*~*~*September Sweetpeas 2013 - 120 preggos - 21 Babies Born So Far*~*~*

weird...I guess they do the test differently depending on where you are.

Hi guys do you mind if i join.

I am due the 16th-21st of September depending on who you talked to. I am measuring three weeks ahead which is the same on my last two pregnancies, polyhydraminos. I have two girls of 3 and 1.

I have my glucose tolerance test on Friday at 8am. I had it on the other two and i don't mind it. It just takes so long. I have to bring my 3 year old with me.

I have never done this test and I'm on my 3rd baby. My midwife (who did not care for me in my other pregnancies) and I talked about it this time and said I could do it if I wanted but that she didn't see a need.

How do they determine who should do it?

Yea mines similar fast the night before blood tests soon as go in, the drink after so long urine test and bloods then another hour or so more blood and tests then cross the road and order something yummy from McDonald's lol I didn't realise you had to drink so much I thought it wa a shot of sweet syrup stuff

I have had polyhydraminos on my last two pregnancies and also i always measure ahead. I have had two premature babies but they were both good weights. No one mentioned it to me this time, i just got an appointment in the post for it. I am tempted to skip it seen as the last two times it came back fine but i better not.

Our test is arrive at 8am and get bloods. Drink lucozade after those bloods. Wait half an hour more blood and more drink. Wait another half hour more bloods and more drink. Another half hour more bloods and more drink and 30 minutes later the last lot of bloods.

I love lucozade so it's all good lol

Yes lucozade where i am. It is the 1l bottle with a bit not drank out of it by the end. We have to bring the lucoazde with us. I'm in Ireland.

Ah I didn't no it was Lucozade I thought it was a sweet syrup kinda drink hmm might not be so bad then as I like lucozade aswell lol
I'm up in Northern Ireland :)

If it was something vile there is no way i'd be going back a third time for the test. I can't stomach any medicine you have to drink so lucozade suits me just fine lol. There were some people there that had a terrible time trying to drink so much of it while i was happy to gulp it all back.

There's always a long wait at the hospital I'm at so dreading going so early to be stay around for hours with an emty stomach and being pricked with needles, oh the joys!

I'm surprised the test they make you guys do is so involved. I was in and out in an hour. I was able to eat breakfast normally and gulped the juice back in 10 seconds...guess everywhere it different.

I am only nervous about my glucose test because I am getting my rhogam shot at the same appointment and I am paranoid that if I don't drink enoigh water ill pass out from getting a shot in my butt muscle and if I drink too much water it will mess up my glucose test. Bleh

Ill also be reinstalling candy crush saga to survive the 2 hours of waiting. They are keeping me longer because I am a shot reactor

It's done differently in different places. Everyone should follow the instructions given on not fasting or fasting because it's likely that the lab values differ and will change with how the test is performed.
When i lived in central pennsylvania they had everyone get tested at 16 weeks and again at 28 weeks. (mostly bc there is a high rate of diabetes there). Anyways, they made me fast for 12 hours before hand. The drink was around 10oz. I only had to do the one hour since i passed. If i would have failed i would have had to do the 3 hour.
Then we relocated to coastal New Hampshire where i went to an OBGYN/CNM office for the rest of my pregnancy with DS1. I did the 1 hour test at 28 weeks. Same deal as the other place (12 hours of fasting, 10oz of drink, 1 hour test).
Then, for DS2 i went with HB MWs. I was offered the test but decided since i had a meter and knew how to check sugars, i just did that a few times. I felt comfortable with that. I had the option to do the GD test (the 1 hour, but declined).
With this baby I am going with those same HB MWs but this time i am going to test. It was offered. Same deal as last time and i decided to take it. I do not have to fast, at all. In fact the MWs said eat how you normally would and dont avoid certain foods due to sugar (that you would typically eat) bc that can give off a false positive. So eat just as normal. Dont fast, dont avoid foods you generally eat (but also dont binge on sweets). Drink the 10oz thing and do the one hour in their (out of hospital) birth center. So even though we still live in coastal New Hampshire, it's just different bc it's a different practice. As well im sure it has a lot to do with the numbers in the lab, when they figure the results which is why it's so very important to do exactly how you are told in reguards to fasting or eating normally etc.

RE: drinking water. It's actually encouraged. If you dont have enough water in your system, THAT is what can give a false positive. Drinking water is always encouraged bc that gives a more truthful result and it makes getting the blood draw easier (more water = better blood volume). Just remember your body is made up 75% of water, so drinking lots of water gives a better picture. Drink to thirst.

Has anyone had the rhogam shot? If so do you remember how many ccs it was and how big the needle was? My shot is in 3 weeks and I am starting to freak myself out about it. Really hate shots.

Has anyone had the rhogam shot? If so do you remember how many ccs it was and how big the needle was? My shot is in 3 weeks and I am starting to freak myself out about it. Really hate shots.

I havn't personally had it but i know mamas that have and it's really not a big deal. Dont work yourself up by thinking about needle size and what not. I had quite a few friends that have to get it and they are all babys about needles but after they got it they said it really wasn't a big deal at all and they really stressed themselves out more than necessary. you'll be fine :hugs: my udnerstanding is that its not much different than a vaccine type shot so it shouldnt be big or anythign like that. It only takes a second and its done. :hugs:

Is that the shot you need if you're RH Negative? I'm A RH Pos

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->