Simon's little brother

esst

Reaction score
We don't know if we are having a little boy or a little girl yet, but I realized at around 6 weeks that if we had another boy, we were SCREWED.

We actually have a list of names we can't use much longer than the names we sort-of-like because we both have huge families and especially on my husband's side, many, many, many boys.

So these are the names we can't use:

James
Simon
John
David
Nicholas
Michael
Cole
Steven
Kenneth
Matthew
William
Nathan
Alan
Ryan
Myles
Jared
Jeffrey
Daniel
Andrew
Tyler
Joseph
Scott
Shawn
Brian
Patrick
Thomas
Charles
Henry
Cameron

I'm sure there are more

And these are the ones we sort-of-kind-of-like:

Edward
Dylan

Middle name would be Richard. That is non-negotiable. The last name is short and ends in "Y" so having a first name ending in "Y" would be a bit too rhymey. I also don't really like first names starting with "L" as the last name begins with that.

I like Dylan - cute!

Other Suggestions:

Simon & Sam
Christopher
Arthur
Benjamin
Mason
Evan (Evelyn for a girl / Evan for a boy)
Gabriel
Jack

I like Dylan, and Ruby's suggestions of Benjamin, Mason. how about the name Brandon?

Simon and Samuel sound good together, I love Edward, but not sure it goes with Richard, but Dylan Richard goes quite well :)

I like Edward the most but EdwARD RichARD is a bit much.

I do like Samuel. Ideally we would like a name that doesn't have an automatic nickname but I think that is being TOO. picky.

I cannot use Gabriel (nephew), Alexander (cousin) or Gregory (uncle) but I love those names too. I actually really love David but my uncle and cousin are Richard David Jr and III so that would be odd. Richard is for both my grandfather and DH's friend.

I think my top two (as of today) are Samuel and Dylan.

The only issue with Dylan for me is how it is becoming more of a girls name. I don't want him to be "boy Dylan".

I know I'm pretty darn picky. I appreciate all the suggestions :)

Oh and Mason is a friend's kid and another friend is naming her son Luke.

Instantly i rhought George sounded good with Simon.

And what about Connor?

George is my great-uncle.

Having a big family sucks sometimes :( I don't want to cause offense if we use a family name because if I use a family name from one side, the other one might get mad, etc.

I did find out during the last pregnancy that our girl name (picked for a favorite actress - specifically a character we like and my good female friend) is actually my MIL's grandmother and mother's names. We were always told her mother was "Rose", not "Rosa" but apparently she always went by the former, her legal name being the latter. Well she decided to tell my father-in-law's mom this when we disclosed this weekend and she looked a little upset. I'm NOT going back to the damn drawing board on that one, but I am making sure that any living relatives we are aware of share the name.

I don't see Dylan as a girls name at all, although it doesn't surprise me as I know a Ryan who's a girl.

How are you pronouncing Dylan? I know most say "Dill-on" but when I see Dylan I think of "Dai-lan" after a school counselor I had that saved my bacon:haha:

Dylan would be "Dill-uhn".

I like Sam/Samuel as well...I feel like " the name" is there but not in my grasp yet.

BLEH.
It feels like every time I come up with something, somehow it gets tossed in the "can't use" bin.

DH and I really liked Neil. Turns out my friend who is pregnant... the baby's father/her boyfriend's name is Neil. I'd only met him a handful of times as it was a relatively new relationship and all three/four of our schedules didn't line up well. Totally forgot about t firhat.

I think we are probably having Dylan as our first choice... for now. Until I decide on something else or find a reason not to use it.

By this point with my first, we'd already settled on a name so I feel pretty bad that this kid doesn't even have one yet.

is your friend naming her baby after her OH? If not I'd totally still use it!

She says she's leaning towards Luke Phillip. Her EDD is mid-June probably around the same time I have my anatomy scan/find out gender. We barely see him as it is and it sucks to just discount a name because essentially "someone we know knows someone" with it. We were close with her until she moved farther away (she was in our wedding) which is why I'd be hesitant. He has a son from a previous relationship who isn't a Jr. so I don't think they intend to use his name at all.

Rhys/Reece
Jacob
Oliver
Finley
Joshua/Josh

I've never heard of a girl Dylan! But then again it is quite a traditional name round here.

I had the same problem with David, loved it for DS's mn but it's FIL's name which caused problems! We went for the variation Dafydd (Dav-ith), might be a little Welsh for where you live but there are loads of other variations.

If she's not using the name and you like it I say go for it. It's not like you're super close friends with him so it wouldn't be weird or anything.

:shrug: MIL told us we should pick names we always loved. Like she chose names from people she grew up around and liked their names. I have a very distant friend named Dominic but we've still agreed on that as our boy name :)

I'm still so... ugh.

Evelyn is officially off the table for now. I happened to look it up on the Social Security website for name popularity and it was number freaking 24. I told my husband this and he rolled his eyes.

I get wanting to name a kid something you love, but I'm not in love with Evelyn like I feel I was with Simon.

I don't NEED an "unpopular" or "unique" name (Simon was #254 in his birth year) but speaking as someone who had the sixth most popular name in her decade, I don't want my kid being "Evelyn L." with three other Evelyn's in her class and four more in her grade. IT sucked and I felt like I had no individuality for a long time. If a couple kids have the name, okay, but #24 scares me because it is on an upward trend. And honestly, I'm not super in love with it PLUS the connotation my MIL has put on it seemed to really upset my GMIL (her MIL) though she'd never say anything.

I still plan to use the middle name Rosa to honor my friend, but the first name will be different if this fetus is a lady.

As for Dylan... I was on the sales floor at work today (a rarity, but I had to run a few things out there) and this awful child was being hollered at by his mother. Guess what his name was? YEP.

*SIGH*

I did toss Elijah in the ring and DH seemed interested, so there's that. Oh baby, please let me figure this out for you soon :\

Dexter! Simon and Dexter are my cousin's dogs names. Lol. But both names are on my list for boys!

Still brainstorming. Our top girl name is Keira.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->