* September Stars 2014 * 41 babies born!

to the uk mommies, i wonder if you can help me..
i have my first GP appointment tomorrow.
do you think he/she is going to test or confirm my hcg levels /pregnancy at all or will i be transfered to a midwife? whats the usual procedure?

also..when will the first ultrasound take place? i heard it could be as late as 10-12 weeks, is that correct? that seems really late. im originally from germany and over there, women get their pregnancies confirmed (via blood or pregnancy test) and also get there ultrasound right away, but usually around 6-8 weeks.
GPs don't usually see you unless there is another issue (for me I was on some non-baby safe medications), my first pregnancy they literally just said on the phone to call the midwife, no point in a gp seeing me. The second one they did do a urine test to confirm pregnancy, but that was due to being on 2 forms of contraception and having had an internal ultrasound 7 days earlier when I was in hospital with ovary problems. They don't do blood tests for pregnancy here. You'll usually first see the midwife at about 8 weeks, then the first ultrasound is at 12 weeks (mine is at nearly 13) so they can do the nuchal fold scan then. The attitude is there is no benefit to an earlier scan, it gives you reassurance but actually MMCs are really rare, accounting for only around 1% of miscarriages (according to the sonographer) so assume all is well without significant bleeding.

Losing hope. I got my HcG levels back from Friday's blood test. They only went up to 750. A week earlier they were 442. My progesterone which initially was 7, went up to 91 thanks to pills. I have also been spotting for 8 days. I have been asked to take another blood test, but the doctor seems to be preparing me for the worst. I miscarried last year. It took us 11 months to get pregnant again. I was so excited and hopeful and then now the odds just aren't in this baby's favor. i believe in miracles, but it looks like a miracle is what I'm going to need at this point.

Keeping everything I have crossed for you.

Very sadly, I will be leaving this group. Had chemical today. :( Happy and healthy 9 months to all of you and hope to see you again soon!

Very sorry to hear that chippyslady. Hope you're back with your forever baby very soon.

Rough night here, DD has a cold and the cough kept her awake, then when she did go to sleep it woke her up and made her sick. More herself today but a quiet day in the warm is due I think.

I did go for my first acupuncture appointment yesterday, which was great, I felt much calmer afterwards and my blood pressure had come down significantly, which is what matters most.

Great news and good luck with your scan jokerette !:)

Let me know when you all get your 12 week scan dates and I will add them to the first page :) x

Oh no Chippyslady :( My due date buddy... I send a million hugs your way. :hugs:

i saw my doctor yesterday and see my midwife for the first time on feb.4th, when im 7w1d.
the doctor talked about how she'll do a bloodtest, ask about my health, weigh and measure me and do scans.
just being happy about the news i didnt ask what scans he was talking about. im wondering now, is it possible that they might do an ultrasound or check for a heartbeat? the midwife is at our local health clinic/centre.
so, does anyone know what the procedure is (UK)?

bananabump - Could you please add me. I'm due on the 19th. Thanks!

so sorry to hear that, chippyslady :hugs:

bananabump, my scan is on the 5th march. I'll be 12+5 then :)

loveandterror, I can't imagine that they would do a scan at that appointment. The way things have been done for me, although in the uk, is very different to how others will have had things done, due to the fact that I went through so much fertility treatment, but I was told that typically you see your midwife around 8w, and a dating scan at about 12, unless there is reason to do one earlier than that. Maybe they meant sort out your dating scan, if you haven't received a date for one in the post by that point? :shrug:

i saw my doctor yesterday and see my midwife for the first time on feb.4th, when im 7w1d.
the doctor talked about how she'll do a bloodtest, ask about my health, weigh and measure me and do scans.
just being happy about the news i didnt ask what scans he was talking about. im wondering now, is it possible that they might do an ultrasound or check for a heartbeat? the midwife is at our local health clinic/centre.
so, does anyone know what the procedure is (UK)?

It'll be a booking in appointment with the midwife and she will ask you lots of questions and get your green pregnancy notes filled in. Then she'll take your blood, weigh and measure you. She then gives the hospital your details and they will send an appointment out in the post for your 12 week ultrasound. It's uncommon to have one before then unless you've had pain, bleeding or have received fertility treatment. She probably won't try and find the heartbeat until your 16 week appointment as generally it can't be heard until 12 weeks+ anyway and even then it's difficult to find because the baby is so tiny.

Hope that helps :) xx

So sorry chippyslady :(

My 12 weeks can is March 7th and I'll be 11+5 by then x

it's so strange to hear how things are done in the uk. I'm in the states so we do things much differently. each doctor does things a little differently but most operate in generally the same way. some have ultrasound machines in their offices others will send you to a separate location to have your ultrasound done. we usually call the doc to tell them we are pregnant and they ask us to come in for a blood test to confirm. after that they schedule your first 8 week appt. and from there they send you to get your ultrasound. with my doctor I've actually been a few times already . my doc actually doesn't require a blood test to confirm so I wasn't going to go in until 6-8 weeks for my initial visit. but I had some spotting at 3w5d so I called and they told me to come in the next day . they did a urine preg. test which was + and a pelvic exam. they were going to do an us but it would be too early to see anything . so they did bloodwork to check hcg levels and I had to come back 4 days later to make sure it was rising.luckily it is and I have no more spotting. he wants me to come in Friday for one more just to be sure. I also scheduled my u/s for feb.7th when I will be 7weeks. so it seems we do everything in the states alot sooner than over there in the uk. and we don't typically do the midwife thing. this is all so interesting :) lol . what does it mean it sends y'all's appt out in the post? what is the post? like the paper ? haha I'm so confused!

it's so strange to hear how things are done in the uk. I'm in the states so we do things much differently. each doctor does things a little differently but most operate in generally the same way. some have ultrasound machines in their offices others will send you to a separate location to have your ultrasound done. we usually call the doc to tell them we are pregnant and they ask us to come in for a blood test to confirm. after that they schedule your first 8 week appt. and from there they send you to get your ultrasound. with my doctor I've actually been a few times already . my doc actually doesn't require a blood test to confirm so I wasn't going to go in until 6-8 weeks for my initial visit. but I had some spotting at 3w5d so I called and they told me to come in the next day . they did a urine preg. test which was + and a pelvic exam. they were going to do an us but it would be too early to see anything . so they did bloodwork to check hcg levels and I had to come back 4 days later to make sure it was rising.luckily it is and I have no more spotting. he wants me to come in Friday for one more just to be sure. I also scheduled my u/s for feb.7th when I will be 7weeks. so it seems we do everything in the states alot sooner than over there in the uk. and we don't typically do the midwife thing. this is all so interesting :) lol . what does it mean it sends y'all's appt out in the post? what is the post? like the paper ? haha I'm so confused!

You receive a letter in the mail, with a date for your 12w scan :)

It's weird how different things are. I guess that's the difference between having private insurance and the nhs!!

Yeh it's definitely because you have to pay over there but ours is free so they try and get away with doing as little as they can! Haha I suppose we can't complain though. Like I've had my first midwife appt and been given my green pregnancy notes to confirm I'm pregnant and also a maternity exemption card so that I don't have to pay for Doctors prescriptions or glasses etc yet I could just be lying that I'm pregnant because I haven't had a scan and my urine/blood hasn't been tested yet! Crazy really lol x

Evening all, how are we feeling?

I'm back to work tomorrow so it'll be an early night for me I think!

I think it's fun to learn how things are done in different countries. Even just the differences in doctors in the US can be a lot. I'm in the US using a midwife. My first appointment won't be until 10 weeks unless there is a problem. They'll probably try to find a heartbeat, they did at 8 weeks last time. So hoping they'll be able to by 10 since I won't be getting a 12 week scan. I am so excited to have all the appointments and birth in the same year!! It'll be great to have all the charges adding up the deductible for the birth. We have a high deductible plan, so it'll be great to have it spread out.

We have free health care in Canada as well, by it depends on how your pregnancy is going, and on your doctor. For us, nothing is sent in the mail, requisitions are either given to you in person or faxed to the place you need to be. Because I denied the NT scan first, I was booked in at 12 weeks for my first appointment, but because I am going in on Monday to Chang my mind on that, I will probably be moved sooner.

With my son I had spotting so had two ultrasounds before 10 weeks and another for the NT. Very different.

I had my booking in appointment and have my scan booked for the 13th of February :)

It's different in different parts of the UK/different GPs, my GP got me to do a pregnancy test in the surgery to confirm and the midwife books your scan during the booking in appointment so you get a date there and then. Our notes are white here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->