*~*~*September Sweetpeas 2013 - 120 preggos - 21 Babies Born So Far*~*~*

My twin sisters eldest boy was breech right up until the day he was born and the little monkey turned nd was born after a 24hour labour :O

well for me, it would involve changing care providers and birth setting/type entirely. Bc of HB laws here, i can't just wait until labor, for LO to turn. And if LO is still that way at 38 weeks then it will have to be scheduled CS bc of the cord prolapse risk (my water always breaks before hand and it broke with DS2 at 38+2)...hopefully though she will flip way before that though

Wow--- I didn't realize there were homebirth laws? haha

ohhh yes...in some states its actually illegal for a MW to attend a HB...
many many laws indeed. in my state, the HB MWs have to decide which they want to be liscenced in- VBACs or Breech birth. For obvious reasons, my MWs chose VBACs so if they were to ever *knowingly* assist a breech birth it would be illegal for both the MW and the client.
My LO is sideways (transverse), not breech, but you get the point...there are many laws that dictate HB MWs...its really quite sad IMO...a women should have the right to choose- her body-her baby-her birth, but thats an enitrely other can of worms that i dont wish to open

I haven't posted in awhile! Life has been so busy - we moved May 15th and our new home is undergoing a bunch of construction through mid July. I will be happy when this is all over and done with.

Guppy, I give you major props for doing the homebirth. I just watched "The Business of Being Born", which you can stream on netflix, and it is a documentary about homebirths and midwifery versus standard hospital and obgyn care. I have to say that I found it really interesting. Although I don't think that I will go that route for my first, it definitely presented a vantage point I had not fully considered yet.

Also, wondering if anyone has read any good baby books? Yesterday I finished Baby Rules for Baby: How to raise a smart and happy child from zero to five, and I absolutely loved it! It's based on research, but is a very easy and interesting read and provides a lot of food for thought regarding parenting practices and genetic predispositions. I'm deep into Babywise, which was highly recommended by friends. It's not an attachment parenting perspective, and seems to be more middle of the road. Have others read this one? Any other suggestions?

Guppy-- I've been considering home water birth for our next baby (I have to havea hospital birth for the surro-twins this time), and I just assumed you got the midwife and that was that...

So odd to me that their are home birthing laws. I can see if a midwife personally chooses to only do certain types of birth... but still... very weird.

What would happen if baby came very quickly and breech - no time to get to hospital? I dont get how their can be laws with something thats sometimes out of peoples control? X

Gwen- that's a great movie about the system for sure. You can also watch 'Born in America' (I think that's the name) very good too

Phantom- yeah it's not something u would expect but back in the day the OBs took over in America and really displaced the HB MWs. It's a sad state if affairs. Ppl don't realize how underground HBing is in most areas util they find themselves wanting one. Some places are more lax, others are very extreme. To the point of even sending women to jail or children and youth taking their babies. It's a horrible reality in some states.

Baby devil- that's why I stated the *knowingly* part (before labor starts) If it truly happened the way u stated that different. They do have to attempt an emergency trip to the hospital in that case tho (unless the baby is crowning). Laws are harsh bc here in America there is a large stigma with HBing. There are not very many practicing HB MWs in most areas bc as u can tell from such rediculous laws, it makes it really hard for MWs to not get into trouble.

HB's and water HB's are really popular in the UK and NI the past few years now, its not something id be interested in doing tbh but thats just me id rather be in a hospital environment

It's just sad in the States bc most women really have to fight to have a HB if they want one. If it is even legal in their state then most insurance refuse to cover it which means needing to find thousands if dollars to oay for it. and then there is the issue of actually being close enough to a MW. There are not very many practicing so sometimes bc of a lack of resources its not even an option. Less than 1% of all births in the US occur outside of the hospital. I think women In general prefer the hospital but that's still a very very small portion. I personally think it would be higher if there were more access to that option. It's great that if someone wants a hospital birth they can have it but its really unfortunate that if someone wants a HB there is so much stacked up against it that it doesn't get to happen too often. Sometimes it almost doesn't even seem like a women has the right to choose bc of all of this

Ahh I see! Sounds harsh if you wanted a homebirth - its not for me I need the reassurance of being in a hospital but know lots of ppl whohave had a homebirth x

I know HBs are a lot more well known in the UK but they told me I'm not "allowed" one and they would basically make it very difficult or deny me any help if I wanted to. (They really don't like them in my hospital) But then my consultant is a cow!! Scan and consultant appointment tomorrow, excited about seeing baby (trying not to peek between his/her legs) but then waiting around for hours to see her and she insults me for 2 mins I am not looking forward to! Can feel my BP rising as I think about it, and I have low BP lol xxx

Illinois is really homebirth-unfriendly. No birthing centers in the state, either (but one was recently announced). CPMs are not legal here, and most CNMs and doctors will not attend homebirths because of the increase in costs to their malpractice insurance. I live in the suburbs north of Chicago, and we have only one CNM servicing the area who does homebirths. She is reportedly very busy.

I find it really screwed up that "my baby, my body, my choice" apparently only applies if you want to terminate a pregnancy. If you want to keep it, suddenly the law is like, "well, in that case, you have to do whatever the paternalistic arm of medicine tells you to do. No choice for you!"

What would happen if baby came very quickly and breech - no time to get to hospital? I dont get how their can be laws with something thats sometimes out of peoples control? X

Here in New Zealand most clinicians, midwifes and doctors wouldnt attempt a breech vaginal birth, thats why they monitor so closely towards the end and try to turn the baby around, if it is breech by 36 weeks they talk about booking a c-section as they dont want labour to start when a baby is in breech as its dangerous. So much can go wrong, only experienced people can deliver breech babies and even then it carries risks.

I think little guy turned or something last night because I feel a heck of a lot more pressure down low, even though I'm still feeling him kick up by my ribs on the right side.

Had to get the TDaP again despite just having it in November. It knocked me out so I barely have the energy to keep my eyes open this evening. Not looking forward to my arm rendering itself useless tomorrow. Man, I hate this vaccine...

what? why in the world did you have to get it again? that doesn't sound like fun.

She wanted me to get it now to pass on the antibodies to the baby. I have no idea why she had me get it in November though. I went to a preconception appt with her then and so obviously she knew I was TTC. I asked if there was anything I should be doing to prepare to conceive and she said get the flu shot and the TDaP. Makes no sense to me!

yeah..that is a little backwards..one would think bc you got pregnant so soon after the first round that you would have still had antibodies in your system :shrug:...but that is weird!

I was just researching it online and the CDC just came out with new guidelines in February 2013 that said moms should get the TDaP in every pregnancy during the third trimester irrespective of when she last received the shot. Apparently if you get it just before getting pregnant or in early pregnancy, the baby does not receive the antibodies but they will when you get it during third tri. So I guess I just got caught between the old recommendations and the new ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->