Should I try now or WTT after investigations?

Livininhope

Reaction score
I've been told I'm on a list to be seen for investigations into why I have had three miscarriages in a row but they can't tell me when I will be seen.

I am desperate to start trying again but petrified if I try it happens all over again.

So should I take the leap and go ahead and just try on my next cycle (waiting for my first period after D&C which should come this week - I hope anyway!)?

I was going to take a whole host of vitamins and herbs I have researched online that claim to help and also baby aspirin.

I know it's stupid to self-diagnose but I cannot sit around and wait goodness knows how long for someone else to diagnose me and then at that might not even find anything!

Any help is much appreciated xx

being from a medical background I'd personally wait, what if it happens again? at Least post investigation you'll be either in the know with what's wrong or have some price of mind that there isn't something physically wrong and may be another factor , depends what investigations your having , but that's just my opinion

I agree. I wouldnt want to put myself through the pain of another loss again and maybe after seeing the doctor there would be something you could do to prevent it from happening again. I also wonder why the baby aspirin? I know that aspirin is not recommended in pregnancy so I am just curious.

Thank you both for your replies. I know I really should wait but the length of time they leave you hanging is ridiculous - I could be still here in 6 months for all I know!

The baby aspirin is to help thin your blood if you have sticky blood. I have read the symptoms and believe this is what I MAY have but who knows!

:(

X

Well I know what you probably SHOULD do, but I don't know if that's what I'd do in your shoes. I know what it's like to desperately want to be pregnant after a loss, and it's horrendous waiting.

You could have something wrong which is making you miscarry, but there's a chance it was just a run of bad luck. At the end of the day it's your body and only you can decide. You've gone through three losses now so you know the score. I think about loosing another baby and I'm like, meh it's bad but I've btdt now I know what to expect. Ill take the risk it's worth it. Maybe you're the same.

Perhaps do some more research on when you will get to be seen for these investigations. Then make a plan. Maybe wait a few months and see if you get your referral and if you don't then just ntnp instead if ttc. Then at least you'll not feel like your whole life is on pause waiting for this. I hated that feeling. :(

So sorry for your losses. X

Thanks for your reply sausages - that is exactly how I feel! I know I SHOULD wait but don't think I CAN wait.

I've ordered a whole host of vitamins and herbs and I'm going to take them when they come and try in not the coming cycle but the one after that. hopefully by that point the nhs will have been in touch too but I'm not holding my breath!

the wait is so horrible. and then the wait when you do fall pregnant is just as horrible. I've never reached that happy stage when I can tell people and start to really plan it all out. I really, really want to get to that stage. I've seen two of my baby's hearts beating then disappear :-( I just want them to stick xxxx

Livininhope - I have had two miscarriages, one after hearing a healthy heartbeat (well, seeing it on an ultrasound) and the other I didn't have the chance as I had no scans.
I have been told that they will do some testing on me as there is a strong family history of multiple miscarriages and we have no other risk factors such as age etc. I am yet to start testing as I didn't want to put myself through the stress when we weren't in a position to ttc, plus they are only willing to do 2/4 of the NHS tests as I haven't had three losses.
I am personally going to wait until I am ready to ttc, then I will probably ask for a progesterone supplement and baby aspirin, as well as starting vitamins 6 months prior to ttc. If this results in another unsuccessful pregnancy I will be eligible for all NHS tests, and if the pregnancy is successful then obviously I would be over the moon.

The issue I have with testing is that 75% (im sure that is the exact figure!) they do not find a cause and you are still more likely to have a successful pregnancy next time than you are to have an unsuccessful pregnancy. I can totally understand the inability to relax, and in my opinion, testing would not mitigate the worry at all. It is a hugely personal decision though!

Hi Loeylo thanks for your reply. I am sorry for your losses :-( I didn't realise it was 75% of people didn't find problems - that worries me as I would rather know what was wrong rather than being told it's 'just bad luck'. I think I'm just going to go ahead and take all my vitamins and baby aspirin and see what happens and in that time I might get my referral from NHS. I'm waiting for my first AF since my d& on April 23...so it should be here soon. Then we'll be careful next month, wait for next AF then try from there....I miss my babies so much... :( xx

Sorry, just checked and it isn't 75% - it is over 50% though which I still consider to be frustratingly high! It isn't necessarily down to 'bad luck' - there may be a specific cause, but it hasn't been found or it hasn't been conclusive. It could also be that different things have caused each miscarriage. For me, testing is more about being treated than finding out why. Knowing why my babies died isn't going to bring them back, but being able to prevent the same thing happening again would help me so much! I would definitely do what you are doing if we were in a position to try!
Were all your losses at the same stage of the pregnancy? Mines both followed a very similar pattern (baby died just before 7 weeks but not confirmed until 8.5 weeks, both had a long delay in the passage of tissue, both appeared perfectly healthy as I had no bleed or pain to cause me to think anything was wrong) - my midwife told me that due to the similarities between my losses they were likely to have been caused by the same cause.

Yes 50% is still frustratingly high. I feel exactly the same. I want to find out why to prevent it happening in the future. When are you and your partner going to try again?

My first and second pregnancies ended at the same time (around the 7-8 week mark) but the second one happened at around 5.5 weeks - I just started bleeding. Although with that one I'd had a smear test the day before I got a positive pregnancy test so not sure if that had anything to do with it. The smear was particularly painful.

So it is very likely they have been caused by an underlying issue :(

My blood has tested negative for sticky blood so it's not that - I thought that was going to be positive...I'm now going to ask for my thyroid to be tested as I have a lot of the symptoms for that too... x

Whilst I'm not in your exact position, I've been contemplating ignoring medical advice to wait after a MTX shot following an ectopic pregnancy. The one thing that is holding me back is not being able to handle the news if something bad happens again as I'll blame myself which will be far worse than waiting it out until I have the medical green light. I sway daily (in a strong mood this afternoon!).

Could you be given a rough estimation so you can begin planning your WTT journey? In my head, that has helped.

That's exactly how I feel. I want to try but if it goes bad then I will only curse myself for not waiting.

I've just had my blood taken to test for an under active thyroid and general blood screening so will keep updated on what they come back. My AF arrived yesterday (awful) so my body is almost back to normal x

Just wanted to let you know my fourth pregnancy was very successful. I didn't wait for the tests and fell pregnant. My little boy was born on 17/03/14 and he is such a healthy and happy little boy x

Livininhope - that's lovely! I have just lost a third pregnancy (ectopic this time) and I am going for the whole set of tests - I have to wait 3 months anyway as I have had methotrexate which can cause birth defects. I only have another two months to wait though!

I am hoping I am lucky fourth time too :)

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy (slightly belated!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->