skiing holiday at 11wks pregnant?

cliqmo

Reaction score
DH and I have just been invited on an all inclusive skiing holiday with my Mum and her partner in mid March. Part of me wants to go but part of me hears big alarm bells at the risks :wacko:

DH thinks we should go and I can do as much or as little skiing as I wish (and we can explain whilst we are there) but I sort of feel like I should tell them before we book (ie before 12wks) as it could dramatically change what they expect from the break... What do guys think?

Thanks for your help xx

i would tell them your worries and why. but also i would go on holiday. you dont have to ski, you can spend your time building snowmen while they ski. from what i remember from skiing, when you fall you are pretty cushioned by lots of snow and it doesnt hurt anyway but i went about 15 years ago so may be remembering that wrong. there will be other things you can do apart from skiing i am sure. go and enjoy your last bit of baby free holiday time while you can :)

you could still go but I don't think i would ski.......I know they say you can do all the same things and the baby is well protected but I for one know the dangers associated with such a sport ( I had a compound fracture of my tibia and fibia a few years ago) but I think it's one of those personal decisions if your comfortable to do so then go on and have fun! but if you have any doubt I would say just sit it out. Would be lovely just to go up and relax for the weekend though!

If it's your mum I would tell her sooner than later, only because it's lovely to share the news with your own mother:) surely she will understand!

you could still go but I don't think i would ski.......I know they say you can do all the same things and the baby is well protected but I for one know the dangers associated with such a sport ( I had a compound fracture of my tibia and fibia a few years ago) but I think it's one of those personal decisions if your comfortable to do so then go on and have fun! but if you have any doubt I would say just sit it out. Would be lovely just to go up and relax for the weekend though!

If it's your mum I would tell her sooner than later, only because it's lovely to share the news with your own mother:) surely she will understand!

ooof so maybe i was wrong about the snowy cushion then :) did you do proper skiing like - good at skiing skiing kermie? i was very much beginner so barely moved my feet :)

I used to be good :) can't do it any more but I grew up in Colorado so went skiing a lot. Think I'm more scared than anything!! But you are right I suppose it depends on your level of ability? I broke my leg on a black diamond with a 45% grade lol probably wouldn't do it again and definitely wouldn't do it pregnant even if I hadn't broke anything haha

I would go but spend my time in the lodge with a hot chocolate and a good book! Use it as time to relax, put your feel up and chill out! I wouldnt risk skiing though x

I would go but spend my time in the lodge with a hot chocolate and a good book! Use it as time to relax, put your feel up and chill out! I wouldnt risk skiing though x

do you realise how good that sounds? bloooomin lovely! :)

Thank you spirit your help, the advice seems quite unanimous! A ski holiday without skis! ;) do you think I ought to warn Mum that my holiday will be much quieter than she is anticipating? DH and I were in total agreement not to tell anyone until after scan, but it seems unfair for them to spend £1200 on an adventure holiday only to learn on arrival a quarter of the party is only signed up for limited adventure :rolleyes: :D

I have told all my family and friends already, and I am 6 weeks! I told them as i want them to be involved with my life, the good and the bad... Unless there is any real reason NOT to tell them, I would let them know before they book the holiday :)

I have told all my family and friends already, and I am 6 weeks! I told them as i want them to be involved with my life, the good and the bad... Unless there is any real reason NOT to tell them, I would let them know before they book the holiday :)

You're quite right, if we MC (god forbid, touch wood it doesnt happen etc) I would tell them anyway, so I dont really know why we're keeping it a secret? Eek how exciting!

I'd defn tell them, as for skiing I think I'd be tempted by easy open runs but only if nice chair lift etc (I can never get off a t-bar gracefully/without hurting myself) Hot choc and log fire sounds much more tempting with maybe a mountain walk

I did go on a skiing holiday at 11-13 wks preg and really enjoyed it. I didn't have any morning sickness or anything wrong with me though. It's one of those decisions you have to make for yourself. But out of politeness I would tell your mum before she books and pays for it. Hopefully she will still invite you anyway, but she might be annoyed at spending that amount of money on you if you're just going to hang about the chalet reading and drinking hot choc.

Also not too sure where you stand on holiday insurance. I have an annual policy and didn't have to pay any extra, but mine is quite a dear one to start off with.

Yes I would just say to your mum you and Dh would love to go with them but you have some news... then you can tell her and say you'd like to go but your level of participation will be drinking hot drinks and relaxing!! That sounds fab.. You can tell them you want to keep the news to yourselves until after the scan.

If you feel you want to do a bit of skiing go for it, baby is very well cushioned in there and can endure alot..but thats totally up to you.. enjoy!

I told her and once the cheers, tears and whooping had subsided she said she absolutely still wants us to go with them! Great advice, thanks guys x x

Go and have fun, but I am a seasoned snowboarder and last year I fractured my clavicle. I am very good, but snow is not a pillow. Don't ski. It isn't worth the risk.

Have fun at the lodge =) There is usually plenty of other activities to enjoy that are safer =)

Thank you spirit your help, the advice seems quite unanimous! A ski holiday without skis! ;) do you think I ought to warn Mum that my holiday will be much quieter than she is anticipating? DH and I were in total agreement not to tell anyone until after scan, but it seems unfair for them to spend £1200 on an adventure holiday only to learn on arrival a quarter of the party is only signed up for limited adventure :rolleyes: :D

speak to your husband first to make sure you both agree, but i would tell her. im sure she will be thrilled but also it will explain why you wont be getting the skis out :)

mind you, you may want to tell your partners parents too just to be fair to both sides. let us know what you do and enjoy your holiday - jealous :)

I told her and once the cheers, tears and whooping had subsided she said she absolutely still wants us to go with them! Great advice, thanks guys x x

oh thats lovely :) so excited for you :) you will both have lots to talk about on your jouney :)

aww thats great and brilliant you had such a lovely reaction :hugs:

Enjoy your hols x

Yay, I'm glad you told her and she still wants you to come. Personally I would still ski, yes there are risks involved but you can minimise them if you are sensible, I'd probably stay off blacks ;) even if you break a bone it doesn't mean you will hurt the fetus, it's so well protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->