Share driveway hell-help and advice needed!

porkypig

Reaction score
We live in a semi-detached house and have a share driveway which we share with next door.Weve lived here for 4 years and the first couple of years were heaven, we never had a problem with it with our neighbour, but he sadly passed away and new people moved in. They frequently park down the drive although they should not be doing so and weve told them countless times,very nicely I might add, if they could please not do that s we may need access to our garage plus weve had parties before with 30 people round and not one of our guests have parked down there; theyve just found room elsewhere down the road. What would you do now? What makes it worse is that the husband and another family member have died in their familyand theyve had lots of guests come to visit, so we kind of feel a bit bad going on about it but we are so angry. There is a car parked down there as i type this and it has been parked there all night. What would you guys do? What shal we do? Please help!!!!!!!!:growlmad::shrug:

I would write a polite note and put it through their door, explaining that parking there blocks your access and that this really inconveniences you. Please make sure access is maintained etc etc.

If that doesn't work just get everyone you know to park there all the time and see how they like it!! :muaha: (only half-joking, I'm bad! Parking wars with neighbours are horrible, I know it too well)

xx

My parents next door neighbour actually had this problem. An old man lived their and the next door neighbour used to park her car on the drive in the middle, when he moved a new family moved in and they had so many arguments as to who should park their, in the end they put a fence through the middle so nobody could. That got quite nasty though in the end and that was the only option x

The thing is we dont actually use our garage as we park our cars on our drive in front of our house and the garage is just used for storage but its not the point; we dont park down there so we dont expect them to take the p and park there too. Never buying another house with shared drive!!! AAAArrrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!! x

we have just bought a semi with a shared driveway (we own the drive, but we have to give access rights to next door)
We checked with the land registry about the access righs and it specifically states that they are not allowed to block or park on the driveway.
maybe check with the land registry to see the wording, then post it through their door to let them know what thay are doing is illegal.
It may cost you to get the land registry details, but I think it was only something like £15.

The thing is we dont actually use our garage as we park our cars on our drive in front of our house and the garage is just used for storage but its not the point; we dont park down there so we dont expect them to take the p and park there too. Never buying another house with shared drive!!! AAAArrrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!! x

i was going to suggest knocking on their door and asking them kindly to move everytime they blocked your access, but tbh if you dont use it anyway i dont really see the problem :shrug: i regularly park over my neighbours drive, her eldest son (who doesnt live at home) uses it to park the odd car or 2 as he does them up ans sells them on, but she knows if im ever over it and he needs to get in/out just to knock and i will move. i appreciate her letting me do that as parking in our street has become really awkward since the neighbours kids on the other side all grew up and got cars

i was going to suggest knocking on their door and asking them kindly to move everytime they blocked your access, but tbh if you dont use it anyway i dont really see the problem :shrug: i regularly park over my neighbours drive, her eldest son (who doesnt live at home) uses it to park the odd car or 2 as he does them up ans sells them on, but she knows if im ever over it and he needs to get in/out just to knock and i will move. i appreciate her letting me do that as parking in our street has become really awkward since the neighbours kids on the other side all grew up and got cars

Thats not the point though, we dont block their accessso i dont see why they should block ours and take the p*** and park down there.we live down a quiet road and there is ample parking down our road, its just politeness not to do it. We could park down there but we dont as we dont FULLY own the drive so we have no right to do that like they have no right. Its damn right annoying. Weve had 30 guests round our house lots of times and not once have we taken the p*** and let them park down there becasue we are decent and considerate people.

Thats not the point though, we dont block their accessso i dont see why they should block ours and take the p*** and park down there.we live down a quiet road and there is ample parking down our road, its just politeness not to do it. We could park down there but we dont as we dont FULLY own the drive so we have no right to do that like they have no right. Its damn right annoying. Weve had 30 guests round our house lots of times and not once have we taken the p*** and let them park down there becasue we are decent and considerate people.

woah

sorry

was just an opinion, i guess things bother people differently eh

I don't understand really :/ can you get your car in and out if they park there or are you stuck?

I don't understand really :/ can you get your car in and out if they park there or are you stuck?

basically if i wanted to park my car in the garage, or get the lawnmower out or take the rubbish out, i cant because more often than not, they park down there. if you imagine, two semis and between them is a driveway that leads to two garages mine and theres; they park their vehicle down the middle x
see the pic below for an example of what my house and drive looks like x

[URL=https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/1vb4aa677c06b3b94a4a7f3.jpg/][IMG]https://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4574/1vb4aa677c06b3b94a4a7f3.jpg[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

woah

sorry

was just an opinion, i guess things bother people differently eh

No probs. Were quiet patient people but this has been going on for a long time now and weve just had enough xx

I would not be happy if you could not take your bin out because they park where they are not suposed to, me being spitefull would park my car there instead!

So the drive down the middle is access only and not parking?

I agree with a pp who sad about checking out the exact wording on the land registry, if it's that bad then also give CAB a ring and see what you're entitled to do legally?

So the drive down the middle is access only and not parking?

I agree with a pp who sad about checking out the exact wording on the land registry, if it's that bad then also give CAB a ring and see what you're entitled to do legally?

yes thats right access only and not parking, I might do that actually xx thank you xx

its just the principle of it, we'd never dream of dumping our car down there, so we don't expect other people to abuse and take advantage our our good nature and dump their car down there.

its just the principle of it, we'd never dream of dumping our car down there, so we don't expect other people to abuse and take advantage our our good nature and dump their car down there.

I agree just so rude!

Okay, I understand better now. At first I though it was a driveway used for parking that was shared...didn't know it was access only. If their parking is blocking you from getting things in and out (like bins/lawnmower etc) I would keep asking them to stop while explaining to them exactly why. Just tell them that you need access to this and that which is usually why cars are not allowed to park there, make sure not to say things like "Well, I never use this as a parking spot...not even when I have parties, and my older neighbor didn't either" because they may feel you're acting superior and be even less likely to move it.
If their car is not really blocking anything, and it's just "the principle", I would leave it for a little while considering they are somewhat new and just had a death in the family. Wouldn't want any bad blood with the new neighbors just over something that's right or wrong iykwim?
Good luck, I know things like that can get ugly :hugs:

no i know what you mean. people used to block our old driveway all the time. we had two cars on there too so it wasn't like we weren't using one space.

i used to leave notes on their cars :rofl:
& i'd take pictures. i was quite obsessed really!!!

Okay, I understand better now. At first I though it was a driveway used for parking that was shared...didn't know it was access only. If their parking is blocking you from getting things in and out (like bins/lawnmower etc) I would keep asking them to stop while explaining to them exactly why. Just tell them that you need access to this and that which is usually why cars are not allowed to park there, make sure not to say things like "Well, I never use this as a parking spot...not even when I have parties, and my older neighbor didn't either" because they may feel you're acting superior and be even less likely to move it.
If their car is not really blocking anything, and it's just "the principle", I would leave it for a little while considering they are somewhat new and just had a death in the family. Wouldn't want any bad blood with the new neighbors just over something that's right or wrong iykwim?
Goo luck, I know things like that can get ugly :hugs:

Weve told them numerous times, they moved in for about a year, then they let their property out and those people did the same, now because of this death in the family theyve moved back in and seemed to have 'forgotten' to not park there, so basically for the 3 years out of 4 that weve been there, whoevers lived there has done the same, used it as if its their driveway and they have the right to park down there. Were going to leave it for another couple of weeks as im sure they could do without this (although with all due respect thats not really our problem) and then once its been a month then knock on their door and try and make it as crystal clear that no one has the right to park, only access only. thanks for reading and replying everyone xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->