Sister wives

why did it make you angry???

and can you pm me the link, I really want to see it.

This is the weirdest thing - there are two different users who posted the documentary and both have either removed the videos or closed their account in the last couple of days. Pressure from the church, perhaps....?

I've found my library has the DVD so you may be able to get it through yours.

It made me mad for so many reasons!

1. Girls are forced into this at a young age but because they are raised in a tight, controlled community they a) don't know there is another way to married life and b) aren't aware it's illegal so no one seeks help.

2. If one dares seek assistance they are excommunicated

3. Many fathers bed their own daughters because they believe their seed is the best, resulting in birth defects down the line. Women talked about their husbands (or fathers) killing their own deformed children

4. Because only one wife is recognized legally, the rest are considered single mothers and get state assistance, to the tune of $30 million annual cost to the tax payers

5. The men give nearly all their money to Warren Jeffs, and the women give all of their state assistance to their husbands (and therefore WJ), so nearly everyone is living on food stamps. Except for their million-dollar homes, go figure

6. The teen boys get kicked out of the community so there are more wives to go around for the remaining men. These boys have no idea how to function in society, it's sad.

7. If wives dare to raise their voice to their husband they pay for it.

8. Community members are taught that any outsiders are "agents of Satan" so any visitors should be avoided at all costs

9. Pages are ripped out of textbooks so that the children only learn what the elders deem "suitable". Showed grown women crying because they had wanted so badly to learn as children and it was denied them.

10. State/Federal-level decision makers in Arizona (where this took place) are hesitant to do anything about the situation because many belong to the Mormon church and don't want to go against it. (Documentary showed that while LDS publicly condemns FLDS, they actually financially support it)

I could go on. Let me add this documentary focused only on the Colorado City, AZ community (Warren Jeffs), which eventually moved to Texas where they had that raid a few years ago.

It was incredibly eye-opening and horrible.

I enjoy the show but I find myself constantly conflicted. I enjoy a lot of reality-type shows and I'm actually not sure if I "enjoy" this one or not because my conflictions sort of make me uncomfortable. I mean, on the one hand, they seem like a really sweet, down to earth family. But on the other, what they are doing *is* illegal and it's not up to me or anyone to decide what "ok" illegal is and what "not ok" illegal is. So that sort of bugs me. Of course, I still have it DVRd. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->