Should I call the RSPCA?

Amber4

Reaction score
Okay, please no one think I'm being bitchy...

My neighbour has an old cat and he's going really bald and looks neglected. I know he's old and he's just losing fur but... He's always covered in cuts and I know it may be from fights but they seem to never get better. He's had one on his eye for months and it just seems to look worse every time. I'm also concerned about how much he gets fed. I know cats will eat from any home but he's always starving and eats from loads of house in the street.

I'm just concerned tbh xx

If you genuinely feel like there is something wrong then i'd call em. If he is being properly looked after then the owners have nothing to worry about :)

I wouldn't hesitate to call.

Sounds like the poor kitty is suffering badly.

Old or not, the poor animal should be looked after better than that,

If the owner is genuinely looking after the cat then they have nothing to worry about.

I don't know if I'd call - Hear me out. My neighbours cat lost a lot of weight over 6 months, started appearing with cuts. He had a bandage around his paw at one point, was limping and to be honest looked as though he wasn't being fed. I started putting out food for him because I was worried. Anyway - His owner invited me in for a coffee when I received one of her parcels and I took the chance to ask about her cat; as I was getting close to calling the RSPCA myself.

She explained that he had a severe skin disease which was making him poorly. She showed me his extensive creams and antibiotics prescribed by the vets. He was trying to fight an infection bless him. I told her I'd been worried and been feeding him and she felt a lot better because she thought he'd also been off his food at home ! Oops.

My sister has two dogs, and they are the loves of her life. They are her children... Haha. Coco, the youngest: Aged 1, got mange. She honestly looked like a zombie. You could see her ribs, because she'd refuse to eat. She used to scab up like crazy and make herself raw by scratching. She was on a lot of painkillers, antibiotics and creams. It took her a year for her fur to grow back and the cuts to finally heal. now - She's the perfect healthy dog.

If you genuinely think this cat is being neglected, call the RSPCA.. Let them make an assessment. An animals health is more important than anything else; so it's better safe than sorry. But at the same time there's always two ways it can go. x

Do you get on with your neighbour? Is there any way you could bring up the cat in conversation to get a bit more info?
Elderly cats will quite often lose weight-conditions like hyperthyroidism can mean that they get very skinny despite being fed large amounts and a weakened immune system can mean that little scratches and scrapes take longer to heal.
If you are still worried though then the RSPCA should be able to visit just to confirm that everything is ok, although it can take them a while to get out to you.

I wouldn't go on just that,I would ask your neighbour if everything is ok?Our cat has a skin infection that was caused by that bob martin flea stuff,it gave her chemical burns,however she had the right injection and its clearing up,however she is still patchy,As for it eating everywhere,it could be like ours..a pig!lol..x

Recent experience of the RSPCA is rather poor. A friend of mine reported a cat in similar condition to this cat and they weren't interested in going themselves, just told her to take it to the vet if she was able to catch it one day and left it there, no plans for a follow uP or any thing!!!

Wonder if the story would be different if it were a dog???

I know the woman and know there is nothing wrong with him medically wise. We've spoke a few times and she explained about his fur loss and said it was because he's old. Like I said these cuts have been here a while and he's not getting better. I'm 99% certain he needs antibiotics and he's not getting them. My neighbor (next door to her) went away and this woman offered to feed her cats (she had 4) she went away for 5 days and when she got back the same tin wasn't even finished and no more were open so did make me wonder. This was before he started looking really bad btw as she would never leave her cats in her care if she thought he was neglected that bad.

I think I'm gonna call and if they have nothing to worry about then they won't mind x

I'm not sure I would report, our cat who passed away last year was near bald, skinny as a rake and had lots of cuts and scratches, but he was loved and healthy he was checked at the vets for hair loss and his skinniness and they could find nothing wrong with him just one of those things, he ate like a horse at our house and every bugger elses was a friendly old boy who was rather fond of a scrap.

Maybe just tell her of your concerns :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->