Selling on clothes that have been given to you....

I really don't care what someone does with their own stuff, even if it's something I gave them. Once it's theirs, they can do as they please with it.

This wouldn't upset me. When I pass things on I'm glad to have them out of the house. The recipient is doing me as much a favor by taking them as I am by giving the stuff away. What they do with it is up to them. I'd have no hard feelings.

One funny story though, we gave a framed backpack carrier to some friends when our middle DD grew out of it. 3 years later when I was pregnant with our 3rd my OH found it at a random yard sale, bought it back for $5. We knew it was ours because there were stickers on it.

$5 for 3 years storage - Bargain!!

OK. I think it's appallingly rude to give someone something, be it brand new or used, and expect to have any control over the gift afterwards - to expect them to return it, donate it, sell it (and maybe even give you half the money or what?), ask you if you have any use for it, or even just use it. Unless you specifically say something like, "Here, have this bag of baby clothes that my kid has grown out of, but I'd like to have them back when you've finished with them because blah blah blah" or "Have these - please donate them once you no longer have any use for them" or "Here's x amount of money's worth of stuff as a present, but I expect you to check with me before you get rid of it in whatever way to make sure I approve", you really shouldn't expect to have any control over it.

I really don't see why it would make a difference if stuff was brand new or second hand, if she's used it or not. Surely it's up to the current owner if they want to dress their kid in something they were given? If they want to use the oresent or not?

If you give someone a subscription to a magazine, do you expect them to carry on subscribing to it and read it cover to cover even if they don't like it, to ask you if you would like old copies before they chuck/recycle/donate/sell/burn them, or to keep them forever?

I understand where you're coming from - if someone gave me a big amount of baby items for free I would appreciate the kind gesture and probably want to do the same thing with it in the hope someone will appreciate it just as much. I would probably give to a womans shelter or similar but I wouldn't be hugely irritated if they didn't do it, maybe they are putting it towards something new for their child. Unfortunately not everyone sees things in the same way. IMO it's no big deal. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->