Sex Offenders Register

M

Mrs Mayhem

So now sex offenders are to have the right to appeal about their names being on the register, here is the full article..

https://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Sex-Offenders-Are-To-Get-Right-To-Appeal-Against-Being-On-Sex-Register-For-Life/Article/201102315932225?lpos=UK_News_Top_Stories_Header_1&lid=ARTICLE_15932225_Sex_Offenders_Are_To_Get_Right_To_Appeal_Against_Being_On_Sex_Register_For_Life

What do you think??

See Im all for rehabilitation but sex offences are usually a product of deep psychological issues and as far as I know, no assurances are given that the psychological problems have been resolved IYKWIM. I can understand why they wouldn't want to be on the register for life, but I'm leaning more towards that. I think the risk is just too high.

I agree. I have worked with sex offenders in the past and the process of rehabilitation is very difficult and many have followed the plan but not actually ended up rehabilitated. I personally think that once on the register, you stay on it.

I think that they shouldn't be allowed to be taken off.
I think people can always change and better themselves, but I think if they've done something like that in the past that there's ALWAYS a chance that they could do it again. If I were sexually assaulted by someone, there's no chance I would EVER want them taken off of that list. I've never been sexually assaulted but can't imagine how horrible it would be, I wouldn't want it happening to someone else.

Riiiiight! This is my 3rd attempt at writing this today

I think everyone after a significant amount of time after their prosecution should have the right to appeal. But in the instance we arent talking about changing sentencing through a miscarriage of justice or anything. These people are guilty in the eyes of the law and by this time they have many options to appeal about their guilt or lack off.

If I was to say rack up a huge amount of debt then refuse to pay it I would be put on a list. A different kinda of list. If you are made bankrupt you are on a list for life too. Christ if you forget to pay a credit card one month you are on a list for a year.

Being on this list isnt the punishment. That is dealt with separately so yes they may have served their time they may have even reformed. (ill get onto that bit in a minute) This is mealy keeping their location known to the police and preventing them working with children and having SS involved if they have children of their own.

Now people who cause sexual abuse are not psychology sound. My oh was talking about his psychological instability which is depression. He is and always will be a depressive. Just because day to day month to month and even year to year he may be a normal functioning person. Doesnt mean that one day something could trigger him back into a beardy hermit convinced aliens were coming or something.

So what i am saying that these psychological instabilities will always be present in that person. However well they may be managed and however long they may have been managed. There could always be a trigger for that instability to come back and people need protecting from that

I think there maybe an odd one or two that maybe shouldn’t be on the register but surely they must understand that sometimes in life things happen or we do things which will make the rest of our lives difficult in some way. Like becoming bankrupt or committing fraud on insurance. Simple things stay with you for life and yes its regrettable but it is to protect other people and the public’s interests.

I hadn't actually thought of the other lists you go on, such as debt etc, thats a really good point!!

The most disturbing part of the article to me was the clip of the sex offender talking about it over a cup of coffee in such a blase way! Like they were discussing the weather

My OH watched something about medically defined 'psychos' and you can tell by the way they talk about the event they caused if they are sorry or not. Only a select few are geuinely sorry for what they done and it's by the way they talk they can tell.
Many are good actors and come across and sorry, but once asked to describe what ever they done the truth comes out. Genuinely sorry people will show flickers of emotion, strain in their voice etc. yet for most of these people they still tell it in the detatched way they always have proving that regardless of what they say, they still haven't changed.

I 99.9% agree with no one having their names removed from the list. However, some people are put on that list and branded for life yet shouldn't be. If a 14 year old or 15 year old girl accusses a boy of 16+ of sleeping with her, it's statutory rape and he is put on the list.
A girl of 15 years can willingly have sex with a boy of 18+ but he can be put on the list for those reasons too. Cases like this I feel unjust and those people don't deserve to be tarred with such a brush. They aren't monsters. Just consenting teenagers.

I think it should depend also on the crime.

A girl in a town near me was 18 and slept with a 15year old boy and got pregnant (they had been a couple for a year). Everything was ok till the baby was born when her and the dad seperated. His family reported her to the police and she is now on the sex offenders register.

If a man (or woman) is on the register for a horrific crime than no i don't think they should have their name removed. Especially if they are still a threat.

Mind you, if a person murders a child and has done his time and is then let out in the public, his name isn't on a list, he just gets on with life.

In my heart i think they should all be shot (personally) but in my head i can see the arguement to a degree... but they should still be on some sort of list to make sure they can NEVER get a job in a school and also if they are applying for a council house, they should NEVER be allowed near a school as that may just lead to too much temptation

I hope that all made sense x

I absolutely agree with the points made about young lads who are branded as sex offenders because they have had sex with their girlfriend who is younger.

Rubixcyoob - Previously I have worked with men who have committed sex crimes because of psychopathy and absolutely agree with your point.

IMO a sex offender loses their human rights after they commit such an inhumane crime. If a 35 year old man rapes a 3 year old child they should face the consequences of people knowing what they are, which is scum. Maybe that seems harsh and because I have a young child it makes me feel more strongly against it. But I don't think they should be taken off the register.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->