sick and breastfeeding

lanaross

Mom to Bella and Greyson
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and to my horror realized that I am getting sick. I took loads of vitamins and hoping it will be mild but scared for the bubs. He was born five weeks early and for him if he gets sick, he'd go straight to NICU for every test under the sun even if it's just my cold (Which my doctor actually warned me about yesterday...).

LO is breastfed - anybody breastfed while sick and your bubs didn't get your cold?

Im afraid to say my son is breastfed and has caught my cold and cough however it id nowhere near as bad as mine! Try to minamise kisses and cuddles and fingers crossed he won't catch it xx

Since cold is respiratory, maybe wash yor hands well and wear a mask over your mouth and nose. Your breastmilk should be fine. Get well soon!

Aw sorry :( I have actually gotten sick several times and my baby didn't - must have been the good booby milk as it never happened with my formula baby.

Your baby should be fine, fingers crossed. He'll get your antibodies from the cold virus from your milk. He may get a very mild dose but should not get it bad at all.

would you still take him to the hospital if he gets a fever? he got sniffles today unfortunately but his appetite seems to be good. so worried..

count his breaths per minute, If he takes 60 breaths in 60 seconds he is struggling for air, another test is to look to see if they are sucking in air so hard you can see their little rib cage. My daughter caught a respiratory infection at 5 weeks we rushed her to emergency and it was a huge dramatic ordeal. Take baby to pediatrician they will more than likely tell you to use saline drops and a nasal aspirator. Good luck, this too shall pass.

don't breathe on his face, wash your hands often, and nurse him A LOT. your milk will be almost like a vaccine for him because he's getting all of your antibodies.

don't breathe on his face, wash your hands often, and nurse him A LOT. your milk will be almost like a vaccine for him because he's getting all of your antibodies.

that's the thing, I was such a nazi about my family washing hands in close proximity to LO and I am the one who got sick and I never even get sick!! So frustrated.

So far neither of us have a fever, so holding tight. Nursing often, sometimes every hour (like I have a choice with him! :haha:

Lots of hand washing, don't kiss his hands or face, avoid breathing in his direction and LOTS of nursing. I have chronic sinusitis so I got sick with colds quite often and my son only got sick a handful of times and it was NEVER as bad as me, usually just a stuffy nose and some sneezing. My son is 2 and he's never even had an ear infection. Feel better :)

I am getting over a nasty cold with fever, cough etc. I didn't even realize it was coming on so I shared my food with her, kissed and loved on her. I thought it was allergies at first because I had mowed the lawn earlier that day. This has spread to almost everyone in the house but my daughter is fine. She had a touch of a runny nose for a few hours one morning but by the time she woke from her morning nap, she was fine. It is best to feed lo as much as lo wants while you are sick. You body is producing antibodies to fight your cold and those go through your milk and lo uses them to not get sick or more mildly than what you got. Feed your lo like crazy! It's like medicine!:happydance:

I just recently got super sick (fever, chills etc). I was told to continue to breastfeed. You will pass antibodies on to your LO. He did get sick but it is not anywhere near as bad as me. Hope you feel better soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->