Separation anxiety already?!

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
Josh has just turned 8 weeks and seems to have a bit of separation anxiety, when I leave the room he's into he cries ! He constantly want to be with me !

Is it too soon for separation anxiety? I've heard it's around 6month or so.

I've heard that babies bond the most with the person they are with the most during the day. Josh might be very attached already. Erica is quite clingy to me also. Last weekend I went to a concert with my mom for her birthday, and Erica stayed home. The next 2 days she would not let me put her down without screaming. However, if he is only crying because he wants you right next to him or to hold him the whole time, you might want to try and let him cry it out. I know its hard but he knows that he can cry and you come running. Erica has started fake crying to get our attention.

Colton does sometimes. I left him with my mom once and she said he screamed for the last hour of the 2-3 hours I was gone. As soon as I got home and got him he was fine. Most of the time though he will be really good-play in the floor, etc-while I am gone; then as soon as he hears me/sees me he starts screaming and crying.
I agree with BurtonBaby.. it would probably be best to let him cry it out now; so it doesn't get to be worse. I know it's hard-thats why Colton is spoiled, but I lay him in the floor at least once a day now and just let him cry for 10-15 minutes.

There is good recent research to suggest that infants actually have a 'fourth trimester' of development. Their brains aren't completely developed by birth and that fourth trimester in the world helps 'finish off' the major development of it - though it continues to develop until their 2 and throughout life.

Their bodies are 'finishing off too'... their digestive system, respiratory system and circulatory system is finalizing growth in that last (4th) trimester.

A baby is unable to 'manipulate' as a toddler would, or even as an older infant (say 9 mo) might. All they are doing is responding to a stimulous. Following a pattern of reaction. IE pavlov's dog. Ring a bell, give dog treat over and over again. Then ring bell, no treat, but dog still salivates.

You and he are establishing a pattern of care and love. His cries communicate a certain feeling to you, and you respond by offering food, diaper change, or just hugs. He needs to feel confident in that pattern. He needs to know when he cries, that will follow a certain response from you. Consistancy is EVERYTHING with babies.

He probably is having seperation anxiety. Just think when he was inside you it was 24/7... If you held him constantly or near constantly for 12 hours a day that's still only HALF of what he was getting inside you. Does that mean you need to be johnny on the spot for every beck and call? No, but make sure you are establishing a good and caring consistant response to his communications with you. Sometimes, older infants cry simply because the pattern has changed and they don't seem to know what to do!

:baby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->