• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

should i give up on BLW?

MyLittleFish

Reaction score
Hello!
right, so my DS turned 6 months this week and definitely ready for solids. I did BLW with my DD so was going to do the same with DS as it had worked so well the first time. However DS is rather over enthusiastic when it comes to food and has managed to choke at every meal time as he stuffs as much as possible into his mouth in one go. My DH is now unhappy to continue with BLW as it is quite shocking to see him gagging/choking.
so really i want to know if you would persist or give on and go down the puree path and try again when he's more used to food?!

sorry for the ramble and thanks in advance!

xx

I would put little bits at a time on his tray until he learns to pace himself a bit.

Yes i agree with button. I used to just give my little boy a bit or two at a time.. Otherwise he got too overwhelmed at did the same.. Either that or started throwing it lol. I would give him an empty plate and I would take care of his full plate and just place a couple of but on the empty one at a time.xxx

Thank you ladies, I have only been giving him one or two pieces at a time but he still just stuffs it in and takes a huge chunck off and then gaggs, ive tried different sizes and shapes and firmness. Its all a bit daunting! Lol. My DD was so easy as she just played with it and accidentally ate bits whereas DS wants to just eat and not play! Little monster! X

My son did this too. There were times I got scared and wanted to give up too. I would take a day or two break at the beginning but it was clear to me he didn't want to be spoon fed, so I would muster up the courage and try again. Remember, gagging is not the same as choking. Gagging is what prevents them from choking. My son had to learn his limits on his own and he eventually stopped shoving too much food in. He hardly gags anymore, but the gagging phase lasted about a month for us. I eventually learned to not get so worked up over it because he showed me time and time again that he really could manage what was in his mouth and I started to really trust in the process. Remember your LO's gag reflex is so far forward on their tongue right now that it is so easy for them to gag when in reality the food is pretty far from their airway. Its scary to watch and I certainly questioned my sanity for giving my six month old real food. But I slowly got the confidence to move forward and offer new foods. I really began to trust his ability to handle the food and slowly the gagging wasn't hard to watch anymore, especially because I knew he would just spit out what he couldn't swallow.

I'm not advocating for you to continue if it really makes you nervous. You have to do what is right for you. But we were where you are now and baby led weaning was still a good choice for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->