Should people with a criminal record

TwilightAgain

LTW for our LO <3
Reaction score
Be allowed to be in the Olympics?

I'm watching them now and I'm sure I just heard that one of the runners is currently in a court case for stabbing someone. Surely this shouldn't be allowed?? Not only does this glorify a criminal because he'll be known as a hero if he takes home a medal but also allowing yet another violent criminal into the country. WTH?

I dont think it should be allowed personally if he has been convicted.

yep I heard that too, I dont think it should be allowed either :(

yes, if theyve either been cleared of all charges or have served their time. If they're out on bail or awaiting a court hearing, absolutely not.

yes, if theyve either been cleared of all charges or have served their time. If they're out on bail or awaiting a court hearing, absolutely not.

I agree to a certain extent but I think about innocent until proven guilty.

Don't know, on the fence a bit!

I agree to a certain extent but I think about innocent until proven guilty.

Don't know, on the fence a bit!

i think its insane we let a man who goes on trial next month for stabbing a woman into our country :nope:

but just because he's going on trial for it doesn't mean that he did it. That's the reason for a trial, to determine guilt. Of course If there were numerous witnesses or cctv which essentially prove guilt then maybe I'd feel a bit differently.

Generally i believe in innocent until proven guilty except i am a bit cynical in the cases of prolific offenders as I've worked in the criminal justice system for 6 years,

Didn't they say it should be pushed back so he could run? I don't agree with that. If it's scheduled, it's scheduled :shrug:

You have to look at the receiving country though. Each one of the athletes, officials and coaches still has to go through the proper immigration channels (visas and such) if they want to enter the country.

I've personally seen a few times where international competitors have been refused entry in to a country that was holding a high level event, be it for lacking paperwork, criminal background, or what have you.

Eeek...thats kind of serious...nope.

i agree with innocent until proven guilty................(although the justice system often screws that up)

i found this; she says he stabbed her because she wouldnt have sex and he says he was robbed by a gang she was part off and she got hurt in the crossfire (not by him).....who knows!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18624697

but just because he's going on trial for it doesn't mean that he did it. That's the reason for a trial, to determine guilt. Of course If there were numerous witnesses or cctv which essentially prove guilt then maybe I'd feel a bit differently.

Generally i believe in innocent until proven guilty except i am a bit cynical in the cases of prolific offenders as I've worked in the criminal justice system for 6 years,

Agree with this.

I think it depends what they have a criminal record for tbh.

I think it depends on what the crime is and also if they have been convicted. Stabbing is very serious but he hasn't been found guilty so I'm not sure we should be banning him. What I really take offence at is those allowed to compete who have previously been found guilty of doping offences. They are cheats at the end of the day and not the sort of role model I would want my children having.

Innocent until proven guilty...he hasn't been convicted yet, so should be seen as innocent until proved otherwise. Also, once people have served their time then yes they should be allowed to compete.

I thought folk from another country, with a conviction or charge for assult were not allowed in?
Or is that just for folk going to the states?

Wouldn't hold much hope for his running then......cant be that fast if the police caught him. hahaha

isnt he a police officer himself????

He's not convicted of anything so I don't know what the issue is? Innocent until proven guilty.

He's not convicted of anything so I don't know what the issue is? Innocent until proven guilty.

But what if the suspect attacked somebody else? Why aren't precautions taken to protect people from those who could potentially be a risk? If they're not a threat then surely they won't have a problem with it and understand that its in the best interests of the public?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->