Self Weaning from Breastfeeding

BunMum

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have a 12 month old little boy - he loves his milk but also has a very healthy appetite for solids. I work 3 days so feed him morning and night when I work and on demand the rest of the time but its usually a quick feed just before his naps when I'm at home, then morning and night (and during the night)!!

I'm reluctant to wean him completely from his milk at the moment as its an important time for us when I get back from work to reconnect and have some cuddle time. Since I've been back at work (only 4 weeks) he has turned into a booby monster, he grabs at my top and tries to latch onto my skin. I was hoping he'd self wean over the next year or so but I'm actually thinking he's getting more attached to the idea of breastfeeding rather than wanting to wean.

Ollie is fed to sleep and sleeps in his cot the first part of the night. On the first waking I usually pat him until he goes back to sleep and the second waking he comes into our bed until morning. He has never slept through and I do wonder if its because he wakes for the feed and comfort.

My question is 2 parts really:
Did your toddler self wean and when did this happen. Did you do anything to encourage it?
Did your toddler begin sleeping better at night once their night feeds stopped? How did you adjust your bedtime routine to take out the final step of feeding to sleep?

Many thanks in advance.

All mine self weaned at around 12 months, once they discovered that milk came quicker from a cup! Greedy little horrors, all three! I didn't want to stop, but they just rejected me! However, they did all sleep through the night from 6 weeks, so never had that boob to sleep syndrome! I think they are all different - just go with the flow, if you're enjoying the closeness ;)

Thank you! I do enjoy the closeness and have no plans on stopping. I really don't want to have to make the decision to stop but also don't want to be feeding him when he's at school!!! Its good to know babies seem to know the right time for them and I'm hoping Ollie will do the same...

You're so lucky having good sleepers! :0)

I too had no plans to stop, but have in the last few days started a thread in 'breastfeeding' as Frances has self weaned at 13.5 months.
We (I!) had no intention of stopping and not working means she has boobie on call 24 hours a day, but she has just stopped of her own accord and although I'm ratehr sad, she really couldn't care less!!
As for sleeping through, this worried me too as she was still having a feed at bedtime and at about 6 (then sleeping until 9 ish) right up until she stopped.
She's had a rotten cold so although without boob for about a week, only the last two nights have been normal. All the others were disturbed by her coughing.

Anyway, first night she slept 7.30 until 8am, then the next night (last nigtht) woke at 7 ish, had a drink of water then slept until 9.

So no change really apart from seemingly sleeping a bit longer before requiring refreshment. Bit like grown ups really!

Bunmum, ur living my life! apart from me not working and Evan (my LO) doesn't fall asleep on the boob, but everything else is the same. I'm not too bothered about him weaning himself as were trying again so hope the pregnancy milk will make him stop, if not we'll deal with it then. I want a full nights sleep! He slept through he last 2nights and it was AMAZING! He's back to normal now and I'm aching and shattered again! Were being vigilant and making sure he goes back to bed each time now which takes a bit longer bit worth it for the better sleep early morning! Hope u get some good advice! I think ur little man has only more attachedcos ur bak at work, once he settles in think it'll slow down and I'm sure he'll wean this year for u! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->