Should a council house be a home for life?

yeah but thats a rare thing surely^^^^^^^ the pill does work if taken correctly for the majority of people.

The pill is not 100% safe anyway, if you have sex there is always a risk, so the doctor should not of said that and if that was me i would be using the 'double dutch' method, just to be extra careful :haha:

I agree there are incidents of unplanned pregnancies but people arent always that careful, use the withdraw method, dont take pills correctly or use nothing at all the amount of times i have heard 'it wasnt planned, but we werent using anything' :dohh: is unreal and at the end of the day there is still a choice BUT people do have children to get housed and have more children to get bigger houses, thats how it is and i dont view these people as 'in need' at all and dont think elderly people should be kicked out their life long homes to accomadate these people. x

I have a friend who has 3 kids and both her and her hubby work.

The bring in over 36k a year and are in a council property!!!

I personally feel tHat her 3 bed house should be given to a family who can't afford private rent.

She bought a very expensive pram for her 3rd.

A BB Donkey, new dishwasher, new 42'' TV etc etc and IMHO if you can afford all that then you shouldn't be paying £280 a month!!!

V xxx

I personally feel tHat her 3 bed house should be given to a family who can't afford private rent.

A BB Donkey, new dishwasher, new 42'' TV etc etc and IMHO if you can afford all that then you shouldn't be paying £280 a month!!!

V xxx

So say they move her on, and move a family in that do not work- its not going to give them any incentive to find work, is it? Because if they do, they know they will get moved on too.

V xxx

So say they move her on, and move a family in that do not work- its not going to give them any incentive to find work, is it? Because if they do, they know they will get moved on too.

Good point.

When I asked her why she hasn't gone private her reply was the cost of rent.

The estate she lives on is down the road from me and it really is grotty, she don't have a nice word to say about her neighbours, or the kids her eldest son hangs around with but she only stays cos of the cheap rent.

V xxx

I think ultimately it becomes a general welfare problem, doesnt it, as opposed to just council houses. I think under this government they are going to make some very unpopular changes.

I remember reading (dont know if this came in), that under JSA if you refused three jobs you would have your benefit taken away, its those sort of strict rules that need applying. There are jobs out there, I have only got to look in the paper, job centre, online that pay a minium wage, but people choose not to take them, and take state benefit instead.

V xxx

Good point.

The estate she lives on is down the road from me and it really is grotty, she don't have a nice word to say about her neighbours, or the kids her eldest son hangs around with but she only stays cos of the cheap rent.

V xxx

What a joke, that really is shocking. My kids enviroment would come before the price of rent also if I could help it!

V xxx

Thats why I personally think they should be going for the inbeween. Obviously people over a certain amount shouldn't be entilted to Council Properties the same way in which they wouldn't any other benefit, but also providing families that don't work with everything they need to carry on living the life they are is no incentive either.

Maybe making families that are working on maybe low-medium income more of a priority would work better in the long run?

V xxx

Good point.

V xxx

What a joke, that really is shocking. My kids enviroment would come before the price of rent also if I could help it!

I agree, luckily the area we live in the 'rough areas' really aren't that rough compared to many others. If however I did live in a rough area and my kids were hanging out with people I would rather they didn't, if I could afford to live in a better area than I know I wouldn't even question it.

council can have my home back next week and shove it where the sun dont shine! My bully neighbours have made our lives hell!! Goodbye!

Hmm I really don't know. In London its a bit different because unless you're on the wage of Boris Johnson you really cannot truly afford any privately rented property if you're a family of 4 or more; one of the Green Party London Assembly members made an interactive map and its pretty mindblowing. Most people in London have absolutely no chance of buying anything privately either and I believe there are very few people in social housing in London who don't deserve to be there, even if they have a nice car and nice things it doesn't necessarily mean they could afford something private which would cost 3-4x as much in rent or considerably more to buy than on a RTB scheme. There is no RTB on the development where we live and thats a shame IMHO because from what I've seen developments where some of the people own their properties, there is a lot more pride in the area and so a lot less anti social behaviour and petty vandalism. You'll never get everyone wanting to buy their property but if some are given the option I think thats a good thing, provided the money is put back into newbuilds xx

while i agree with some of the points made as a council tenant i disagree with most.
i have been a council tenant since i was 17, and had my first flat (no kids just me and ex) when i had dd at 21 i exchanged to a 2 bed then a 3 bed just before dd2 came along. that was 10 yrs ago and i am still in my house and its the only home girls have known, lo came along last year but i don't expect a bigger house and won't if we have another.... for the last 2 yrs oh has lived here to and he earns 36k (after tax) does that mean we should have to move...? i go back to uni in Sept to do teacher training so there is no way we can afford private rent. once i am qualified and working we have no plans to move out and are hoping we can buy as would get maximum discount. we can't afford to buy any other way and i have health issues which could mean i am unable to work in future but we could afford our home on just oh wage.
so yes we have a good income oh works hard as a teacher i Will be a student but from what some of you are saying we should give up our home as we earn too much...?

while i agree with some of the points made as a council tenant i disagree with most.
i have been a council tenant since i was 17, and had my first flat (no kids just me and ex) when i had dd at 21 i exchanged to a 2 bed then a 3 bed just before dd2 came along. that was 10 yrs ago and i am still in my house and its the only home girls have known, lo came along last year but i don't expect a bigger house and won't if we have another.... for the last 2 yrs oh has lived here to and he earns 36k (after tax) does that mean we should have to move...? i go back to uni in Sept to do teacher training so there is no way we can afford private rent. once i am qualified and working we have no plans to move out and are hoping we can buy as would get maximum discount. we can't afford to buy any other way and i have health issues which could mean i am unable to work in future but we could afford our home on just oh wage.
so yes we have a good income oh works hard as a teacher i Will be a student but from what some of you are saying we should give up our home as we earn too much...?

The bit in bold, I dont think that makes a difference tbh, so many children have to move year in year out because they parents have to private rent, your girls are very lucky that they have been settled in one place for so long.

the only reason i ent give it up is we plan to buy.... i am registered disabled and my wage won't count towards a mortgage due to chronic illness. its the only way we could get on property ladder round here...!

I'll be blunt with my opinion, but yeah I think you should. Your post strikes a nerve with me because we currently live off OHs wage and have to get help from benefits because due to a lack of council houses we have to pay private rent. I'm halfway through my PGCE to qualify to be a primary teacher (currently on intercalation due to surprise of LO) but one of the reasons I can't go back to university and finish my course is that most of our money goes on private rent. If we were lucky enough to be in a council house, I probably could go back and qualify.

To some people, 36k after tax is a bloody fortune and then you still won't give up the council house when you have a second teachers wage on top of that? I think it's disgusting and selfish.

Aren't you therefore wanting to do what nugget80 is, that being studying whilst having a council house?

But they are for some people (to use to get on the property ladder), otherwise you would not be allowed to buy them. they dont simply exist just to rent from, however much you may want them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->