Shocked by doctor re: weaning

How is the gag reflex bypassed if you spoon feed? Your not putting it right at the back of there mouths,

a babys gag reflex is actually at the front of their mouth and moves back when they are much older. but thats the wrong reflex to be talking about anyway.

its actually the tongue thrust reflex that is to do with feeding. its the reflex used when you touch your babys lips, and that reflex is how babys suckle from breast or bottle to get milk.

if you try to put solids in a babys mouth while it has this reflex it pushes the food out of their mouth. this is most commonly seen in TW babies.

this is a sign that your baby is NOT ready for weaning. the reflex fades when your babys body is ready for weaning, normally between 4 and 6 months of age and normally in the later part of that.

when you spoon feed you basically override the tongue thrust reflex by pushing something into their mouth when they arent ready for it.

I know how the tounge thrust reflex works but the PP said the gag reflex not the tounge thrust. You also cant overside something that has gone. Not every one who spoon feeds starts at 4 months.

it really doesn't matter about the guidelines i think i tend to think older generations know best and they will certainly tell you when your lo is ready mine is 18 weeks and i have been told for the last 4 weeks to feed her i have held out but am statrting this weekend as i think if i leave it any longer i will miss my moment and she will lose interest and yes this does happen as a few of my friends have very fussy eaters and they didn't start to 6 months. we were all fed at 9 to 12 weeks and i don't think it has done us any harm sorry but had to say it..

older generations dont know best....they thought smoking was good for you...it quite clearly isnt. they went on old wives tales most of the time. and people paid the price for the misinformation given out. as time moves forward so does our knowledge of things, including the effects of weaning too early.

it really doesn't matter about the guidelines i think i tend to think older generations know best and they will certainly tell you when your lo is ready mine is 18 weeks and i have been told for the last 4 weeks to feed her i have held out but am statrting this weekend as i think if i leave it any longer i will miss my moment and she will lose interest and yes this does happen as a few of my friends have very fussy eaters and they didn't start to 6 months. we were all fed at 9 to 12 weeks and i don't think it has done us any harm sorry but had to say it..

They deffinatly dont know best, they used to think smoking was good for your lungs and it was ok to drink and have xrays when pregnant.

I can see your frustration with your gp and I also get frustrated with midwives/health visitors, we're lucky we can come on here and discuss/gain information from other ladies about weaning but lots of people don't and rely on professionals to give them accurate info, l I think the advice should be standardized, parents are left confused and unsure with what to do as they all say different things, the guidelines should be followed by all of them and then parents should be informed about alternatives/different options.

We started blw at 6 months and 2 weeks because thats when our baby was ready, you should go with what feels right for you and your baby :flower:

How is the gag reflex bypassed if you spoon feed? Your not putting it right at the back of there mouths,

a babys gag reflex is actually at the front of their mouth and moves back when they are much older. but thats the wrong reflex to be talking about anyway.

its actually the tongue thrust reflex that is to do with feeding. its the reflex used when you touch your babys lips, and that reflex is how babys suckle from breast or bottle to get milk.

if you try to put solids in a babys mouth while it has this reflex it pushes the food out of their mouth. this is most commonly seen in TW babies.

this is a sign that your baby is NOT ready for weaning. the reflex fades when your babys body is ready for weaning, normally between 4 and 6 months of age and normally in the later part of that.

when you spoon feed you basically override the tongue thrust reflex by pushing something into their mouth when they arent ready for it.

I know how the tounge thrust reflex works but the PP said the gag reflex not the tounge thrust. You also cant overside something that has gone. Not every one who spoon feeds starts at 4 months.

I know but you asked about the gag reflex and mentioned it being at the back of their mouths...and it isnt. its at the front of their mouths. and then i was pointing out honestly that doesnt matter, because its the tongue thrust reflex that is a sign of weaning readiness.

and the reflex isnt always gone at 4 months thats the point.

Jars say from 4 months because they want to sell them. End off.

i doubt that, wouldnt be allowed to now would they, in that case they may aswell say from birth!!!! seriously... :shrug:

What they are allowed to do and what they do are two different things. Everying to do with a baby makes money. Why do you think cow and gate sell baby wheat biscuits, 12 for £1.99 or you can get 24 wheetabix for £1.69 when they are exactly the same thing.

Stick baby in front of it and it sells and the earler you start buying the more money they make.

Yes but your original point insinuates that they can sell em even if dangerous... which they cannot!!!!!! im not disputing supermarkets like to make cash come on...

I know but you asked about the gag reflex and mentioned it being at the back of their mouths...and it isnt. its at the front of their mouths. and then i was pointing out honestly that doesnt matter, because its the tongue thrust reflex that is a sign of weaning readiness.

and the reflex isnt always gone at 4 months thats the point.

You missunderstood my post, i ment when you spoon feed you dont put the food that far back on their tounge that you put it behind where their gag reflex is.

The post i was responing too said you bypass their gag reflex by spoonfeeding so you missunderstood my post, i ment when you spoon feed you dont put the food that far back on their tounge that you put it behind where their gag reflex is.

i doubt that, wouldnt be allowed to now would they, in that case they may aswell say from birth!!!! seriously... :shrug:

What they are allowed to do and what they do are two different things. Everying to do with a baby makes money. Why do you think cow and gate sell baby wheat biscuits, 12 for £1.99 or you can get 24 wheetabix for £1.69 when they are exactly the same thing.

Stick baby in front of it and it sells and the earler you start buying the more money they make.

Yes but your original point insinuates that they can sell em even if dangerous... which they cannot!!!!!! im not disputing supermarkets like to make cash come on...

But they do, they sell baby food with gluten in even though if you do decide to wean at 4 months thats one of the things you need to avoid.

Older generations also thought smoking, and drinking excessively when pregnant was safe and weaning at 6 weeks was ok; they also had cots with lead paint on etc; doesn't mean that these things were the right thing to do; it was down to a lack of knowledge. They don't lose interest if you leave it longer than 18 weeks; they just get over the 4 month growth spurt and are once again satisfied with milk alone for the next few weeks. My two that were weaned at 6 months+ are far less fussy eaters than my eldest who was weaned at 4 months.

But they do, they sell baby food with gluten in even though if you do decide to wean at 4 months thats one of the things you nebout ed to avoid.

yes but things like that are totally diff to plain weaning arnt they... we arnt talking about intolerance's par say ... although that will happen now, the point is they are not labeling from birth for a good reason.. danger! however 4 months is not..

I started introducing solids after Bella hit 6 months and she will eat everything and anything. She loves all sorts of food and isn't picky at all. I did a combination of BLW and TW.

But they do, they sell baby food with gluten in even though if you do decide to wean at 4 months thats one of the things you need to avoid.

This is true; and until a few years ago Boots and Hipp sold JUICE and baby teas marked as being suitable from 4 weeks or even birth in some cases, it was already known then that giving juice or tea at such a young age could be harmful but they only thought about the profits. HIPP still sell such products, even put samples marked as suitable from birth in the equivalent of bounty packs in several European countries, because they can get away with it.

But they do, they sell baby food with gluten in even though if you do decide to wean at 4 months thats one of the things you nebout ed to avoid.

yes but things like that are totally diff to plain weaning arnt they... we arnt talking about intolerance's par say ... although that will happen now, the point is they are not labeling from birth for a good reason.. danger! however 4 months is not..

I dont undsertand what you mean by plain weaning?

I think the people who make these guidlines up, dont have a bloody clue, they can stick their guidlines up their behind, ill do what I think is best for MY baby, thank you very much - 'professionals' pfft

yes but things like that are totally diff to plain wnthseaning arnt they... we arnt talking about intolerance's par say ... although that will happen now, the point is they are not labeling from birth for a good reason.. danger! however 4 months is not..

I dont undertand what you mean by plain weaning?

sorry didnt word it v well, meaning the weaning / 4 month thing is the topic on jars, the gluton etc intolerance's can come later?

yes but things like that are totally diff to plain wnthseaning arnt they... we arnt talking about intolerance's par say ... although that will happen now, the point is they are not labeling from birth for a good reason.. danger! however 4 months is not..

I dont undertand what you mean by plain weaning?

sorry didnt word it v well, meaning the weaning / 4 month thing is the topic on jars, the gluton etc intolerance's can come later?

They can start later on in life yes but it has been researched that by giving gluten before 4 months you are more likly to develop things like IBS and celiacs yet companys still make porridge with gluten in it that says its suitable from 4 months.

the coeliacs society believe that coeliacs disease is caused by giving gluten before six months; as there are many studies to back this up therefore advising on a product that contains WHEAT gluten as rusks do; that it is suitable from 4 months; is irresponsible and dangerous.

its 4mths here in ireland, 6 mths for BF.

both mine were weaned at 4mths because they were both ready for it, not because of guidelines or whoever/whatever said so.

u will know when UR baby is ready for it, wether it be tomorrow, next month etc

^ yes thats what i was saying as in it can come later etc, i personally think you wean when
you know there ready... i had so so many reasons.... it was lit a definite for us, as bottles every1.45 hrs at 4 months was just silly!!!

christ here we go loll ;)

sorry dont have any input because it always ends in 15 pages of the same old conflicting views and people feeling like shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->