*~*~*September Sweetpeas 2013 - 120 preggos - 21 Babies Born So Far*~*~*

I just tried to negotiate for more maternity leave at the job I'm planning to start in August. It was an epic failure. I asked for an adjusted start date (January instead of August) to which I got a flat out no. I then tried to get 8 weeks instead of the 6 they were planning to give me. My boss's initial response was, "I know 6 weeks sounds like not that much time at home with a newborn but it's a long time at the center.. and 8 weeks just sounds like an eternity." She asked if I would split the difference and take 7 weeks. I offered to work one day the 7th week and 1-2 days the 8th week and then start back full-time the 9th week. That's what we ended up deciding to go with. (I explain a lot more in my pregnancy journal if you are interested in any details of this debacle).

I'm really disappointed and realizing how much I wanted that January start date. And then I couldn't even get a full 8 weeks. Only silver lining is I found out the 6 weeks maternity leave they are giving me is paid (I thought it was unpaid). The days I'll take the two weeks after that will either come out of sick/vacation leave or be unpaid. Still.. I'm just upset about the whole thing.. :cry:

I just tried to negotiate for more maternity leave at the job I'm planning to start in August. It was an epic failure. I asked for an adjusted start date (January instead of August) to which I got a flat out no. I then tried to get 8 weeks instead of the 6 they were planning to give me. My boss's initial response was, "I know 6 weeks sounds like not that much time at home with a newborn but it's a long time at the center.. and 8 weeks just sounds like an eternity." She asked if I would split the difference and take 7 weeks. I offered to work one day the 7th week and 1-2 days the 8th week and then start back full-time the 9th week. That's what we ended up deciding to go with. (I explain a lot more in my pregnancy journal if you are interested in any details of this debacle).

I'm really disappointed and realizing how much I wanted that January start date. And then I couldn't even get a full 8 weeks. Only silver lining is I found out the 6 weeks maternity leave they are giving me is paid (I thought it was unpaid). The days I'll take the two weeks after that will either come out of sick/vacation leave or be unpaid. Still.. I'm just upset about the whole thing.. :cry:

Something doesn't sound right about this!

Something doesn't sound right about this!

I had my Glucose Tolerance test today. It was done different to the last times. It was go in and get bloods. Drink the lucozade. Wait an hour. More bloods. Wait an hour, more bloods. Go home. God it is very very boring. Hopefully i pass.

I am due the 16th September and do not know the gender.

I'm really disappointed and realizing how much I wanted that January start date. And then I couldn't even get a full 8 weeks. Only silver lining is I found out the 6 weeks maternity leave they are giving me is paid (I thought it was unpaid).
The days I'll take the two weeks after that will either come out of sick/vacation leave or be unpaid. Still.. I'm just upset about the whole thing.. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Hey I'm a PRN worker "as needed" so I get no paid leave time. However, in the US the family medical leave act allows you to take off 12 weeks. So, if you wanted to take six paid weeks then six unpaid weeks you have the right to it. There's only 12 weeks per year you can use. I'm not sure if your required to have been at you job for a specific amount of time prior. I don't think there is a restriction on it though. Look into it, they would be unable to prevent you from taking the time and can not punish you. Hope it helps:thumbup:

Hey I'm a PRN worker "as needed" so I get no paid leave time. However, in the US the family medical leave act allows you to take off 12 weeks. So, if you wanted to take six paid weeks then six unpaid weeks you have the right to it. There's only 12 weeks per year you can use. I'm not sure if your required to have been at you job for a specific amount of time prior. I don't think there is a restriction on it though. Look into it, they would be unable to prevent you from taking the time and can not punish you. Hope it helps:thumbup:

FMLA does have restrictions on how long you've been at a job. You have to have to worked there for at least 12 months and put in so many hours to be eligible. Plus the company has to have more than 50 employees within a 75 mile radius. I didn't not qualify because of that last one. They have a good number of restrictions.

It's spelled out here: FMLA Regulations

Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

:hugs: I'm sorry you didn't get the date you wanted!

Wow im glad were in the uk I couldnt go back to work 6 weeks after giving birth!

So today is exactly 3 months til my due date!!! Arghhhh!!! I feel the need to get stuff sorted!!

I'm feeling better today about the whole leave thing. I guess I just felt really powerless and put down after my convo with my boss. I'm not a terribly assertive person so I had to really psych myself up for it and then I felt like basically nothing changed (though at least I asked and did get a couple more half weeks which is better than what I had). Last night I talked it through with DH and we were able to start planning some things now since we have a better idea of my start date and when I might be on leave (depending on when she decides to come). I also had some ice cream and chocolate which always helps. :)

Something else that was fun last night, my DH got to feel her kick for about an hour straight. Typically he's gotten to feel a kick here and there but it's been getting easier to feel her move all around lately. He kept laughing about her movements and how strong she is. He also apologized several times about me getting beat up by her. He hasn't shown a lot of interest in her movement before so it made me happy how involved he was last night! :thumbup:

Kiss08-I feel your pain and I am sorry things went so-so. I agree, 6 weeks seems like nothing. DH and I have been wrestling with me taking 1 week vacation, and 1 week unpaid to extend my leave. Seems very cruel to expect only 6 weeks at home with an infant. 1) you aren't fully recovered at that point 2) your baby is still very much an infant!!! 3) you will have bills to pay, esp. due to the baby! I wonder if things would be different in the US if men had the babies? In many respects men often seem to me to be very wimpy.. ;-) lol!! In the meantime, yes, we get paid (for 6 weeks, not working) which is great and cannot be overlooked.:hugs:

I have decided im going to take one unpaid day per week so that we arent missing a paycheck in our house, but it will make the check I get smallet. Good news is ill have to use a week less if sick and vacation days to continue saving them up for when I get pregnant with number two :)

Just got back from registering. I am sure we didn't get everything but whatever! Whew, I am tired!! DH was a good sport but he would try to freak me out by registering haphazardly with that gun...lol! Naptime?? :sleep:

Insomnia has hit me tonight! 12.41am and still up! Tomorrow morning's usual 7am wake up call isn't going to be pretty. Oh wait, it's not tomorrow it's today now :dohh::haha:

Insomnia has hit me tonight! 12.41am and still up! Tomorrow morning's usual 7am wake up call isn't going to be pretty. Oh wait, it's not tomorrow it's today now :dohh::haha:

Yeah me too last night! Didn't help that a girl was ringing at the call box at the front door for like 3 hours. I don't think she got the hint that either there was no one home or they didn't want her in the building. I almost called the cops on her because it was starting to get annoying.

Really makes me appreciate living in Canada and getting a year off....It would be so tough to go back after 6 weeks :hugs:

Well sorry I wasn't much help:nope: I'm glad your feeling better about the extra time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->