she just won't feed :-(

xnewxmummyx

Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle
Reaction score
My 2week old is a terrible feeder in the day time. She can go 3-4hours and still only take 2oz. Then at night she feeds every 2hours!!,

Any idea how I can change this?

X

How much do you think she is supposed to be taking at a time? Her tummy is so tiny, 2oz a feeding is pretty good I think....In the first few weeks they do feed every few hours, not sure there is much you can do.

From what I remember they quickly start to take more..by 4 weeks my daughter was sleeping for about 6 hrs through the night...but if she is full I'm not sure what you can do about that...

It's not the amount I'm worried about it's the space in between. She will go anything from 2-5hours without waking for a feed. Whereas at night she's bang on 2hrs.

It will change by itself don't worry. In those first few weeks my LO had his night and days mixed up.

2oz per feed at 2 weeks is what my LO had too.

Just keep doing what you're doing. What you're describing is totally normal. Actually, I'm not sure we were even managing 2 hours between feeds at night at 2 weeks. It was often more like 1.5 hours some times. They have tiny tummies and it's normal to feed more during the night in the early weeks. If you were BF, they would do this to boost your milk supply for the coming growth spurts. Even if you're bottlefeeding they still do the same. Also, you're probably with her more during the day (holding, cuddling, etc.), but during the night if you're sleeping separately, she will definitely wake and want a feed more for the comfort of being close to you. It's very soothing and reassuring for them. Just keep doing what you're doing. The nights do get easier. My daughter went a few whole nights without a feed by around 8-10 weeks, though she still mostly had a night feed (or 2) until 9 months.

That's exactly what my little guy is doing and he just had his 2 week checkup, and he's over a pound up from his birth weight! So I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm pretty sure there is a growth spurt at 2 weeks (and again at 6). Don't worry it's normal. Depending on how much she sleeps during the day. You might want to try and keep her a little more awake during the day to ease her body clock into day and night. Don't get me wrong - newborns are meant to sleep lots... but if she's sleeping she's not eating iykwim xx

At that age we would do a feed at 11pm and she would have 3 bottles between then and 5am when I finally gave up and got up for the day so about very hour and a half. Never more than 2oz at a time.

By 8 weeks she would sleep 6 hours before needing a night feed. Soooooomuch nicer :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->