powerpoint presentation to read and then doing research and a presentation on where we live. I imagine that teachers think this is a fun project but I don't think it is. At. All.
We had a PE meet at 10 for 30 minutes, a class meet at 11:30 which in Dom's case went to 12:20. We are supposed to have another PE meet at 1:30 till 2. I think we might skip that so that we don't have to rush all that writing work.

ETA: Oh and of course we also are supposed to work on our oh so fun presentation on trees and the project called Your Masterpiece which is meant to be a drawing and presentation on what can be seen from the London Eye. Fun fun fun...

That is ridiculous. How can they expect that people are going to be able to put their full attention and effort into the work when there's so much of it and such strict deadlines!

I guess it is no more but probably less than what they do at school between 9 and and 3 :roll: Not too sure how working parents are meant to cope but yeah...

we can't be expected to be proper teachers when we don't have the qualifications they have and we have to do cooking, cleaning etc too :(

Yeah I know :( We started work at 9 today and are done with the maths and reading comp, so I am hoping that will help. As for chores, I am doing kitchen/laundry stuff surreptitiously in the background while the boys have their meets. And I guess if we do manage to be done by 3 and don't get any work back to correct, I can do all the rest then.

I think the difference in school is that there are time slots for each subject and the children work within that slot, if they don't finish within the set time they move on the the next topic and finish off/continue the next time they are doing that subject or during a 'free' session - all punctuated by breaks. Working at home to deadlines is beginning to feel like a long list of tests that have to be handed in on time or are marked as missed or late.

I think the difference in school is that there are time slots for each subject and the children work within that slot, if they don't finish within the set time they move on the the next topic and finish off/continue the next time they are doing that subject or during a 'free' session - all punctuated by breaks. Working at home to deadlines is beginning to feel like a long list of tests that have to be handed in on time or are marked as missed or late.

Very true!

I only work 2 hours a day in a special needs school but because I am classed as a 'key worker' I was told Matilda and Charlotte should be sent to school as key worker children. But because OH works from home and I am concerned for their welfare atm, we have decided to keep them at home and battle on. OH gets their lunch when he makes his own and then they are 'left' downstairs to play XBox until I come in and carry on with their work.
I can't submit work by 3.15 which is the deadline but if they ask I will just say I am at work! I can only do so much.

We are all doing a great job ladies!...these are totally abnormal conditions and we are not teachers. Take one day at a time and just do what we can :)

Had a pretty rough few days why I’ve been MIA ! Had a migraine that came on suddenly and just wouldn’t shift ! I’ve had headaches which I mentioned on here last week ! This one started Friday night by Saturday afternoon I was in agony . Never had a headache like this in my life ! 4 days in total I had it with today being the first day I’ve had hardly any pain . GP sent me for urgent bloods and also pain relief !

Which now brings me to my next issue I am convinced all these issues I have are down to the over bite I have . I’ve always felt my jaw / teeth are not aligned properly and my jaw should sit more to the left .My dentist has never had an issue with my bite / jaw but did say I do grind my teeth ( oh the joys ) .I am currently looking into invisalign treatment but obviously won’t happen any time soon with covid ! Anyone ever had this treatment ?!

Sorry went off on one there haha

Glad to see everyone else is well ! Homeschooling as you can imagine hasn’t gone well for us this week ! But Wow your kids seem to be doing a lot and it’s well planned out but we don’t have the time to do everything !

Our school has said just do what we can but try our best and don’t worry if everything is not submitted on that day! We were in a good routine but life happens so let’s get back on the horse and go again !

Oh Babybump, I'm so sorry to hear your headaches aren't improving, it's such a debilitating thing at the time and having a family and home to manage through it must feel like wading through treacle while banging your head on a wall!!!! I'm glad your gp sounds pro active, do you know when your blood results should be back?
I know seeing a dentist right now isn't easy but they are open for emergencies, it might be worth calling them? Although starting treatment for an over bite and miss alignment probably isn't an option they may at least be able to have a mouth guard made up to help you deal with the grinding, I have a friend who got one a few years ago and although it took a little while to get used to using it she did get relief from it. I've also heard that although NHS dental treatments are emergency only private clinics are offering more options.
I hope the rest of your week goes more smoothly.

@Babybump87 I'm sorry you're still having the headaches. They must be so horrible. I'm glad your gp is looking into the reason and sent you for tests. Hoping you get some answers soon :hugs:

I hope your dentist is able to help with regards to the over bite and alignment issues. Hoping you don't have to wait for too long and are feeling better soon :hugs:

Our kids were supposed to go back Monday. Surprise, they aren't! I think my kids are going to fail their years because we're not going online. Our household is an absolute mess. I've actually threatened to leave on several occasions. I just can't handle this level of stress. I'm so impressed with how other moms are doing.

Phantom, please don't panic that you children will fail the year, it's very probable that they aren't as far behind as you think. To be honest at times all the on line stuff is a bit of a distraction, sitting reading or doing work sheets and watching some childrens education programs is far less stressful all round and easier to take in. Also remember that a large number of people in their classes will be in similar positions and the teachers will know this and be geared up for it when they do go back. Also don't underestimate the life skills they will be learning while at home with you, if they're not already doing it then get them to help in the kitchen, reading recipes and ingredients, writing your shopping lists, cooking etc.
I'm more concerned about you than them, things seem far from settled right now, do you have some good back up, someone you can speak to?

Thanks ladies it was awful but I am going to phone the dentist tomorrow and see what they think , no one answered today which was annoying ! Hopefully I can be seen like you say @Rags I’d like to think this was an emergency !

In the meantime DH ordered me a mould for your teeth stop them grinding . Was actually very comfortable ha . Not really recommended for long term , I’d obviously prefer one done by the dentist but hopefully this will be a very short term solution . Thanks rags we was on fire today with the homework and both DDs got good comments. Now tomorrow is catch up on the housework urgh !
Thanks @Bevziibubble ! It’s been so frustrating I’ve had issues with my jaw for about 9 years or so but never seemed to properly address them or the dentist didn’t seem concerned. Must admit I don’t like the dentist after a bad experience as a kid ! Always make sure my kids feel comfortable going and not to be scared !

@Phantom dont worry about your kids failing . Kids are very aware and can make great progress in such a short time ! Many parents are in the same position so your not alone just try your best ! I agree some of the life skills I’ve been doing with my girls will be needed so much more than some of the homework we have been doing ! Hope your ok xxx

Babybump, are your wisdom teeth all in yet? I know they can take years to come through and I remember periods of absolute agony in my jaw and difficulty even opening my mouth while mine were threatening to come through.

Thanks ladies it was awful but I am going to phone the dentist tomorrow and see what they think , no one answered today which was annoying ! Hopefully I can be seen like you say @Rags I’d like to think this was an emergency !

In the meantime DH ordered me a mould for your teeth stop them grinding . Was actually very comfortable ha . Not really recommended for long term , I’d obviously prefer one done by the dentist but hopefully this will be a very short term solution . Thanks rags we was on fire today with the homework and both DDs got good comments. Now tomorrow is catch up on the housework urgh !
Thanks @Bevziibubble ! It’s been so frustrating I’ve had issues with my jaw for about 9 years or so but never seemed to properly address them or the dentist didn’t seem concerned. Must admit I don’t like the dentist after a bad experience as a kid ! Always make sure my kids feel comfortable going and not to be scared !

I hope you manage to get hold of them tomorrow :hugs:
@Phantom dont worry about your kids failing . Kids are very aware and can make great progress in such a short time ! Many parents are in the same position so your not alone just try your best ! I agree some of the life skills I’ve been doing with my girls will be needed so much more than some of the homework we have been doing ! Hope your ok xxx

Babybump, are your wisdom teeth all in yet? I know they can take years to come through and I remember periods of absolute agony in my jaw and difficulty even opening my mouth while mine were threatening to come through.
Yes I have all of my teeth . I did just have to double check haha .
When I close my mouth all of my back teeth meet correctly but then the front 4 top teeth cover most of my bottom front teeth (over bite which most people do have but then you get called a deep bite which is where it’s too much )

Ive read so much about teeth and where they should meet haha .

Seriously wish we had a dentist in the family right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->