Self settling baby

caz_hills

Reaction score
Hi I need some advice please.

My daughter is four months old now and she either feeds to sleep or I rock her to sleep. I've tried to read her cues and put her to sleep awake but she cries. So I end up rocking her to sleep.

I keep telling myself she is still really young and It is fine but i fear I Am making a rod for my own back as she can't seem to settle.

WhT should I do? I do occasionally try to put her down awake but she just cries and I hate hating her cry so I pick her up.

Help! Thanks x

I feed/Rock to sleep too. Im just enjoying it while it lasts tbh because it won't be too long before they'll be wriggling away from us.
I know it can be hard work though especially when you have other children to deal with x

I'd say if you're both happy with rocking to sleep, why not! :thumbup:

Will she have a dummy? My daughter used (and still uses) a dummy and white noise (Ewan) to fall asleep, might that be something that would work for your DD? xxx

I rocked my 3 yr old for ages. I think at 9 ish months we naturally stopped but I didnt make a concious decesion. Just happened gradually :) x

What you're doing sounds perfect, just keep doing it until it no longer works or you find something else works better. Our daughter was always fed or worn to sleep until she was about 6 months. Then she'd fall asleep without feeding but one of us lying with her for a few minutes (we co-slept anyway). She started to self settle most days on her own from about 13 months. We didn't do anything different really. It just sorta happened. She'll be 4 next month and minus a few rough periods with illness and moving and teething etc she's generally slept great and goes to sleep really easily. She was definitely a high needs baby, but we just went with it and did what seems right and was what she needed at the time. It happened when she was ready. It sounds like you're doing great.

I'm on my fourth baby, and I still do this. Once they start crawling around a lot, they don't want as many snuggles.... Then, they start walking around, and the cuddles are only at nap time... Then, they suddenly act like they don't even need you anymore. I'm just kidding - it's wonderful. They're independent and grow to be their own little people. :)

Thanks for your replies. In some ways it's not a big deal as I don't mind and it works quite quickly every time. I just don't remember my son being like this but of course she is different! I think I will keep trying to put her down awake but if she cries I will pick her up and rock her. We have nice cuddles and the crying isn't too bad and at least I know she is with me so safe and nothing is wrong.

I still feed/cuddle my daughter to sleep she needs that bonding time with me after I have been at work all day and I do not worry about it she will soon not want to (my son stopped at 6 months) but whilst she does I will :shrug:

As long as both she and I are happy then that is all that matters

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->