Should a council house be a home for life?

What would you do with the people who are wanting to stay in their council home to save enough of a deposit to buy a house, something they could not afford to do if they were private renting?

And what if people were given temporary jobs, which a lot of jobs are just now?

Just curious really to how this system would work.

At the moment though even if you do save enough for a deposit for your own house, it is just not that easy to be excepted for a mortgage high enough to buy anything, if your are first time buyers and if you have more than 1 child it goes against you badly and they only lend you 3 times you wages, and the mortgage repayments hit amost a grand a month......... we could not possibly afford to buy privately EVEN if we managed to save a deposit and if we were given a mortgage for a house the mortgage monthly repayments were so ridiculous we would have a roof over our heads but no money for gas electric food or anything else after lol x

What would you do with the people who are wanting to stay in their council home to save enough of a deposit to buy a house, something they could not afford to do if they were private renting?

And what if people were given temporary jobs, which a lot of jobs are just now?

Just curious really to how this system would work.

That isn't what social housing is for...it should be for people who need it because they can't afford anything else...

So as soon as they could afford private rent they would be removed from their social housing? I dont imagine that would be a great insentive for finding work etc.

Private landlords would be making a lot of money. Would more people (the ones who could afford it) buy simply to sell, and would this not then give us an even wider divide between the rich and poor?
I think it may as less ordinary people on an ordinary wage would be able to afford to buy, causing more inequality.

Where would the line be drawn between those who were entitled and those who were not? X amount per month?

Im not trying to argue, im just looking at the reality of what may occur of this were the case.

So as soon as they could afford private rent they would be removed from their social housing? I dont imagine that would be a great insentive for finding work etc.
Private landlords would be making a lot of money. Would more people (the ones who could afford it) buy simply to sell, and would this not then give us an even wider divide between the rich and poor?
I think it may as less ordinary people on an ordinary wage would be able to afford to buy, causing more inequality.

Where would the line be drawn between those who were entitled and those who were not? X amount per month?

Im not trying to argue, im just looking at the reality of what may occur of this were the case.

I don't think it should be as soon they can afford it but when they can easily afford it is totally different IMO.
For me it would have to come down to when you earn X amount.

Of course having to move into Pirvate and not really being able to afford it wouldn't be much of an incentive but in this area technically you could earn say 50,000 plus a year (I know not all areas are the same though), does that still entiltle you to a house just because when you first went into the property you was on 15,000 a year?

Unfortunately there is much more people needing houses then there are actual places so personally I think the only way it should be done is by given them to ones that actually do need them.
I also think though that just because you work although on a lower income you shouldn't be put behind those that CHOOSE not to work, again not really an incentive to work.

Like I said before I agree with what someone else said earlier, I think means testing for Council housing would be a good idea, which I suppose would come down to x amount.

IMO it's the craziness of market rents (coupled with wage disparity meaning that those on full time minimum wage cannot afford private rent) that is the issue, and social housing is just a sticking plaster for it really. If housing costs (both purchase prices and rental) were realistic then the demand for social housing wouldn't be so pressured.

I have no idea what the answer is though :(

I think there should be more option of shared ownership housing which means that people dont have to find the full 10% to buy, it means you can get on the property ladder with a smaller amount of deposit and therefore less people in council housing. I do agree with the OP you should NOT be able to buy your council house, you should just be able to rent it while your circumstances dictate. OR maybe council housing should be scrapped altogether and housing benefit increased so people can private rent.

I watched a programme about council housing up North, and there are many, many empty properties and a couple were applying for a lsubsidised oan from the government to buy the house, do it up, to be rented through the council. That I think makes more sense.

I think there should be more option of shared ownership housing which means that people dont have to find the full 10% to buy, it means you can get on the property ladder with a smaller amount of deposit and therefore less people in council housing. I do agree with the OP you should NOT be able to buy your council house, you should just be able to rent it while your circumstances dictate. OR maybe council housing should be scrapped altogether and housing benefit increased so people can private rent.

I watched a programme about council housing up North, and there are many, many empty properties and a couple were applying for a lsubsidised oan from the government to buy the house, do it up, to be rented through the council. That I think makes more sense.

The problem with that though is that it basically means the taxpayer is propping up inflated rents and lining the pockets of private landlords (been happening a lot over the years already)

Not really a good situation tbh, just another sticking plaster for a screwed housing system :(

My nan has a 3 bed and its just her. I dont think she should move though to benefit others- Its not her problem! Sorry just my opinion!

We are handing out council house back Friday! We were lucky to get a council place, 3 bed and permanent and non estate but we dont need it as inherited a house so lucky in that way else I probably would have stayed there as I doubt I will ever work full time as my son will always have full time needs.

I'm a bit out on this one tbh. I do agree with the points you raised but also see the other side. I was brought up in a Council House- it was the house my whole family was raised in- my Nanna brought up all her 8 children in the house, so my Mums lived there for nearly 60 years. Now Ive flown the nest, its just her, and its a 3 bedroomed house, but it holds so many memories. Its her home.

I'm a bit out on this one tbh. I do agree with the points you raised but also see the other side. I was brought up in a Council House- it was the house my whole family was raised in- my Nanna brought up all her 8 children in the house, so my Mums lived there for nearly 60 years. Now Ive flown the nest, its just her, and its a 3 bedroomed house, but it holds so many memories. Its her home.

I totally agree and if it would cause someone stress then they should stay, its not your nans fault that people need homes x

The problem with that though is that it basically means the taxpayer is propping up inflated rents and lining the pockets of private landlords (been happening a lot over the years already)

Not really a good situation tbh, just another sticking plaster for a screwed housing system :(

If you read the last paragraph, it would need to be monitered by the council. So help with doing houses up to rent, kept in line by the councils.

I totally agree and if it would cause someone stress then they should stay, its not your nans fault that people need homes x

I can see that side of it too, someone I know will be in this situation soon too and although I wish they could keep their home forever, mainly for the memories and selfish reasons, I also know if it was someone else in that situation and me as an outsider I would be thinking what I stated earlier, that you should only be entilted to as many rooms as you need, when needed.

We had memories in our last property but when the landlord decieded to sell we still had to move. Council is the same, it is rented to you and should never be guarenteed for life. :flower:

I work for our local council (well we are the contractor that takes care of the houses).
At the moment we have a massive stock shortage because people have the right to buy their homes but the government won't give us the funding to build new.

As for living in for life... This again is a massive issue. We have OAP's in there 70's who lives alone in a 5 bedroom house and we can't evict them, why i dont know! To me that house is wasted but we are limited as to what we can do.

we are undergoing a benefit reform were the benefit is awarded on the amount of people and not the size of the house but it doesn't affect anyone on a state pension. So basically if you are a couple with one child in a 3 bed house, your housing benefit will drop by 15% and if there are two spare rooms, your benefit will drop by 25% etc. That means the people who are affected will have to pay a top up. This has been good in a way because a lot of people all of a sudden want to down size.

Council housing should give you a 5 year limit then a review. In my area, you can do a scheme called rent to buy. Basically you pay rent for 5 years then you are given the option to buy. If you choose to buy then all the rent for the 5 years will be put down as your deposit so you can get a mortgage. You can also do shared ownership and first buyer schemes. There are so many options out there that alot of people don't have an excuse to stay in council homes but i suppose that depends on your area and the schemes available.

This whole ‘no housing benefit for under 25’s’ could actually work. It may make teens think twice before being planning a family when you can’t afford it. Although I know sometimes things happen which were not planned, they should have young mothers units which helps support them if their parents won’t allow them to stay home and encourage them to continue with studies or help them get a job and deal with finances. Doing things like that will hopefully help break a cycle from the start.

Oh wow… I am going way off subject there and before any ones says anything. I was 19 when i fell pregnant with my daughter and she wasn't planned but luckily I have worked from the age of 15 so i was financially stable to support another life.

Basically I agree with the first post.

If you read the last paragraph, it would need to be monitered by the council. So help with doing houses up to rent, kept in line by the councils.

Monitoring by the council won't reverse a decades-long trend in housing price inflation :shrug:

Schemes to get derelict houses done up and rented are a completely different kettle of fish than upping HB to pay for market rents :flow:

The whole system needs an overhaul really rather than these little add-ons that paper the cracks.

God, no I dont think anything can be done about house price inflation, thats the economey, I mean monitoring rents...

I work for our local council (well we are the contractor that takes care of the houses).
At the moment we have a massive stock shortage because people have the right to buy their homes but the government won't give us the funding to build new.

As for living in for life... This again is a massive issue. We have OAP's in there 70's who lives alone in a 5 bedroom house and we can't evict them, why i dont know! To me that house is wasted but we are limited as to what we can do.

we are undergoing a benefit reform were the benefit is awarded on the amount of people and not the size of the house but it doesn't affect anyone on a state pension. So basically if you are a couple with one child in a 3 bed house, your housing benefit will drop by 15% and if there are two spare rooms, your benefit will drop by 25% etc. That means the people who are affected will have to pay a top up. This has been good in a way becausea lot of people all of a sudden want to down size.

Council housing should give you a 5 year limit then a review. In my area, you can do a scheme called rent to buy. Basically you pay rent for 5 years then you are given the option to buy. If you choose to buy then all the rent for the 5 years will be put down as your deposit so you can get a mortgage. You can also do shared ownership and first buyer schemes. There are so many options out there that alot of people don't have an excuse to stay in council homes but i suppose that depends on your area and the schemes available.

This whole ‘no housing benefit for under 25’s’ could actually work. It may make teens think twice before being planning a family when you can’t afford it. Although I know sometimes things happen which were not planned, they should have young mothers units which helps support them if their parents won’t allow them to stay home and encourage them to continue with studies or help them get a job and deal with finances. Doing things like that will hopefully help break a cycle from the start.

Oh wow… I am going way off subject there and before any ones says anything. I was 19 when i fell pregnant with my daughter and she wasn't planned but luckily I have worked from the age of 15 so i was financially stable to support another life.

Basically I agree with the first post.

I agree with the bold part..., like i have said before there is a lot of 'having baby get a house' mentality and tbh most parents only 'chuck' their children out as they know they would be housed, they wouldnt do it if not would they (well in most cases) and i have known people to plan pregnancies whilst still living at home safe in the knowledge they will be taken care of via council housing and benefits.

It all goes a lot deeper than just people buying their houses and old people living alone in 3 bedrooms houses............ People are choosing their circumstances and therefore making their own circumstances worse..........should these people really have priority over a elderly person wanting to stay in the home they have lived in life long or a couple who work damn hard and trying to get out of the council tenant situation.........:shrug: im not sure.

My neighbour is in a 2 bedroom council house (she also works for the council) she has two boys and 1 girl the two youngest children she fell pregnant with and had whilst still in the 2 bedroom property, she choose to have a 3rd child and is now constantly complaining old people are in houses too big etc etc and 'demanding' a 3 bedroom house to accomadate her children............however the council have told her she choose to have a 3rd child, she made her own circunstances worse, if its a problem private rent and they will help towards extra rent but that still isnt good enough.

should people in council houses continue to expand their family, should they expect bigger properties or even be entitled to them?

My neighbour is in a 2 bedroom council house (she also works for the council) she has two boys and 1 girl the two youngest children she fell pregnant with and had whilst still in the 2 bedroom property, she choose to have a 3rd child and is now constantly complaining old people are in houses too big etc etc and 'demanding' a 3 bedroom house to accomadate her children............however the council have told her she choose to have a 3rd child, she made her own circunstances worse, if its a problem private rent and they will help towards extra rent but that still isnt good enough.

should people in council houses continue to expand their family, should they expect bigger properties or even be entitled to them?

Very good point. I have known tenants to purposely have another child so they can get a new house in a different area bacause they hate the house/area they are in.

I never understand how people can have 3 'surpise/accidental' pregnancies... seriously? Take your pill correct and it is very effective or use a condom yes they have failure rates but very very small amounts if used right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->