Shocked by doctor re: weaning

I spoke to my hv today and she said that they are having talks about it but nothing has been decided. They are still advising for now that 6 months is the guideline.

Oh and they are now advising not to puree too much but to make sure the food is still lumpy as it helps them with their speech.

You are supposto introduce baby rice at 4 months, there is actual evidence that waiting till 6 months to introduce it is not benificial, but im not gonna get into that each parent is aloud to make whatever choice they want. But there is a reason jared food has first foods and then 6month foods.

Thats what i said to her lol!!! But she said well dont feed them a kebab!!! [ they were her words!!] I think she meant things with texture like baby rice isnt really completely smooth and mashed things like banana rather than pureed. I am the same though, i would worry about choking. She said that the chewing actually helps with speech development.

Oh and they are now advising not to puree too much but to make sure the food is still lumpy as it helps them with their speech.

does this not become a risk for choking?

If you plan to wean from 6 month, then you can give whole foods, such as carrot sticks, banana slices, babies gag reflex's are further up than ours and its very rare a baby will choke, but they may gag a lot at first. :flower:

It was 4 mths when i had my twins 9 years ago, it always changes, even though they say 6mths when my lo was born i started weaning her at 4 months i knew she was rdy, its mothers instincts, why do you think all the jars say from 4 mths, its just HV sticking their nose in and thinking there doctors.

Guidelines vary by country, I'm sure. I wouldn't go doctor-bashing just yet! I also don't think there are any hard and fast rules re BF or FF. Again, these, with any other parenting practice, are all just GUIDELINES - not rules!

My doctor suggested rice cereal now, 4-months, for my BF baby. I'm not offended by it, its a guideline, and ultimately my choice.

Jars say from 4 months because they want to sell them. End off.

does this not become a risk for choking?

If you plan to wean from 6 month, then you can give whole foods, such as carrot sticks, banana slices, babies gag reflex's are further up than ours and its very rare a baby will choke, but they may gag a lot at first. :flower:

This is true of BLW but if TW the gag reflex is bypassed so the chance of choking increases

Sorry for sounding thick but what is BLW and TW?

How is the gag reflex bypassed if you spoon feed? Your not putting it right at the back of there mouths,

i doubt that, wouldnt be allowed to now would they, in that case they may aswell say from birth!!!! seriously... :shrug:

I would imagine pediatricians know quite a lot about babies. Different Dr's have different opinions on weaning guidelines. I doubt that makes them incompetent - medicine is lots of gray scale. My Dr. seems quite adept but also recommended starting at 4 months. We decided on our own to start at 5month. If you've researched it and have formed an opinion then go with how you would like to do it.

:coffee:

i doubt that, wouldnt be allowed to now would they, in that case they may aswell say from birth!!!! seriously... :shrug:

What they are allowed to do and what they do are two different things. Everying to do with a baby makes money. Why do you think cow and gate sell baby wheat biscuits, 12 for £1.99 or you can get 24 wheetabix for £1.69 when they are exactly the same thing.

Stick baby in front of it and it sells and the earler you start buying the more money they make.

How is the gag reflex bypassed if you spoon feed? Your not putting it right at the back of there mouths,

a babys gag reflex is actually at the front of their mouth and moves back when they are much older. but thats the wrong reflex to be talking about anyway.

its actually the tongue thrust reflex that is to do with feeding. its the reflex used when you touch your babys lips, and that reflex is how babys suckle from breast or bottle to get milk.

if you try to put solids in a babys mouth while it has this reflex it pushes the food out of their mouth. this is most commonly seen in TW babies.

this is a sign that your baby is NOT ready for weaning. the reflex fades when your babys body is ready for weaning, normally between 4 and 6 months of age and normally in the later part of that.

when you spoon feed you basically override the tongue thrust reflex by pushing something into their mouth when they arent ready for it.

Is my baby ready for solids?
https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

Why delay solids?
https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

it really doesn't matter about the guidelines i think i tend to think older generations know best and they will certainly tell you when your lo is ready mine is 18 weeks and i have been told for the last 4 weeks to feed her i have held out but am statrting this weekend as i think if i leave it any longer i will miss my moment and she will lose interest and yes this does happen as a few of my friends have very fussy eaters and they didn't start to 6 months. we were all fed at 9 to 12 weeks and i don't think it has done us any harm sorry but had to say it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->