Setting up a business?

Emmy1987

Mummy to a princess!
Reaction score
So I love baking cakes, I'm starting to get there now with the decorating etc.

What do I need to set up a little cake business? There aren't any cake makers around here and I think it could do well with the option to open a coffee/cupcake shop as I've always had the dream to open a coffee shop

Anyhow to start with I'd like to do the odd cake for people but what legal things do I need to do? I know I need a food hygiene certificate but what level and where do I get one?

Just thought if I start now I may be ready in 10 years LMAO

First things first, contact your local council and/or environmental health dept to find out what certificates/inspections etc are required.:winkwink:

Then go for it!:thumbup:

Recession is a great time for start-ups, honestly!:flower:

You'll need environmental health to approve your kitchen for producing food for sale. It's best you do your food hygeine first. I think mine is level 2 but not sure that's necessary. You'll also need to register yourself as self emp with HMRC and get yourself some suitable insurance xx

Oh Christ what does my kitchen need?? Think I'll practice and get my food hygiene and everything before the kitchen thing as I'm in rented house and the kitchen is... old... and not in a nice quirky way...

As Kitty said, you can do your certificate at home but make sure you get the right one as there are two types retail and catering, you need a level 2 in order to sell cakes. Very good value mine came to £30 including VAT
As for your kitchen as long as your cupboards arent falling off the walls and your kitchen sides arent in terrible state you will be ok. They just want to make sure that your kitchen has enough space, is clean and workable.

You need to register as self employed and you might have to get permission from your landlord to use his space as a business and good insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->