• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*~*~*September Sweetpeas 2013 Parenting Thread*~*~*

oh and i also wanted to mention, each mom-baby couple has a different "rhythm". Some moms/babies only nurse every 4-5 hours. Some have to nurse every 1.5-2hours. And yet all will probably have days that nurse more or less often. Each mother-baby unit has their own little cycle, so what is normal for one "couple" may not be for you...but again, feeding on demand.

I'm starting to wonder if my breast milk has no substance to it. He'll feed for 45min and is panicky hungry 30 min later. It's like he's sucking, but he's not taking enough. I have lots of milk now so that's not the problem anymore.

We started formula feeding at night so I can get some sleep. I can't sleep during the day no matter how dark I can get the room so the whole 'sleep when the baby sleeps' thing doesn't work for me. My husband works 2 jobs (one full time and a second twice a week designing a paintball/laser tag field) so if I don't do the house work it doesn't get done. I'm finally getting my EI payments and I can start reffing (Ringette) in a month.

I might start pumping so at least I know he's getting enough.

I'm starting to wonder if my breast milk has no substance to it. He'll feed for 45min and is panicky hungry 30 min later. It's like he's sucking, but he's not taking enough. I have lots of milk now so that's not the problem anymore.

this is very normal newborn behavior :hugs: Is he gaining weight? Getting 6-8 wet diapers? If so, fear not. Your milk IS good enough for your baby.:hugs: it was specifically designed for him and will continue to evolve to meet his changing needs.

Also, if he is in a growth spurt (which there is one right around now :winkwink:) that could also be why he is nursing so much or seeming unsettled. If you let him feed on demand (day and night) then your supply is going to be able to increase to meet his growing needs. But again, if this is growth spurt related (And it very likely is), then its even more normal that he would want to continue feeding or feed so soon after. Newborns feed very very often, and even more so during growth spurts. It doesn't mean that your milk is inadequate for him :nope: Plus babys dont ONLY nurse for nutrition :nope: the breast is where they find comfort and emotional development. It's not always about feeding, but they do have a sucking need and they find comfort there, so thats another reason breastfed newborns nurse so oftne.

I think a lot of FTMs are really caught off guard in regards to normal newborn, breastfeeding behavior. https://theleakyboob.com/2011/08/baby-explains-normal-newborn-behavior/

I might start pumping so at least I know he's getting enough.

i would DEF recommend pumping bc you are supplementing at night. Over time your supply will sort itself out and if you are nursing less, its going to signal your body to make less milk. Its imperative for the milk to get removed somehow (nursing, pumping, hand expressing, etc). If it doesn't get removed, your body will stop replacing it and that can lead to low supply. and you dont want that

be warned w pumping for purposes of measuring what he is getting tho, a lot of times the output is much less bc the pump is not as efficient w removal as a baby is. So it can make it seem like you arnt producing enough even if you are. Your real output could be much greater than what the pump suggest. I would rec. a pre/post feed weigh in for better accuracy.

if he is gaining weight normally (min of 4oz per week or 1lb per month) and getting the required wet/dirty diapers daily, he is getting plenty :flower:...newborn behavior can be tricky, but it def sounds normal...

Agreed with guppy!!! Nora had a growth spurt and wanted to nurse non stop.

One thing I do is just feed her from one breast at a time. And if she's still hungry after burping I out her back on the same one... That way she gets more hind milk which is more filling. :thumbup:

Can't find the other thread to say...

I also had my baby, a BOY :)

Maurice David Robert born 4/10/13 at 1.24pm, 8lb 9oz 21inch using G&A no stitches got to the hospital at 9cm and it all happened so quick.

dont know if i updated but Christopher arrived 16 days "overdue"

Ill join in here too, though the FB page is my preference, glad to see everyone here is doing well

Where is everyone. How's all the little ones? I also would like to know how to join fb

Me and Lily are getting along fine. We are exclusively BFing at the moment. Soon she will be on bottles of EBM as I go back to work on oct 29 (she'll be 6.5 weeks). Having some issues with our dog who keeps peeing on her stuff. Not sure how to handle that. He is certainly getting more jealous. Oh and one month checkup went great. She's nearly ten pounds already, up from 7 at birth!

How much mat leave time do you get? We must get spoiled up here because I don't go back till next August. 15 weeks mat leave and 35 weeks parental leave.

How much mat leave time do you get? We must get spoiled up here because I don't go back till next August. 15 weeks mat leave and 35 weeks parental leave.

Most American women only get about 6 weeks off and typically it's UNPAID, unless you are apart of that extremely small minority that gets paid, you get nothing. There is a law (Family Medical Leave Act - FMLA) that allowes women to take up to 12 weeks off without getting fired or losing health insurance and other benefits, but after 12 weeks you employer does not have to allow it. And again its almost always UNPAID. Basically, for the vast majority of working Americans it only really gurantees you dont lose your job/benefits for those 12 weeks (no protection after that). I have yet to meet a woman that got paid in (or at all)for the 6-12 weeks. Some take "sick leave" but i dont think employers typically give more than a couple weeks of that a year, so if they used "sick leave" they could get paid their normal wage, but most only get a few weeks or couple of days so really, most ladies cant afford to take off for mat leave. Some employers are nice and give pay for it but usually only for the 6 weeks but typically you dont get paid at all.
As far as i know the US is the only developed country in the world that 1) does not mandate paid mat leave and 2.) doesnt allow the mother to get a year off like all other developed countries....pretty twisted, eh?

:hugs:

That would be so tough having to go back to work after 6 weeks..... especially if breastfeeding.

Nora is doing wonderfully. She's such a little piggy!!! She was 7.5 lbs at one week old.... and at 5 weeks she was 11.7 lbs!! So she's been gaining about a pound a week, no big deal :lol:

How is everyone doing? This thread is awfully queit.
I just wanted to update, Lilah had her two month check up today. (I cannot believe she rounding the corner to two months old!). She weighed 10lbs & 12oz and was 22.5in long (Up 3lbs 8oz and 2.5 inches since birth). Baby girl is doing well. She was cooing and smiling the entire time. She's starting to become a chatty little thing and its so adorable. She is constantly smiling and typically pretty mellow. Now She does have the granny hour thing going on around 8 at night but otherwise she is such a doll. So sweet and content <3image.jpg

We aren't doing too bad, Leo is now just over 12lbs at 6 weeks old(was 8lb 12oz at birth) and he is usually quite a happy wee boy- full of smiles and coos as well.
Doctor is now concerned though that he may have reflux so we are trialling gaviscon to see if it makes a difference etc, especially since the past 3 days he wont sleep more than 30 minutes at a time during the day and spends most of it crying. Fingers crossed it gets better!

Hey Ladies!

Just thought I'd share a photo of Evan, He's 8w5d (2 months by dates) old today :)

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/anakerose/Nov12013_zps8259dc80.jpg

Here's my Lily at 7.5 weeks! She sleeps through the night about half the time. I'm back at work now. So far, Lily has been staying home with DH. Soon the grandmas with start helping out! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member