Shocked by doctor re: weaning

Natsku

Reaction score
I took Maria for her 4 month appointment and the doctor asked me if we've started weaning yet, I said no and she said well you can do it now she's 4 months. I waited for her to tell me vits best to wait til 6 months but when I mentioned that she told me the new guidelines are 4 months!
I know thats not true as the leaflet I was given when she was born said 6 months. Can't wait til I move and Maria hopefully gets a better doctor.

On a more positive note I explained baby led weaning to the nurse who had never heard of it and she was interested. At first she said babies can't feed themselves til they're one!

I think this is a case of 'mum knows best' . I hate that mentality usually but when you have poor advice from HCP it really is the only thing that can be said. If you are planning on BLW follow your instincts.
It's good about the nurse though, hopefully she will look further into it and recommend it to other parents

You're opening up another can of worms! This is a hot Baby Club topic at the minute!

I'm waiting till 6 months out of laziness, think its a personal choice, the official guidelines are all over the place at the moment, lots of discredited research etc.

GPs don't tend to know much about babies anyway, I find.

I think this is a case of 'mum knows best' . I hate that mentality usually but when you have poor advice from HCP it really is the only thing that can be said. If you are planning on BLW follow your instincts.
It's good about the nurse though, hopefully she will look further into it and recommend it to other parents

I hope she does look more into it and mentions it to other mothers as I don't think its known much here
You're opening up another can of worms! This is a hot Baby Club topic at the minute!

I'm waiting till 6 months out of laziness, think its a personal choice, the official guidelines are all over the place at the moment, lots of discredited research etc.

GPs don't tend to know much about babies anyway, I find.

She's a baby doctor though not a GP, I thought she'd at least know the official guidelines!

my doctor also said it was 4 months and i showed him the AAP website on my husbands phone which clearly stated 6 months and he apologized. drs dont always get it right!

No offence to you OP, as I realise you're posting because of your doctors but I am getting soooo fed up with all the threads/debates on weaning recently.

The guidelines are 4-6 months, depending on your baby as far as i'm aware. With 4 months being for FF babies (if baby is ready) and 6 months being for BF babies.

At the end of the day though, they are just guidelines, and let's be honest many mummy's will choose when to wean their babies. They won't let a HV or Doctor decide that for them.

No offence to you OP, as I realise you're posting because of your doctors but I am getting soooo fed up with all the threads/debates on weaning recently.

The guidelines are 4-6 months, depending on your baby as far as i'm aware. With 4 months being for FF babies (if baby is ready) and 6 months being for BF babies.

At the end of the day though, they are just guidelines, and let's be honest many mummy's will choose when to wean their babies. They won't let a HV or Doctor decide that for them.

just a random thought...but what about combi feeders? I combination fed my LO at 4-6 months and started BLW at 5 months 1 weeks (right in the middle of 4-6 months) and he didnt start swollowing food till 6 months 1 week.

just a random thought...but what about combi feeders? I combination fed my LO at 4-6 months and started BLW at 5 months 1 weeks (right in the middle of 4-6 months) and he didnt start swollowing food till 6 months 1 week.

Good point! I have no idea!! I only know what i've read on here, and i've only seen FF and BF mentioned never combifed.

Tbh I think there needs to be more definitive guidelines, weaning seems to be a minefield :headspin:

Can someone please link me to where it says guidlines are being changed from 6m to 4m and the difference between FF and BF guinelines? I have just had a quick google and can't find anything.
AFAIK the 4m guideline was left in place when originally changed to cover medical reasons such as reflux

I'm waiting until 6 months because it's a pain to feed a tiny baby. Most doctors in the US recommend 4 months.

I hate it how weaning is seen as a dodgy subject tbh, i think all subjects should be discussed whether its a cause for debate or not (shouldnt be) but hey thats just me!! :) xx

I honestly don't know why people want to rush weaning. It's so bloody time consuming!!! Treasure exclusively BF'ing or FF'ing while you can! :rofl:

I honestly don't know why people want to rush weaning. It's so bloody time consuming!!! Treasure exclusively BF'ing or FF'ing while you can! :rofl:

I've enjoyed weaning so far, making up the purees etc was a bit of a faff but I have so many in the freezer now I don't have to think about it for quite a while!!

I love feeding my LO too, she's so happy being fed, it makes me happy :)

The guidelines havent changed and still remain 6 months. There are reviewing the weaning guidlines soon, not because of all this "research" but because they do it every few years anyway and they may stay the same.

There is a list I read somewhere about weaning and to start doing it when your baby is ready. This included things like being able to take something into their mouths and not push it out with their tongue, being able to properly support own head etc. I will see if I can dig it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->