Selfish to cut back on Christmas because we are expecting?

Maybe instead of cutting back people that you buy for, you could start a new tradition.

With my husband's family we all pick a name out of a hat and only buy for that one person. It saves lots of money and you can really put a lot of thought into the gift. We keep it a secret and it is fun to try and figure out who gave you a gift.

With my family we have started only exchanging Xmas ornaments with each other. Ornaments are really cheap and fun to pick out or make by hand. I love building my collection of ornaments that we got as gifts, they mean so much more than the random bulk ones that we got to fill the tree at first.

Over the years our family have cut down on buying presents as there's nothing we really need and end up asking for things for the sake of it

How about arranging a secret Santa ? So everyone would by 1 present of a reasonable cost, would be cheaper than 15 odd presents ?

larkspurs comment is -i'm sorry- bullshit. A lot of people are very tight on money and they manage well. A baby is not only meant for rich people. Anyway it's not selfish to cut back on christmas gifts, your baby comes first and if you need to money DO save on it.. I'd send a card and maybe a tiny gift. People shouldnt judge on how expensive or big gifts are. If your family does care a lot about gifts maybe explain to them befor echristmas that you do not want to receive a gift because you arent able to spend much money this month either...?

larkspurs comment is -i'm sorry- bullshit. A lot of people are very tight on money and they manage well. A baby is not only meant for rich people.

LOL, calm down sweetie, nowhere did I say that babies are only meant for rich people. :dohh:

I don't think it's selfish, I have a tiny family so not many to buy for anyway I know friends who have given out framed pictures of family, bump, baby etc, cheap and personal :) x

I dont think that is selfish at all, and people should understand your need to cut back this year and save for your own growing family.

Edit to add: I do think the first year is a VERY expensive year - all the new one-time major things you have to buy (crib swing stroller carseat etc) plus if you end up formula feeding, and also the time off from work you have to take for maternity leave can all add up. Subsequent years may come with other things you need to buy but the first year was definitely more expensive than say the 2nd and 3rd for my son. Of course other major things come up that you have to buy but you learn to budget better and it all evens out in the end.

I'll be making fudge and bagging it up for people. If they don't like it tough!

My parents lost a LOT of money in the real estate crash. They went from kind of over-doing Christmas to not really being able to do it at all. They just told us that and we were all fine with it.
My mom is fabulous in times of trouble and created the new tradition of the gift exchange game. Now it's one of the things we all look forward to for Christmas.
We all buy one present for $10 to play the game with. Couples can do one per person or one per couple, depending on their budget.

If people give gifts aside from that, then each family decides what they can do. No one is upset when so-and-so doesn't give them a present. Frankly, we're all just glad not to be over-run with the crazy stuff my mom always bought!:dohh:

I'll be making fudge and bagging it up for people. If they don't like it tough!

exactly. the spirit of Christmas is in the giving, and i think it's a little ridiculous that people come to expect some sort of fabulous gift. If you get something, great! if not, don't whine, because the point of christmas is to give and not get.

We had to do this when DS2 was born and our extended family were fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->